Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another new one from oregon

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by mr50s, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mr50s

mr50s

Hey everyone!

Just checking in on the day after join-up day. I've heard of H.A.M.B. for years but never assumed I could learn much or contribute much. But with me looking at 70 years of age a few hundred freeway offramps ahead, it's time to test that notion and finally wade in here, full of ignorance and hope.

Down in our barn outside Portland, Oregon are a 1955 Chevy 2-door post with a 350 small block and Muncie 4-speed, a 1950 Olds Rocket 88 Deluxe Club Coupe with a working 303 and hydro, and a 1950 Ford Custom Deluxe Club Coupe with a mild 302 and AOD trans. All three are resto-rods, and the Chevy is currently for sale so the proceeds can be poured into the Olds and Ford projects.

I've been lucky enough to locate the H.A.M.B. "RocketDaemon" thread on early Olds cars already ("The Oldsmobile Rocket 303 324 371 394 Post to End All Other Posts" dated 12/19/2006). This should be very helpful for me as well as others working on early Rockets. I'm currently trying to figure out a starter setup about 1-1/2 to 2-inches shorter than stock, so I can install a set of custom-made mandrel-bent and coated headers I recently found. I also have to fab a new engine-to-transmission mount so the big exhaust collectors will clear. And I need to find a floor-mounted shifter setup to work the Hydro trans, since I will be putting after-market steering into the car, hopefully a rear-steer rack and pinion cradle kit. Have any of you already fabbed some or all of this stuff in a 1950 Olds? I could use your tech tips a bunch!

The Ford is farther along as a resto-rod. We're about to blast the body clean, which has only minor rust-outs. Floors and rockers are already repaired or replaced, and there's a custom front frame nicely fabbed in with Mustang II front suspension and brakes. We've roughed in the Flaming River steering, suspended brake and throttle setup, and are looking forward to painting and reassembling everything as soon as the 1955 Chevy sells. Should make a fun boulevard cruiser and freeway flyer.

That's about all for now. If this reads like a gearhead's letter from home, well, that's what it is. Pound out your replies when you can. Looking forward to the give and take of this website thing.

mr50s

2. welcome to the HAMB!
    fellow Oregonian here (Beavercreek, near Oregon City)

post up some photos of your rides on the main board
    you can also post your 55 in the classifed section for free

3. tomthacher

tomthacher

welcome to the HAMB fellow Orgonian from the great city of Rogue River. I have a 324/w hydro in my 50 Jeepster and it has a floor shift that looks store bought. A fellow HAMB er has been helping me with the tv linkage and shifting linkage and it is almost a finished now. It is a neat ride not like the typical 350-350 kind of stuff you see in many of the rods. Anyway, welcome!!