Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Stromberg 97 jetting question !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy32, May 10, 2010.

1. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I have installed my new English 97 Strombergs on my flat head V12. I started with the original ones which were 0.45 mains and 0.65 power valves. After driving 50 miles or so I pulled the plugs and they looked rich. I than decided to install a smaller main jet 0.43 and change the power valve to 0.69 . I have put in over 75 miles and pulled the plugs again to read them again they looked rich. Is the power valve going to a 0.69 could be making it to rich and maybe going back to a 0.65 or should I go down on the mains with 0.41 and leaving my 0.69 power valves in. Here in Phoenix we are at 1,600 feet above sea level. Let me know

Thanks for the help

Frenchy

2. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

What is rich to you..Color...The P.V. doesn't open till later. 0.69 is smaller and 0.43 is smaller..I believe I recommended using jet adjusters rather then swapping out jets..Put the stock .45 in and dial them in with the adjusters..EASY..
    Duane..

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frenchy,
    I'm no expert, but have several years experience with original, and the new Stromberg (English) 97s. Your jetting sounds on the money, as does the power valves. Keep in mind the PVs pass fuel (open) anytime the accelerator is pumped. The PVs are HELD open during wide open throttle by the pump shaft, but all PVs flow the same amount AT wide open throttle, just like Holley vacuum operated power valves.
    Assuming ignition/timing is OK, and the floats are set right, and "float", I would try changing to hotter plugs, as I did. I went from NGK B6Ls to B4Ls and they read much cleaner. Todays gas does not color the plugs like it used to, one more thing to consider. IMO.
    Bob

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i also went hotter on my plugs with good results . went from champion 18 - 20's . still rich , but doesnt foul the plugs as b 4 ................ steve

5. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thank You everyone I hate to be a bother with this issue but I am just asking for some help. The plugs are very black and I use the Champion H10C. I will be trying NGK B4Ls and see the outcome. Duane Thank You for all the help you have given me. I will let everyone know. I do not foul plugs.

Thanks
    Frenchy

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if they are very rich , you will . nice car by the way ............... steve

ps: i have a new set of "69" PV's if anyone can use them ........................

7. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Where can I find these plugs NGK B4Ls. I have called a couple of stores and no one has them.

Thanks !
    Frenchy

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our local NAPA stores carry NGK plugs. They stock B6Ls, but had to order the hotter B4Ls.

9. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thanks Bob I will try a set of the NGK B4Ls and see . You have them on your flat head right!

Frenchy

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I'm running B4Ls. I do not use Champs, and the last Autolite 216s I bought were made in China and had terrible quality, so I'm sticking with NGKs for now.