Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another wide five wheel question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gkgeiger, Jul 14, 2012.

1. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

First off, I did a search and couldn't find a specific answer so I'll try this. I want to take the centers out of my wide five wheels and install them in different rims (wheel shells). Has anyone done this and what later model, readily available junk yard wheels have the proper inside diameter? I would buy new rims (shells) if I could find a supplier for 16X5 and 16X6 sizes. The only place that I can find that sells any is Speedway and they are 15". My first real job was at a place called Motor Rim. We used to make wheels all the time using existing centers and new outer rims made by Gdy Motor Wheel and Kelsey Hayes. I can't find anything on these now. I followed some sources listed in other posts but no luck. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. dubcee

dubcee

wheel kid found some for me, fwiw

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

4. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Did he sell you the outer shell and you installed the centers or did he build you wheels? Thanks

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Check out his website rallyamerica.com

6. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Been there, it doesn't say anything about what I'm looking for.

7. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Call. What you want is custom. No off the shelf parts.

8. racemad55

racemad55

Just got 16"x 10"s from wheelkid (rallyamerica) wide 5 centers fit like a glove,call them,excellent to do business with!

9. I found some modern 16 inch rim hoops that take the wide five centres. If i remember correctly they were 1999 or so BMW steels and the fit was perfect.

10. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I probably can't afford those.

11. 1999, I would imagine I can go to the you-pick yards here and find 10 of them.

12. johnhstreets

johnhstreets

I had great work done by Stockton Wheel here in CA
    They can put on 6.5 in rims at various offset but any thing narrower is a custom rim
    Work is first class and turn time around reasonable and price is fair.

13. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I went to Pull a Part here in Akron this morning. First no BMW's. Most everything is 80-90's domestic. Hardly anything with 16" wheels, and the ones that were had alloy wheels. Big waste of time. I'll keep looking though.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you know what wheel measurements you need check the local tire stores that sell a lot of custom wheels. Sometimes they have a stack of take off rims out back that they will sell pretty reasonable.

15. mcbay

mcbay

I talked to The Wheel Kid at the LARS about the same thing. Two choices according to him. The only hoop available (new) is 6 1/2" and the back space is limited. The other choice is custom using used hoops, offset cutting them and welding them together (that's what Stockton does). There is a guy in New Jersey that cuts the rim on a lathe and adds a section to suit your needs and is not real expensive.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is their service any better that it used to be?

Did they make good on all of the outstanding work that was left hanging?

Research this company before doing any business with them.

Buyer beware.

Do an intro, them's the rules, newbie.