Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Answer to my Noisey Saginaw question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by statesblue, Jun 23, 2018.

1. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

I finally decided the trans had to come back out of the roadster and I am really glad I did.
    Got it out, drained the fluid out and opened it up. There laying on the bottom of the case was a thrust washer all bent and scared up.
    How I didn't realize it dropped out when I rebuilt it is beyond me but I did. That would certainly account for the marbles rolling around noises.
    It scares me to death to think what would have happened had that washer floated up between two gears. And I did have it out on the highway running along at 65....damn!! I feel very blessed and thankful that nothing did happen.
    Just goes to show you, don't be in a hurry and check, check, double check your work no matter how many times you've done similar jobs.

F&J, Budget36, saltflats and 4 others like this.
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the exact same thing on a 1953 Royal-Enfield "Indian" motorcyle I had rebuilt back in the '60's. Heard the noise, took it apart and found a thrust washer all banged & twisted up. I had that thrust washer hung above my workbench for years to remind me to take my time and double check my work.

Budget36 likes this.