Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Ozzie Build

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BS!, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BS!

BS!

I don’t think so haha. Between here and you tube it’s more a journal for myself and kids as to what I have done and what we get up to with the car.
    No vacuum advance on this. Dave locked it up for me.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  2. BS!

BS!

I have been chipping away on the tune and doing a bit of prep for our Nostalgia meet coming up in August when I noticed the car had developed a bit of a knock. Fellow competitor Brian Handke Was in the area and gave me a kick up the bum and volunteered to give me a hand to start pulling it apart and investigating what was going on. Thankfully early in the process we discovered the problem. Flywheel bolts had backed themselves out and luckily an easy fix. There are locktabs on these from the factory (which I forgot to fit). Crisis averted for now and another reason why I love this class. A fellow competitor happy to give up his Saturday to lend a hand and give me a kick up the bum to stay motivated and keep preserving.

Attached Files:

Brian Handle likes this.
  3. spanners

spanners

I had that happen twice. After the second time I used ARP red motor bolts with Loctite and actually torqued them. Haven't had the problem since but every couple of race meetings I take the flywheel cover off and put a pry bar between the flywheel and block and check for movement.
    The first time happened at Willowbank nostalgias when it was a 2 day event. I noticed the clutch wouldn't disengage in the staging lanes so put it on the trailer , laid underneath while my wife pushed the clutch in and noticed the flywheel moving. Started dismantling everything and managed to drop the gearbox on my head which gave me a black eye for the rest of our holiday. Two bolts were backed out and 2 were sheared off. Matt brought some bolts down for me the next morning but they were too big so borrowed some minesite grade Loctite off Benny, screwed the 2 loose ones back in and used 2 high tensile bolts I took out of the trailer brackets that were the same thread but were too long. A couple of flat washers and got to the staging lanes with minutes to spare. Did six or seven runs that day and had to use a rattle gun to undo the bolts when I got home.

4. BS!

BS!

Yes speaking to Matt and a few others it seems it’s happened to a few of the guys running in the class and sounds like something I need to add to my post meet checklist.

Ordered some ARP hardware last night. Hopefully I can make some time to get them in prior to the nostalgias (should be a pro at removing and replacing the box now I’ve had some practice) but for now the original bolts are in with all the threads cleaned up and a heap of loctite.

5. spanners

spanners

I reckon what you've done will get you through the Nostalgias but if it irks you change them out. I clean the crank flange with carb cleaner and have a good look at the mating surface of the flywheel. Mine had moved that much there were dags of metal that had to be machined flat.

BS! likes this.
  6. BS!

BS!

I couldn’t help myself. I spent Saturday pulling everything back apart with the help of number one son and the father in law. To my suprise my 7yo didn’t get bored in the first 5 mins and actually helped me get the box out from start to finish.. Proud dad moment there. We threw the factory bolts in the bin (although they were in there pretty good this time), tidied up the carnage (I had a few dags/damage as well) and installed ARP hardware throughout which wasn’t without its issues but I’m happy and confident with the end result. While the father in law was giving me a hand he also took great pleasure point out that I had installed the spigot bush backwards (explaining why it was always a dog to get the gearbox in) so I rectified that while I was at it meaning the gearbox pretty much fell in this time and got the rest of my prep list taken care of. Weather forecast for the nostalgias this Saturday is not looking good but putting out positive vibes in the hope Mother Nature is kind

Attached Files:

Crosley likes this.
  7. spanners

spanners

I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself.
    The car survived Gunnedah but I got eliminated in the pre final. I dialed 8.82 and ran a 8.825 but snoozed on the line with a .235 reaction. The Commodore that beat me did a 8.704 on a 8.7 dial with a reaction of 0.08 . Damn good race but, no backing off.
    Presently on our way to Queensland but blown an intercooler hose on the Navara tow car and are stranded 45klm from Grafton. Getting towed to a mechanic tomorrow.
    Hope the weather changes.

Crosley likes this.
  8. BS!

BS!

That is some tight racing. Glad to hear the car survived and hopefully a quick fix and back on your way.

In my focus on getting the car together I forgot to enter the nostalgias by the cut off….

Either way I’ll come out and support.

9. spanners

spanners

Contact them and see if you can get a late entry. It can't hurt to try.
    Tow car operational and staying at our son's place at Bonogin till Friday morning and then staying at Ipswich Friday night. Are you still going to test and tune Friday night? I'll come over if you are.

10. BS!

BS!

Yeah I will do. Glad to hear you are back on the road. If I can get my entry sorted the plan is to
    Do the test and tune Friday night and camp at the track. Trying to ignore the current weather forecast..

11. BS!

BS!

I had my entry accepted this morning so good news there. Now for Mother Nature to be kind!

Crosley likes this.
  12. spanners

spanners

Good work. Let's hope the weather is kind. So far we've done 1700 Klms so hopefully to go racing.

13. spanners

spanners

Please excuse the late model sneaking past me.

BILL LUPIANO and Crosley like this.
  14. BS!

BS!

Looking forward to seeing 2 mighty greys running together!

15. BS!

BS!

Well the weather was not kind and the Willowbank team made the call to postpone the event. It’s been rescheduled to November (traditionally the wet season here) so will try again then. The only 2 days with rain forecast over the next fortnight are today and Saturday. Such is life..

