Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another survivor found,A Bitchin 32 Roadster!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Mar 6, 2012.

1. titus

titus

ITS ALIVE, figured id put this up in the front of the post, theres many updates thru out this post, most of it around page 7 8 and 9.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_nqg-R8XrRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ive began the work on the car, always check the last pages for updates!

\'58 Front View.jpg

[​IMG]
    So im freinds with Chadly Johnson who does alot of photo shoots and magazine articles for TRK, OSK and CKD, well a while back a co-worker of his told him his father in law had this old roadster, possibly a 32, well it turned out to be just that, a 32 ford roadster, Chadly of course worked out a deal to go photograph and do a story on the car, that can be seen in issue #28 of Traditional rod and kulture, well anyways when he was going to go see the car and wanted me to tag along, one, to keep the car owner busy. two, to talk with him about the and see his plans, well me and Ed hit it off, (Ed by the way is the owner of the car), hes 71 and has owned the car since 1958, and the cars been sitting since about 59', he told us "well back then the flathead was tired and overhead engines were where it was at, so he started the install of a nailhead, well, he ran into some difficulties and never finished the install, so the car has been sitting since, he got buys with life and just never managed to get back going on the car, his plan was to start working on it after retirement, well that had came and he hadnt gotten to working on the car. and thats were me and Chadly came in, he hadnt been in the sport for years and really didnt know what it had become or what was the in thing etc etc, so that day i talked to him we talked about the car and what he was thinking of doing with it, i went on to tell him that the car is a very special car, i told him of the whole survivor bit etc etc, he had wanted to put a 302 ford motor in it, but i then started talking to him about the flathead, he kinda liked the idea but didnt know, and didnt want the trouble of a flathead, the car is located in Milwaukee and we had planned a double trip of photographing the 32 and making it to the Cheaterama, so we told Ed he should go, well he did, we showed him around all the flathead cars and some other survivors etc etc. I had also discused that i work on Hot rods at home etc etc. Well a few weeks went by and Ed called me, he wanted to come to my place and discuss some ideas about the and that he wanted me to do the work on it.
    \'58 Front View.jpg 0707111342.jpg
    [​IMG]

So here we are, Me and my buddy Lance went and picked up the car yesterday and we are going to start a mechanical restoration, Eds future plans are to do a full restore on the car but i had convinced him to just do the mechanical and safety related items.
    [​IMG]

Also, we are trying to track some of the history down, maybe who owned the car before him and where it came from.
    [​IMG]

Ed bought the car from Pabts Motors in Milwaukee in 1958
    [​IMG]

The owner that had traded it in to Pabts motors for a sports car had the last name of Friedman and his family owned teh Schusters department store. he had raced the car at Four Mile Road America track in Elkhart Lake, WI.
    [​IMG]

There are many many distinguising items on the car include alot of fab work, alumunum hood sides and rear fenders, extended rear lower panel, round tube front and rear crossmembers and many many more items, the flathead Ed pulled was equiped with Grancor heads and 3 97s, he doesnt remember the intake. On that note we are seaching for a set of resoanbly price Grancor heads, early of late.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

cool,saw that in the latest issue,glad to hear its gonna hit the street again

3. daddy_o's_diner

daddy_o's_diner
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

awesome car and an even better story!

4. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Great car and story - Mayor

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Good GAWD, that's awesome, Jeff!

6. Murphy32

Murphy32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

7. MMMMM grancor :::drool:::

8. jimbob

jimbob

neat car, neat story.

9. Are you kidding me!
    That is beyond awesome.
    You showed him the way!

10. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

That is too cool. Love the story.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Absolutely love hearing these stories and the likes of them seem to flock your way Jeff. Great story, great car!!!

12. brady1929

brady1929

sweet hot rod

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

that thing is so damn cool!

14. Willy301

Willy301

Awesome find....and back story, hope you can track the lineage back and maybe talk to the previous owner's family, bet they have some pics of it racing!

15. pumpman

pumpman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure glad you came into Ed's life to save that little beauty.

16. Ed could not have found a better person to help bring the car back!

17. Beau

Beau

Amazing! They keep finding you!

18. kisam

kisam

What a beautiful roadster!

19. Cool find, cool story, thanks for sharing.

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That's a Stewart Warner "8 in a row" dash panel.. Very cool roadster.....

21. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Very cool!!!
    Get that thing safe and running and then go back and take Ed for a ride.

22. you guys rock !

23. Wow, thats great.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride & story. hope that when Ed decides to finally sell the roadster - many years from now - he will put you on the first to call list.

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed

That's a great find. Even better story to go along with it. I'm glad you were able to talk him out of fully restoring this thing as it's beautiful as it sits.

26. rld14

rld14

Wow, I can't believe it.. Seems like every day I'm reading about another unearthed '32 on here. Amazing story!

27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Wow, I love threads like this. Subscribed...

28. F&J

F&J

Yes, that is beyond cool, and with the story, it's even better. Just wonder why nobody considered the nailhead that is in it now..

29. titus

titus

Just to clear it up, i just explained to Ed about how the car was neat the way it is, i let it be his descision to leave it the way it is.

Heres some pics of some other parts that came with the car.

A mechanical flathead tach drive

and the old bell auto parts hand psi pump

and some air scoops and an air cleaner.

Anyone have any pics of the rest of the mounting and maybe the spud drive for the tach drive?

JEFF

Attached Files:

30. titus

titus

and heres his pic from prom night!

[​IMG]