Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another one lost, PRC 2011 run CANCELED...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterSpeed, Jan 3, 2011.

1. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Well I just got a letter from the PRC and I thought it was my annual invitation, but it in fact was a letter announcing that it will not be happening this year. I was extremly shocked at the news, for this is one of the best events I have ever been to, and many others would fully agree. I know it is a lot of work for the club, and with the many members and helpers that made everything run great probably just got to be a hassle, plus they could not experience the entire fun of driving on the run like the rest of us. I bet this was a hard decision to make, and it will truely be missed by myself and my friends that were there too. I met a lot of great people on this run that have now become great friends, so hopefully it will be back again in the future and better than ever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn I was just thinking this morning how I need to make friends with someone that is running that run so I can tag along. Definitely on my to do list....maybe next year!

Loving that roadster Sinister speed, definitely deserves the invite again.

3. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Shoot, this was to the first year I was to participate!

I have an idea. Perhaps a rather then actually do the Run, simply make it just a car show or no frills get-together?

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Dang, I always look forward to the coverage... and daydream about participating... Bummer.

5. TERPU

TERPU

That's a bummer a real bummer. But times are what they are and if this is true albeit very dissapointing certainly understood. I can hope for the return next year. But with all the weather that has happened it's probably pretty tough to plan an event based on should be conditions.

All my best to the PR guys, you are the best

Tim

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That's too bad. Looked like a hell of an event last year. Better to go out with a bang I guess.

7. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

i attended the last one as a spectator..i was lookin forward to it..maybe next year..

8. McFly

McFly

Just got my notice too. I'm super bummed...my favorite event of the year! : (

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow. Shocked and bummed. I can totally understand though.

Sent from my iPhone using the Jalopy Journal App!
    (coming soon to hoodlums world wide)

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

11. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

I have participated twice. The feeling of running down Sierra Madre Blvd with 80 plus vintage roadsters is beyond describing. I brought a long time hot rodder and dear friend from back east, he was almost in shock it was so much fun.

Geoffrey

12. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Its the Pasadena Roadster Club, been around since the early 40's. This was one of the primere events that I was really looking forward to. I'm glad I saved a ton of pics from the last run and from the years past, they were full of great memories. I know Dennis Lacy and crew worked their asses off last year, and it was cool to see that it was a true labor of love for them. Maybe some other club could come through and possibly host the event just to keep the tradition alive until the PRC figures/works things out??? That would be awesome. I wish I lived closer to try and organize something with my buddies who lived down there, but they too have moved away from the area. Hopefully something similar will come about, it was a killer gathering of era correctness.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Elaborate Ryan. Why can you understand? I wanted to do one in the hills over in NC. Is there a hidden cost or something?

What's the reason for them canceling? I blame you Ryan, you son of a bitch!!! You finally go to last year's and that's it....it's over. You're cursed and blessed all at the same time.:D:D

Pasadena Roadster Club

14. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

A real shame. An historic event that was revitalized by some real enthusiasts. They managed it in a way that was true to the original concept.

I've never been...don't own a running roadster, but I've followed the event from it's re-inception.

I'll miss it.

15. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Tragic, I was hoping the letter was to announce this years run . Too bad guys but a HUGE THANKS FOR THE PERFECT DAYS YOU GAVE US,those who were lucky enough to participate.

16. Ah poo! Sorry to hear about this, I always enjoy the coverage.

17. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I participated a few times as a navigator. What a hoot. Wayno

18. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

That's disappointing! Great footage always shows up on Youtube.

19. 296ardun

296ardun

Damn, I am old enough to remember the first ones in the late 40's, was really glad to see it return...sorry to see it go.

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Bugger bitch bum!!!

I really enjoyed the coverage!

And right when we are trying to organize our own tribute-type run out here.

Hopefully it will rise frommtje ashes of what was at a later time.

21. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

sucks it's no more,was truley an awesome throw back to times of past,

22. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

,,and just because the PRC has been shut down...what does that have to do with stopping trying to put a similar run together in NC or AUS????

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bummer, have looked forward to coverage of this event ever since they restartred it. I've got hot rod mags from back in the day with coverage of the origional events and it always looked like super time getting traditional hot rods together and driving them. Hope it can be revived in the future.

Frank

24. Weasel

Weasel

OP says he has received a notice saying this year's run has been cancelled and there's a bunch of drama posts sounding as though you are giving it a decent burial. As I read it, there is nothing to say it won't be on again in future years, so what's up guys?

