Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ansen slots. When did they come about?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 383 240z, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I am thinking mine are not Ansens

I cant find that stamped or cast in the back side..

but i havent cleaned them up completely

think i see UMC or something like that?..I'll have to take another look..

2. hmmmmm if i can remember when i get home (keep your fingers crossed on this one lol) i will get on my photobucket and post some pics of the back side of the rim for you

3. My father ran Ansen Sprints on our '64 Plymouth Sport Fury "family car":

[​IMG]
    1967 - Fremont, CA

4. I'm just saying that if you want to prove or disprove something you have to go back to the point of that you are trying to prove or disprove.

You can't really decide that something didn't exist in '63 or '62 or even in '66 for that matter looking at an ad in a '67 magazine. I'm just sayin'.

It doesn't really matter to me. Its like the whole billet wheel thing. I know for a fact that a company called krietz made a three piece wheel that resembled a centerline in '59. I know this because I wrote an article on a T bucket that had nothing on it manufactured after '60 and when I called the fella on it he pointed out to me that the wheels came off his midget and he bought them in '59, no he didn't show me the receipt but he did show me where they said krietz on them. He seemed like a pretty honest old fella. They were not cast wheels.

Do I like billet wheels? no i don't, but if I had a pair of krietz wheels I would run them on a trad rod in a heartbeat. I have looked at a lot of old magazines (some of them when they weren't old yet) and don't recall ever seeing the wheels advertised. Doesn't mean that they didn't make them.

Maybe someone will get lucky and come up with an old Ansen catalog or maybe they won't. It is a mute point, I have an old pair of Ansens that I plan to run on the gas roadster/altered, I am not sure how old they are but I know for a fact that if money was there when the old beasty last run there would have been a set of Ansen Sprints on it and I know that it was not in the family after '64 until Alex found it at a swap and put it back in my hands.

Someone will say that it is not correct but it won't really matter I determined a very long time ago that I would not allow myself to be influenced by fools.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I just found this in a Jan 1970 magazine. I noticed that the NEW Ansen IIs used a bolt on center cap and are multipattern. They evolved!:D

6. I have a set of those awful Gyros...lol

[​IMG]

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Tom ..this is what i have.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Weasel

Weasel

Why am I not surprised????;)

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

My favorite aluminum 5 slot.....ET's.....

[​IMG]

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You dont like them? They are one of my favorite wheels. I would LOVE a set for my Duster. What bolt pattern are these? 5 on 4.5?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

>>>Sold<<<I have had these Sprints since Hi-school, If someone needs them they can be had for 200. GM 4 3/4 no broken screws, believe they are 15x10, and no Issues, That being said I'm sure if they sell, 3 months from now I will be into a Gasser project and kick my own ass for selling them, just like when I sold my Hemi, 4 months later I ended up with a FED.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Really, I think the guy is working on a starting a wheel museum! Sure has some neat stuff.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man they look good on there. Seems like your dad was a diehard mopar guy?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I noticed in the pic in the ad I posted, there are no screw holes for the cap.

15. pdq67

pdq67

Fwiw, I still have my Fenton 14" x 7" and 9" slotted rims with the Phillips screw-on caps with my E- and L-60's still mounted on them up on my shelf out in my garage that came on my car when I got it back in the early '80's.

I let it go with CRAGAR deep dish 14" x 6" Chrome reverse "dog-knots" that to this day I dearly love!!!

And another fwiw, when we bought our new '75 Monza 2+2, I bought a set of Ansen 14" x 7" Sprint wires for $12.50/each because I figure that they only fit it with the smallest diameter tire you could buy back then. Plus, maybe Ansen was going out of business at the same time.

I kept the radial tires and rims and went back stock later when we traded it in on the '77 AMC Matador 4-Dr. Sedan we got because of the coming of our 2nd Son.

The radial tires ended up on my old '64 Fairlane S/W way back then after boneyard hunting 14" x 6" wide rims. And the rims went at the divorce!

pdq67

16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Better late than never I guess.
    Ad from November 67 Hot Rod.
    Were they available earlier? Don't know, this is just the earliest ad I found for them.

[​IMG]

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

See my earlier post. What I thought was REALLY telling was that while Ansen had an ad in EVERY issue of Hot Rod in the previous 2 years, the Sprints were never mentioned until this ad ran, and the word "launch" is used in this ad. I am pretty comfortable that this was when these wheels came available, or at the most, a couple sets might have been sold a month or two prior to the ad running.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

some guys seem to be interested in trying to figure out a timeline for the screw-on caps, Dec. '69 Hot Rod has an ad for the Ansens with the Vari-Slot( yes, I know, that was actually Cragars name for it) inserts, the wheel in the photo also has a screw-on cap.

I am actually trying to find an article on a green flaked Vicky for a guy on another thread, but I keep running across the Ansen stuff.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In the same mag, ET is advertising an aluminum slot that has a screw-on cap and vari-slot called the ET IV.

20. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

The ET 3 1/2 have the dish look closer to a halabrand, also the gyro that Phill has have a flatter look to them I see them on cars in the old videos sometimes they stand out with a small 5.60 bias on them i like the look of both but have ET's If anyone has a set of 15 x 12 Ansens the dog dish type let me know a buddy of mine needs a set thanks Trouble

21. ok finally remembered... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  22. NealinCA

NealinCA

Does anyone have more info on these wheels? Like a catalog showing sizes made?

I have had a pair of 15x8.5's and finally found some 15x7's for the front. These were the first 7's I have seen, much less anything narrower.

Neal

23. I have a set of the newer reproductions on my 66 Chevy. I bought a set of American Racing caps off Ebay awhile back because the originals were delaminating.
    These are 15x7 all around with 235/70/15 fronts and 255/70/15 rears.

Attached Files:

24. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Those look good^^ I haven't seen any of the reproductions on anything yet. The ones I saw pictures of didn't look right, but I think they were the 16" or 17" version they offer.

25. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

There is an ad in my Oct. 1964 issue of Speed & Custom for Astro wheels that favor the Ansens, but they're "chrome" so I assume they're steel. I'm guessing they're the same or similar wheels as the ones on the cockroach.

Attached Files:

26. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

!5 x 13 6 pin. Were on a rear eng super mod built in 1967.

Attached Files:

27. sololobo

sololobo

I have some kind of a no-no on mag style wheels, they just seem to be a competition car only look to me. I have seen them on some rides and thought they looked pretty cool, but I guess I am just stuck in a steel-wheel mode. ~Sololobo~

28. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

did Ansen Sprint Rims come in a 15x7.5 size?

yup just got a pair....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Astros were chromed, stamped steel.

30. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Ansen Front Runners seem too light for Aluminum. Must be really thin.
    I was told Ansen never make magnesium rims...... My Americans on the rear match except the color os off on the front rims.

[​IMG]