Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another transmission related questin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigRed390, Apr 29, 2007.

1. BigRed390

BigRed390

Got a new carb for the galaxie. (390 with a cruise-o-matic). Edelbrock performer 750 cfm (remanufactured, and CHEAP!). The instruction manual recommends buying part # xxxxx, a transmission kickdown cable adapter that goes on the opposite side as the throttle linkage. Yeah, yeah. I know we don't need no stinkin instructions to bolt on a carb, but I don't even have a kickdown cable run to the left side of the factory carb, so do I even need to worry about hooking one up?

Kind of a dumb question, but I'm new to FE setups, and didnt' know if mine had been dicked with before I bought it. All the pictures i've found don't show anything running to the left side of the carb, so I don't think I've got anything to worry about.

Your thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

-Red

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

What year is the Galaxie? the engine and trans. combo?
    I am not sure, but...maybe Edelbrock ( I use Holleys, or Rochester, for trips, so???) would like you to replace your kickdown rod, w/ a cable ( which I s'pose they will provide, for a fee!) I don't know if/when the rod was ditched in favor of a cable, by Ford, only that nothing I ever owned ( up to '65 ) had a cable setup...only a rod...without it, it will operate...just no downshift, under hard acceleration.
    Is the rod present, at all?

3. BigRed390

BigRed390

Sorry. 62 galaxie, 390 with cruise-o-matic, factory 4 barrel. The kickdown rod appears to be part of a complicated mess right in front of the firewall to the right of the carb. It seems to be integrated into the throttle linkage. There's nothing on the left, and it downshifts fine without said recommended cable setup. And yes, they will be happy to provide it, for a small fee. Everybody makes everything a PITA unless you've got an sbc, dammit!

I'm kind of wondering if that cable setup is for the AOD stuff or maybe the C6's????

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

hmmmm...
    well, it sounds like everything is in working order, in current form, but...I don't know if there is a provision for the rod on the edelbrock linkage??? I s'pose if there isn't, then they got ya' by the part# xxxxx cable, so to speak. Unless you can "adapt it" I wish I could be of more help, on this one...I really have never used an Edelbrock carb on anything...I am guessing that they just would like to see you omit the rod in favor of "contemporary" technology...anybody else???

5. BigRed390

BigRed390

Hey, I appreciate it a lot. What i'm saying about the rod (I'm terrible about getting information properly presented) is that it's attached to a bunch of springs, etc near the firewall. The only thing attached to the carb is the throttle linkage. The kickdown rod appears to be in this mess. I guess I really wanted to know if this was normal for 62 FE's, or if the previous owner had done something stupid (He did a lot of stupid stuff that I'm having to fix).