As some of you may know, we had huge rainfalls in So Cal shortly before Christmas and there is a State of Emergency declaration in several counties. Federal assistance has been requested and I am meeting with FEMA reps this morning to see how to recover my property which was pretty wiped out in the rains and is now a creek. There have been a ton of mudslides, debris flows and rock slides and many of the hills are very unstable. So the cancellation comes as no surprise to me.

25. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Was it cancelled due to weather, bad roads, government hassels, or what? thanks

26. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

From the letter it sounded like it had nothing to do with previous or future weather or anything like that. It sounded as though they were struggling with the "friendship" part of it in the club, and wanted to rekindle that back as was stated in the letter. I know nothing as far as what is going on with the club, as I'm not a PRC member, so these are only my thoughts when I read the letter. However, I do know from a close friend of mine that there was some drama starting to occure within the club, but just like anything else, that happens with many clubs. A great event like this takes months of preparation, and maybe they just need a years break from everything so they can focus on what really matters-having fun with hot rods! Too bad a host club doesn't step in and take the reigns so that all the PRC members could enjoy the run. I guarentee that they would have just as much fun then ever before. Dennis Lacy I know your out there, can you shed any more light on this????

27. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I received a email reply to my query as to the cancellation of this years run from a former president of the club, and current board member. I also asked if they might have a simple car show instead:

"Hi AJ;

I would have liked to see The Run again this year but it is a lot of work and we are a very small Club. We start the work on the run the first part of September and it continues thru to the end of May when we get everything wrapped up. The members were getting tired and needed a rest so it was the decission of the Officers to take the year off and get rested up for next years Run.

I am not an officer this year but I know the current Board has been discussing an alternate activity however, to my knowledge, at this time, there are no firm plans. I am sure if The Club was to put something together, the word will get out."

He pretty much saying the same thing SinisterSpeed has already told us. To me, this is just sounding like they a one-year break. Although to some, even one year is too long a wait!

28. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Is that you, Rory?

While it is true that the PRC has decided to not have a Reliability Run in 2011, I must say I am a bit surprised at the implied "doomsday" nature of some of the responses. I want to make it clear that we have not decided to cancel any and all future RR's, we are simply taking some down-time this year as the letter states that was sent to our participants. I also want to make it clear that the friendships amongst our members are higher now than they have probably ever been and I am not aware of any drama between anyone.

The Pasadena Roadster Club is a small group and putting on the Reliability Run is a major undertaking and if it were not for the dedication of the PRC members and the help of our friends and families on the day of, we would never be able to pull it off. Naturally, with every next Run we go over every detail looking for any way we can improve the event. Everything from the driving route - to the paperwork - to the location of the port-o-potties is considered and beat to death. Anything that can make a better experience for our participants. Of course, the more time we dedicate to our event the less time and energy we have for other club activities and in the case of several members who carry a large load of the work, our personal lives.

After six incredibly successful events we decided (and it was a very difficult decision) that we deserved a chance to take a breath, put the work down for a while and have some good 'ol traditional hot rod roadster fun for the next year and I, for one, am looking forward to it!

Thank you to all of our participants and followers for your unbelievable support and enthusiasm. YOU are what has made the PRC Reliability Runs the incredible success that they have become!

Dennis Lacy
    President - Pasadena Roadster Club

:)

29. Thanks Dennis, I have never been, but it is for sure on my list of stuff to do in the (near) future. Glad to hear it's not dead, and nothing wrong with taking a break. The great guys that put on the famous Hot Rod A Rama up here in the Norwest took a one year break, not having the event in 2009. That made 2010 all that much better!

Thanks again, you give guys like me something to dream about :D

30. redbeard

redbeard

I am sorry to hear about this news. One of the PRC members was encouraging me to go on this years run.

I have almost single handedly been putting on the Northern California Reliability Run for the last five years so I know how much work it takes to put these runs on.

And I understand you guys wanting to take a break.

The Nor Cal Rel Run run is up to 1940 and not just roadsters, but it is mostly very traditional cars.

I am in no way trying to replace the PRC run.

But there have been plans for a roadster only run up here in Nor Cal, that would be for traditional cars with motors up to '53 or so.

It is going to be put on by the Northern California Roadster Club.

So if anyone wants to still go on a great Reliability Run, there will be at least two to choose from.

I have also heard the Draglinks out of Roseville talking about a flathead only run, they planned it for last year but they postponed it. Maybe we will have three to choose from.

Like I said, I hope to someday make it down to the PRC when they start up again.

Until then, hope to see you out on the road.

Thank you Dennis Lacey for explaining what was happening. And you guys are more than welcome to come for one of the Nor Cal runs while you take time off.

There is plenty of info about the previous Nor Cal Rel Runs on the hamb.

Cheers,