Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another round track heap 30s Plymouth coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Aug 22, 2022.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

The wide 5 left front hub was a safety feature used on many dirt track cars. The left front was under the highest strain and the old stock parts like the wheels, or the spindles often failed. The wide five took most of the load off the wheels because the amount of wheel center was reduced and they had more robust spindles. Later years the upgrade was to 3/4 ton truck hubs and spindles welded to the original spindle bases.
    If you look, you will also see that the left front wheel is also off set towards the outside, and the tire sits at a pretty big angle. That all helped that left front survive for more races.
    The front bumper is probably a Dodge front axle, Dodge used that style tube axle and drop. I believe the rear bumper/crossmember is also an axle, has about the same curve.
    This may have been a cutting edge car at the time, there are a lot of tricks an experienced builder would have incorporated.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it was a Ford you could add 2 more zeros to the price.

Budget36 and anthony myrick like this.
  3. iagsxr

iagsxr

There are a few vintage racing clubs around where I live.

That thing would be back on the track by next spring if it were up to me.

anthony myrick likes this.
  4. At least one more zero with probably a 1 in front of the 5

5. It was the right front, that required the use of a safety hub. The left front gets light as the car corners. This was also why a smaller left front lire was used.

A safety hub is adding bolt on 3/4 truck style spindle to the stock front spindles
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] upload_2022-8-25_12-25-8.png

6. Thanks.
    I got learnded

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

OOPS!, Right front. Sorry brain fart.

8. That’s a cool dodge right there !

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.