Attached Files:

Crosley likes this.
  16. spanners

spanners

One day the planets will align and we'll get together. After I spoke to you on Friday we packed up and headed home. Left Burleigh Heads at 11.30 am and got home at 1.45am Saturday. The last 90 klms was done with the tow car in limp mode. Took 2 1/2 hours to do a section that normally takes 1 1/4 . All up 3,000 klms and spent $984 on fuel.
    I was going to do a thread on the whole trip but because the Nostalgias were canned I'll piggyback your thread and show this video from Gunnedah. It's the side on shot from the semi final.
    By the way the Mangrove Mountain club brought their Slant Six HAMBster up with a young bloke driving. First time in the car and first time drag racing. He did alright but was eliminated early.
    [​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  17. BS!

BS!

Yeah unfortunately it was not to be but I’m sure we will eventually get there.

I did see photos of the mangrove mountain hambster out and about. Good to see!

I’ll probably try and run a test and tune to see how the strombergs go now and continue to collect the bits and pieces I need for the su’s.

On a side note I caught up with my old mate Lindsay on the weekend on a parts runs out west after the cancellation of the nostalgias. I ended up swapping one of my ally rocker covers for the rocker cover off the Ute including the timing tags from Lake Gairdner.

I’ll clean and polish it up and get it on soon.

Attached Files:

Crosley likes this.
  18. BS!

BS!

Not much happening on my side at the moment. Hoping to get the car out on the first of October for a test and tune but will see how the weather is a bit closer.

In the meantime I’ve been picking up a few bits and pieces and continue to work plan out and dummy up the SU’s. I’ll stick with the strombergs until after the nostalgias and then give the SU’s a shot in the new year.

I’ve also had Lindsay’s old rocker cover wet blasted and polished and got the tags back on. Came up a treat. Will chuck this on at the same time of getting the SU’s on.

Attached Files:

Brian Handle likes this.
  19. spanners

spanners

Looking good. Half a second just in that slippery tappet cover.
    I've enquired about a spot for next year's Carralbyn but haven't heard back from them yet.

20. BS!

BS!

Hahahah let’s hope it’s good for half a second

I think they were giving last years rain out entrants the option to roll their entry over for 50 bucks and they had until November to do so before opening it up again. I’d just keep following them up occasionally. It would be good if you got up here for it and we won’t dare mention the W word.

21. spanners

spanners

I got word back from them finally. Entries open November but they didn't give me an actual date for the event.

22. BS!

BS!

Here is the flyer:
    631966B2-1DC3-4277-B0BB-084A125946C2.jpeg

Brian Handle and Crosley like this.
  23. BS!

BS!

Well almost 12 months since I had the car out. Mixed results. Figured out how to cut a good light in it and I seem to have tuned the flat spot/stumble out of it but it was down on mph and et and the incrementals didn’t show any improvement despite the car feeling better out of the hole. Last run it ended the run like a dog barely making it back to the pits. I’ve always had concerns with oil to the top end on this car. Healthy oil pressure but just doesn’t seem to get to the top end/rockers?? Will need to pull it apart and have a look at what’s going on. Afrs still super fat? If you look at the gauge second from the right it’s the wideband/afr gauge. 12.5:1 is abound the 12 o’clock mark. So it’s sitting at approx 10/11:1 at WOT in the deep end. Oil pressure is the gauge on the far right, sitting at around 28/30psi at idle and 38/40 the rest of the time… last run was against my favourite car of the night. Of all things it was a Subaru brumby (my first car) which ran a 7.8… weapon!!

Crosley likes this.
  24. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

For as short as the meet was for me.
    Had a good time, despite the dramas.
    Let me know if you need a hand.
    Carralbyn will come up quickly.

BS! likes this.
  25. BS!

BS!

Last weekend I took the car out to one of my favourite events. Carralbyn 1/8 mile drags.

There was a really good variety of cars out at the event and the weather was spot on.

Most importantly I seemed to have turned a bit of a corner on the car and it ran really well.

I pulled the plugs during the event and things were looking good. After the weekend I had completed 8 runs, plus the return runs and a fair bit of faffing around in the line up and the plugs looked like new still.

Keen to get it back to the track to see what it does over the quarter.

On a side note my sparring partner Brian blew his clutch (again) at the last test and tune we attended. He got the car back together for Carralbyn but driving it off the trailer to tech he noticed a bottom end knock. They thrashed Saturday night fixing what turned out to be a loose flywheel and had it back together for racing Sunday. We got a bit mucked around on the start line on our first race and in the chaos he forgot to turn his fuel pump on which caused a big backfire and a few more dramas. After that he decided to cut his losses and pack it up. I’ll go give him a hand next weekend to try get it sorted out.

We had hoped to come down to Sydney for day of the drags but this is probably unlikely now.

Anyway video footage below

Ended up with the following
    R1 - RB30T anglia (L)
    R2 - RB30T anglia (w)
    R3 - Supercharged V6 Willys hotrod (L)
    R4 - Ford Hambster (w)
    R5 - SBC roadster (w)
    R6 - BBF 520ci Galaxie (L)
    R7 - Flatty roadster (w)
    R8 - Flatty roadster (w)

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER and Crosley like this.
  26. spanners

spanners

Just watched your video. That's made me extremely envious and seriously pissed off with myself for not getting my shit together earlier and entered for Carralbyn. Your car sounds to be running good. I haven't heard back from anyone yet that might be going to Sydney.

Crosley likes this.
  27. BS!

BS!

Yeah it’s a good event and even better now you can camp at the airstrip. I have been speaking with Drewfus to see if he knows if any of the Sydney guys are running or not.

Crosley likes this.