Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another new 12 year old at heart

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Pensive Scribe, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Hello there! I’ve been into this car thing since I was twelve years old. It started with wrenching on and modifying bicycles. On my way to the bike shop I passed a local Shell station where a mechanic or pump jockey drove a 1935 Ford three window coupe to work, on fair weather days. On several occasions I’d see it sitting there or driving around town. That car left a life long lasting impression on me, sparking a desire to one day possess one of my own. I’m 48 now and I’ve had mine a year and a summer.

From bicycles I went into VW’s. They were the car of choice for my Generation. They were simple to work on and affordable to one who survived on cutting lawns and doing odd jobs. VW’s were a part of my family since before my first ride in one, which was the journey home from the hospital when I was born. At one time my brother, my dad and I all had one. I worked my collection up to five of the puppies, three ovals and a couple of sixty some things. V-dubs are still a part of my automotive interests. I’ve managed to hang on to three.

I received a subscription to Street Rodder magazine on my fourteenth birthday. It was through this magazine I learned of the Cal Look VW. I was hooked. I’ve kept my subscription active even though VW Trends and Hot VW’s magazine subscriptions have come and gone. Through out those VW years, the passion for vintage domestic tin smouldered deep inside. Availability and value was always the hurdle preventing ownership. So I thought.

In 1989 I moved to Alberta. Vintage domestic tin seemed to be more readily available here than back home in B.C. and VW’s were not as popular or common. I sold all my collectable VW goodies to a young man starting his VW shop and started dragging every forlorn abandoned piece of domestic vintage tin home.

Over the years I’ve realized that some cars are lost causes to begin with and should be left for others with the appropriate passion for the case. I ended up with a variety of projects ranging from T’s, A’s, fifties and sixties cars. Even a couple Japanese sports cars worked their way in there. I’ve been dispersing the collection for the last year or two investing in my dream garage to house the dream car.

My 35 came to me by way of a fellow Flathead Club member. It sat in his collection of vintage Ford convertibles and coupes since 1970, and cost him less than a thousand dollars. I learned of the car in 1993 or so, and while getting to know its owner, I asked if he’d give me first right of refusal for the car on several occasions. The answer was always, “you’re not the only one” or “I doubt you could afford it”.

Finally I heard through the grape vine that it was on the market. The price seemed up there and I never got a chance to ask the owner what was truth or fiction for an entire year. I caught up to him at a swap meet a couple years ago and learned the actual price was more along what I thought was fair. I went to see it within a few days with cash in hand and the rest is history, the beginning of a long and happy life together, hopefully for many cruises to come. Even as I was loading the car on my trailer a call came in, to inform the former owner that money was on the way for the car from another party. I heard the words every car guy dreads to hear, “sorry but I sold it, and the new owner is loading it as we speak”. I’ve been on the receiving end of that phrase and had to say it a time or two, but I can’t help grinning every time I remember the moment.

For most of its time in the previous owner’s possession, it sat for almost forty years in the corner of his garage, getting the occasional visit when he came in to throw a spare part or two, found at a swap meet or on a parts hunt, into it for safe keeping. All those collectable parts came with the car, not to mention the odd piece I’ve been lucky enough to find since it has been in my stewardship. Plans are for a later Flathead dressed for the ball. I want to drive it as a survivor because it will only be this way once. When I stop to do the math this car was in waiting for two or more years before I even saw my first one. Anyone out there believe the connection to their car is an act of fate?

It is my opinion that magazines often fail their readers by excluding how the owner or builder found the project they feature. The stories are often as unique and interesting as the car itself. I enjoy these stories and would like to put together a book someday. I’d like to hear others.

That’s it in a nutshell. Many another story or two has been lived through those years some I may tell and some are just for a knowing smile, but all for another time.

Thanks for dropping by for a read.

Attached Files:

2. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

WOW...best intro I'v seen in awhile:)

Welcome from Des Moines,Iowa!

3. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Cool 35, and a good story. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

4. Welcome to the Hamb,excellent introduction. HRP

5. Badass

Badass

Aw yeah, that is how it is done. Good job my friend. Welcome from Austin!

6. big bad john

big bad john

Super intro.........Welcome to H.A.M.B. from Wisconsin.....enjoy the ride....Big Bad John

7. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Welcome from Texas.

8. If all that was in a nutshell, it must have been one hell of a nut :D Welcome from Arkansas...

9. Welcome from Ontario, cool coupe!

10. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Now, that was a intro!!!!! Welcome from Michigan.

11. boldventure

boldventure

It is my opinion that magazines often fail their readers by excluding how the owner or builder found the project they feature. The stories are often as unique and interesting as the car itself. I enjoy these stories and would like to put together a book someday. I’d like to hear others.

That’s it in a nutshell. Many another story or two has been lived through those years some I may tell and some are just for a knowing smile, but all for another time.

Thanks for dropping by for a read.[/QUOTE]

Very nice introduction ;)

In the last few years I've met many specialty car owners. Some of the acquisiton stories are quite charming and all of them are unique. As far as preserving the stories; I've had a similar thoughts.

Are you aware of print on demad pulishers such as Lulu.com or Blurb.com?

12. 117harv

117harv

LOL...........The first half of your intro sounded like i wrote it, it's a mirror image to my feeling and actions. I was hard into VW's and was pictured in Hot VW's three times, once in the vintage issue, i was at many west coast shows for years. I would go to all car swap meets and the vintage american parts were 10 cents on the dollar compared to VW, including the NOS parts. In the last ten ears i have scrounged and drug home every and all vintage tin and hard parts i can find, all my friends think i'm insane, well i think i might be.

Welcome to the HAMB.

13. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Welcome from Dawson Creek, BC.
    Awesome intro and the car is pretty good too.

14. Thank you all for the kind words. I have a related question. Now that I'm here, how do I tear myself away to get any work done?

15. I haven't found the answer to that one, either! :eek: