Register now to get rid of these ads!

* Another 'what's it worth?' - running 235 + T5 *

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikey1610, Nov 9, 2007.

1. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

Yea I know another whats it worth thread but I don't want to be the asshole who asks too much.
    We pulled the 235/T5 combo out my 54. It runs good but needs to have the gaskets replaced as it leaks oil.
    The T5 is from a S10 and works perfectly. The exhaust manifold has been split and it comes with the exhaust system too.
    Any sugestions?
    Thanks
    Mike
    :confused:

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

The engine is probably only worth a couple of hundred bucks. Straight sixes aren't worth jack, even rebuilt. I'd say $200 I see them all the time completely rebuilt with zero miles for 5 and 6 hundred dollars.

The T5 I have no idea. I would guess 2 or 3 hundred depending on the condition.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow really..i guess i want too much for my 235 than..guess it will never sell..i really hate to give away a perfectly low mileage 235..oh well if it dont sell, I'll use it..i know its a good one.

4. I Drag

I Drag

5. The '54 235 is a little more desirable than the earlier ones as it's a full-pressure oiler. I sold my running (and leaking :)) babbit-pounder 235 for $100.

The T5 should help the sale...$300?

Bryan

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thats what I am saying. If I could afford it I would buy every 235 or 261 I could get my hands on. I love the dang things!

People don't seem to care about them at all. They all just want a 350 or something.

Sometimes you will see one that is rebuilt and painted with some speed goodies for a thousand to fifteen hundred. But they barely ever sell.

Like I said, you see them all the time between $200 and $500 or at least here in Texas you do.

7. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

350-450
    I Boughta 250 Last Winter With Less Then 30k Miles On It For 150 With Tranny ...and Its Twice The Motor Of The 235...and I Dont Have To Special Order An Oil Filter!!!:d :d
    Are You 350 Combo'n Your 54?

8. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

where did you get an adapter to hook up your 235 to the T5? I see that in the Rajo conversion Six's future....

9. RF

RF

Mike, I PM'd you.

CGR, you don't need an adapter, just the right bellhousing/flywheel/clutch etc.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

why would anyone give up a perfectly running 6 cly. for gas money?
    I could see if it needed to be rebuilt or somethin'

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I believe that a Chevy truck bellhousing from an inline 6 has the right bolt pattern but I don't know which year.

12. Supply and demand. There are tons of 'em around here and most people who are swapping are either using SBC's or better I6's.

Bryan

13. alannator

alannator

just my point of view here on 235's. I like em and think the full pressure ones are great motors and worth probably alot more than you can get for one that is a good runner.
    I had a 53 210 sedan that gave me around 20 mpg and I drove it across state alot for a couple years and never had a hitch. A few of the guys I know that installed sbc in them regretted it but it is all in what you like and want in more power also. I have also herd that later year inline sixes are better.

14. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

ive turned 235's down for free in the past, and probably could get 2-3 for free with a few calls...

the trans is probably worth a couple hundred...

15. 6inarow

6inarow

I have 7 or 8 of them. I love them, but they are a dime a dozen. If you want to sell it, take what you can get. $200 is a lot to give for one. better yet, trade for something you need.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

A couple hundred for the tranny... the 235 is worth about scrap value around here, used to be given away, now they want $50 for them

17. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

So it doesn't matter what 235 you use (truck, car, early or late) or T5 (Mustang or S10) it works? Sweet!

18. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

It's not worth anything. I'll buy it for scrap price and shipping.

19. It runs, but it's a '54 - a 5-6-7 motor can be worth a little more to a restorer who wants one with the right code and date castings on it. If you can't get $200 for it, you're doing something wrong - I go to the you-pull-it, it's going to cost me $150 for the motor and $50 for a core charge. Plus add at least part of the cost of having the manifold split.

The T5, again You-pull-it price is like $100 with core charge, but I never see one that cheap on the open market. You don't say if you have a truck bellhousing and the input shaft shortened, or have an adapter plate in there.

You're on the west coast, too, that's like an automatic 10-25% price increase.

I think as a complete, ready to go combo I'd ask $750 for it, and take the first $500 someone waved at me. If it sits around or I want to just dump it, take less, or break it up.

20. stay with the s10 t-5! one thing that causes most of issues is the input shaft slines, i believe the stock chevy trans is 10 sline and the t-5 is 20+ you can always purchase a jeep t-5 input shaft and end up with 10 spine input same as stock chevy car or truck. check out www.stovebolt.com AND www.chevytalk.com can answer any t-5 to 235 chevy questions.:D :D

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

Ford has a different bolt pattern, i think, and the shifter is at the back of the tail. S-10 has the right nose bolt pattern, shifter in the center, sort of. Camaro has chevy pattern and shifter at the back?

Need a fine spline clutch disc like from an astro van

Make sure the nose on the trans has the right diameter for the bellhousing you get. I had one I needed to make a ring to adapt the two diameters. The trans was smaller than the bell.

Frank