Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another "What's It Worth" Thread - '50 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

My buddy's great grandmother bought this 1950 Plymouth new in Sandpoint Idaho. She drove it to her school (teacher) and back and around town. Was always barn parked. Her husband had it painted pink at one time while he worked at a Chevy dealer. She retired in early 60's and car was parked for many years.
    His mom bought it in '79 or '80 with 40K miles on it and brought to western WA and garaged. Her husband had it professionally painted back to the original blue in the early 90's. It's an okay paint job, not top quality.
    Car has sat for many years but in 2012 had the following done:
    replaced the battery, replaced the starter, replaced the clutch disc and pressure plate and ring gear, cleaned and reinstalled the carburetor, adjusted the points, removed and cleaned the clutch linkage and pivot.
    This summer the same shop got it running again and did the following:
    replaced fuel tank (not sure if this was new/NOS/or used - they had trouble finding one; billed at $450 w/ "ebay" in the notes)
    new fuel pump
    cleaned fuel lines
    new fuel filler neck
    overhauled carb
    new battery
    new front wheel cylinders and brake shoes
    new water pump
    new brake light switch
    new headlight dimmer switch

Here is a link to photos. I'm not sure which color blue is more accurate but my buddy took photos on different days so that's why they look different.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsejWDu

They want to sell the car but they don't know anything about old cars. I like it but have too many cars now. I am tempted to make an offer but really don't know what it is worth. I'm thinking around $5K but would like them to get as much as they can but still be fair. There are so many things that could be done to this car (custom, gasser style, hot rod or leave it stock). If I bought it I'd probably leave it stock as it is such a low mile original car even though it is not a highly desirable model.

What do you all think it is worth? Please don't say "whatever someone will pay for it". That's pretty obvious as everything is worth what ever someone will pay. I hate ads that just say "best offer" without a starting price.
    31592077647_7d46190c50_o (Small).jpg 32659143158_b64972bb31_o (Small).jpg 45619057595_655a1a487e_o (Small).jpg 46480670142_c767267a45_o (Small).jpg plymouth_44418329960_o (Small).jpg 31592442617_9ac4cee5ea_o (Small).jpg 31592077647_7d46190c50_o (Small).jpg 32659143158_b64972bb31_o (Small).jpg 45619057595_655a1a487e_o (Small).jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Jalopy Joker and scotty t like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think your in the ballpark on the high side to start off with. 5k is about what I think its worth. I've seen coups struggle to get much more with nice paint.
    I can't imagine that car pink infact I question the accuracy of the color it is.
    Good luck

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Looks like a volvo from the rear. I don't remember seeing that style before ,plenty potential. I would say maybe 7500.00.

4. Depends on the market your in locally
    But I think 5 is realistic

You can try 7 500 if you have time to sell it

It’s a clean running original car that you can jump in and drive, I don’t think that colour is 100% accurate original. But the car is not a super collectable so I don’t think the colour being off should effect the value.
    Any colour is better then pink on that car !!

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I'm assuming the car is in Idaho, also assuming the car has a good title in hand. I don't have any idea how the old car market is in that area. That said, if it runs as good as it looks in the pictures, I think it's a bargain at $5,000. Personally, I'd ask $7,000 or $8,000 and let the looker who's interested go from there. Bill Rinaldi

6. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Car is in Olympia, WA area. Clean WA state title.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is the base model two door that uses the shorter wheelbase (111”) shared with the 3W Business Coupe and all metal Suburban wagon. All other body styles were built on 118” WB. That is not a criticism ....just details about the car.

The lighter shade color rendition in some of the photos is the more accurate representation of the original color.

Over many decades I have owned several ‘49/‘53 Mopars, mostly Plymouth, and have a ‘49 Deluxe Club Coupe (two door sedan in most lingo) that I acquired in 1995. They really drive well for the era....

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pics or it never happened...

9. scotts52

scotts52

Hnstray likes this.
  10. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

11. scotts52

scotts52

Yes indeed but it gives a little reference for price. Same style and those have been sitting there for awhile at $1000. I'm thinking $5000 may be the upper limit for the PNW. You may do better with eBay. Unfortunately, these old Plymouths don't have the following of comparable Fords and Chevys.

12. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Yeah, that's what I told my buddy. If were a Ford or Chevy it would be worth a lot more and sell faster. The car isn't really ugly but certainly not a looker either. Probably hard to get parts for it too.
    I guess I'll tell him to list it for around the $5K price and see what happens. We can lower the price as time goes on. If it sits long enough and price goes way down I might pick it up and do something with it. Big Hemi with a blower and a straight axle?!? :eek::D

13. Pretty nice survivor… but as been pointed out, not a popular model. The early '50s mopars just didn't have the styling of the Ford and GM offerings, although the fastback coupe like this one is one of the better looking ones. Worn seat/floormats and missing rocker panel trim are minuses, so a $5K asking price is probably on the high end. I know of a few other early mopars that have been bought/sold locally, none brought big money.

And while performance is unexciting to say the least, those flathead sixes will run a looong time... A good entry-level car.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. ...those Plymouths are not a bad lookin design,...the fastbacks are pretty rare,...in that cond. I'd start around $7-8000, someone will want that unmolested unit.
    good luck with the sale

15. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I'd probably be interested in it.

16. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I just recieved the January 2019 issue of NSRA Street Scene Magazine. On page 76 is a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer, the twin sister to your Plymouth, even appears to be the same color. It looks to be perfectly restored, but I sure doubt that it's perfectly stock. HHMMMM, maybe the price just went up!! Bill

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nice old Plymouth, don't see the fastback that often, most are the dumpy formal roofline. A set of decent wheels would go a long way, as would some seat covers.
    I saw a yellow one like that a few years back, it had IIRC a 340 /727 Torqueflite, Torque Thrust wheels with blackwalls, and some kind of leather and tweed interior, and they were asking $9,000 I think for it.
    I'd rock it. Wrong side of the world though for me.

18. She is a NICE looking car!Bruce.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`d be interested in the motor and tranny if you were closer to the Midwest.

20. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

They have the missing rocker trim piece.

21. 62rebel

62rebel

Sign up on the P15/D24 website and post it there. It's not a hot rod and making it into one will ruin what value it has. It's not a simple car to put a V8 in and still has pretty good mechanical parts coverage.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The body I the least produced style. The condition looks to be outstanding. If the mileage is real. And it starts runs drives and stops, depending on you negotiating skills I would say it is easily in the 6 to 7.5 k area. You would be getting a go any where nice looking car. Except for brakes they are easy to repair. Parts are still available. They are well engineered and when driven within their design envelope are reliable. Keep oil in it keep the revs below 4000 and it will treat you well. And with hardend valve seats from the factory no need to add lead substitute. Not a lot of power but a drive at 60 all day vehicle.

62rebel and Truckdoctor Andy like this.