Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another one, yea I know...'60 Studebaker Lark Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Drove it around tonight (and yesterday), the craigslist rear end sounds good, brakes feel strong. The '67 Mustang rear was cheap, I spent $200 total on it with new shoes, wheel cylinders, axle seals, axles bearings, gaskets and fluid. Sprayed it with engine paint and hoped for the best (everything looked clean and felt smooth on the center chunk). The only problems with the kit was the res valves leaked (had SSBC ones in the garage to replace them) and I had to make spacers so the cotter pin would engage the castle nut. Heater control valve mods and hoses tomorrow.
    spacer-1.jpg
    outside-1.jpg
    outside-2a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Apenaut, stealthcruiser and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Saturday night around 9pm, random parking lot in a so so area :D, just glad it wasn't on the freeway. I always carry tools and spare parts just in case. I haven't taken the old one apart yet, but I think the Arizona gas killed the rubber (it liquefied the fuel tank hose when I bought it). BTW chapstick works pretty good for a gasket sealer (girlfriends car remember).
    1-23-16 fuel pump-1.jpg
    1-23-16 fuel pump-2.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  3. aircap

aircap

It's awesome, man.

4. I cleaned out the back cylinder cooling jackets on the engine through the drain plugs (common problem I've learned) and bumped up to a 3 row. I think the heating up problems are behind me (was running 3/4 on the temp gauge on the freeway during the day). Also found a used grill surround and NOS fuel pump.......it's going to make the trip down to the Big 3 Swap meet in San Diego this Sat.

Rebuilt the P/S system with new hoses, replaced the freeze plugs, replaced the heater control valve with modern one since the old one is not available, adjusted the valves, full tune-up with wires (funny thing is that it uses the same NGK plugs as my flathead) and going to make a rubber mat for the rear area.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  5. Done enough.....added a 1/2" phenolic spacer under the carb to solve some fuel boiling issues. Made it down to San Diego and back perfectly plus all over Orange county. Last pics:
    outside-5.jpg
    heater valve-1.jpg
    engine-1.jpg

Apenaut, bobbytnm and NeonGodzilla like this.
  6. Took it to LARS, super hot traffic day and it didn't go above 3/4 on the temp gauge. Replaced the vacuum advance and no more flat spot. Driving it all over So Cal......

7. dang cool build....welcome to the happy Studebaker drivers family....

LeoH likes this.
  8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Done any hiway gas mileage checks recently, with the functioning vac advance ?

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The key has nothing to do with it, all it does is locate the hub on the axle. It is the wedging action of the taper that locks the shaft to the hub. For the taper to wedge properly the taper must be clean and not chewed up, no grease or other substance, and the nut has to be very tight. The manual will tell you how tight but many are over 200 ft lbs. Not being tightened enough is why they fail.

10. Not yet, just replaced it last weekend. But I can tell you it has a little more pep off the line and is getting better mpg around town.

11. I read about lapping the hub/housing to get a perfect fit, which I'm going to do on my '47. But for the girlfriends car I think the 8" was the right choice.

12. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice Stude wagon.Had a 57 Pelham.Lots of fun
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I obviously approve. Enjoy your new ride.

15. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Sorry to hear about your wheel issues, but the word for replacement wheels on those cars is 1980s Crown Victoria rims and ideally 205s. I've had my Lark for 4 years now and have had very few issues. You might want to get a backup/NOS headlight switch, they can go out on you, but they aren't expensive or a hassle to change. FYI, in theory, you should also have the extra stainless bling surround in your grille opening, the interior says you've got a Regal optioned Lark there. If you're not a Studebaker Drivers Club member, do consider it, as well as stick your nose in to your local SDC club for tips and possible someone's parts they might have for sale. The Studebaker National Museum can send you a reprint of the factory ticket for your car, that might be a fun piece of trivia. I found out my car originally had a passenger side only head rest. Nothing says Studes like more Studes. Love my Lark!

16. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

17. Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    LeoH likes this.
  18. Had some brake bias issues, but now almost all good (would like a little more rear pressure). Switched to a different front pad and put in larger bore rear wheel cylinders. Found an NOS front grill emblem (red inset) and have a NOS fuel pump for when the Carter goes south. I also bought a rubber mat to cover the rear area when hauling parts....smells like a forest fire though. I think the tire fitment problems stems from sagging springs, but they fit good and the wagon looks ok at that level. Here's a shot from the Model A pancake Breakfast earlier this year.
    20160410_113312.jpg

LeoH likes this.
  19. Looks great Dan.....

20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Good to see another one in the area.
    I have a 59, 2dr. wagon that is and has been my "daily driver" for over 12 years now.
    259, Auto trans., disc brakes in front, stock (Dana 44, posi) in the rear.

Will be going up for sale..."hopefully" sometime this year, to be replaced by the 54 wagon I've been working on.

Mike

LeoH likes this.
  21. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I have no idea how easy they are to find, but the wagons did have optional "helper" springs for the rear shocks. I don't know that they make much difference on my 60, but I wouldn't want it sitting lower than it is with them. You might search for a pair. Possibly Studebakers West might have them, if you can't scare up a set from someone closer to where you live.

22. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Have you gotten enough of strangers' Studebaker memory stories yet? Occupational hazard driving one of these around regularly. ;)

23. I've heard a few stories but mostly "is that a Volvo, Nash, VW ". It's a Euro car the first guess most of the time. I've taken it to the self serve car wash and the only thing that leaks is the rear gate (seals cracking). It's the most intact, original, good sealing car I've ever owned.......because it really hasn't been touched.

LeoH likes this.
  24. Another thing is I noticed is your from Reno NV....that's where the wagon was delivered to.
    production-2.jpg

LeoH likes this.
  25. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Wow! Electric Windows?! Funny isn't it? Mine was delivered to Sacramento and ended up here in Northern Nevada and yours was sent here and ended up in SoCal. I did get a Line Ticket, but I've cleaned up my papers too much to easily find where I stashed it or the few copies I was smart enough to make, at that time. Not smart enough to leave them accessible though....

26. I'm thinking the "Elec Winds" is the windshield washer system. The guy I got it from had some background on it, Reno to northern Cal to Arizona then to here.

dana barlow likes this.
  27. NICE find!!!!Bruce.

28. 29Sleeper

29Sleeper
    from SoCal

Here's a 59 2 door I picked up a couple years ago. It was a very early car and loaded. I suspect the dealer ordered it for his wife. I unfortunately let a friend talk me into selling it to a guy he knew as a wedding present for his bride - her last name was Studebaker. The 15x7 Americans fit just fine. You can get your original build sheet from the Studebaker museum. 00x0x_9xAnCFhMCCH_1200x900.jpg Lark build sheet.jpg

RAK and 1oldtimer like this.
  29. Cute as a bug’s ear. That’s a perfect chick car for your GF. Well done on getting it road worthy.