Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another what is thread....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Ok guys, just saw this at a buddies place, what do we have here? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403156711.023870.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403156727.573661.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403156745.657163.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403156757.607510.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

maybe an Austin A40 saloon

[​IMG]

3. That is correct,Austin A-40 Devon. JW

4. Thanks guys! Unfortunately he's not willing to part with it, so another one sits and rots.....

5. RamJet1

RamJet1

He's probably keeping it due to the rare factory sunroof.

6. No he didn't have a clue what it was, (neither did I). If you saw the rest of his yard it would all make sense! Now for the dreaded question...is it actually worth anything? How common are they?

7. Very common in New Zealand and England and not worth much here. JW

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There were no less than 4 serious blown A40 gassers at Fremont Drags between '61 and '64...
    one was the owner/driver's wife's former grocery getter.

9. Ok so cool but not really valuable, the talk last night involved a 427 BBC but there were some adult beverages involved....I'll hound him to do something with it! Thanks again

10. When I said they're not worth much that was the 4-door, the 2-doors are worth a lot more. You could convert it. Good luck. JW

11. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

see if he'll give ya that steering wheel!

12. Funny I just sent him a text saying if he's just going to let it sit I want the steering wheel!!

13. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Me too, first thing I saw was the steering wheel.

14. Rckt98

Rckt98

First car I ever owned 43 years ago was an A40.

15. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

I wouldn't bother you can never make a rod out of an A40

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Dave B.

Dave B.

You're right - it's not possible...
    [​IMG]
    This one belongs to my friend Billy. And yes, the spelling is intentional - to point out that it's a FOUR door!

17. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I always find it interesting that folks think certain cars "Aren't Worth Much".....
    Lots of folks like Austins, on both sides of the pond....

Attached Files:

18. I prefer the pickups in a gasser style. Any good pics of those?

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The sun roof wasn't rare... it was standard equipment along with bucket seats upholstered in good quality fake leather, carpet on the floor, full gauge package, 4 cyl OHV engine, 4 speed trans, IFS front suspension. This was a very well equipped small car for the times, a much nicer better equipped car than a VW beetle .
    A unique feature was the trunk. Notice how the trunk lid hinges from the bottom, when open it forms a luggage rack. You can put a full size steamer trunk in there and lash it down.

They sold a lot of them in Canada and the US, in the early fifties (pre Beetle) 90% of the import cars sold were English.

Their downfall was short engine life, 20000 to 30000 miles, and lack of support from the manufacturer and dealer network.

If you found one today it would be a cinch to build a mini hot rod. Engine, suspension etc were used for years, right up to the 1980s in MGs for example. You could use MG suspension, brakes, engine, trans, rear axle and they practically bolt in.
    Or, MG suspension etc with a hot Japanese 4 cylinder or maybe BMW.

Years ago I had a few of them, and even an Austin A40 Sport convertible with aluminum body by Jensen. I was impressed with the way they were built, considering this was a 1947 design.