Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Munsters drag car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Apr 17, 2010.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, so we all know about the Munstr Coach and Grandpas Coffin Rail but I came across this picture today. Obviously a Munsters show but I have never seen this car before.
    Has anyone got some info on it?
    Who's is it? (Class?)
    What is it? Etc........
    [​IMG]

Thanks all,
    Doc.

2. mac762

mac762

What am I missing here? It is pretty early, but why do you think that's a Munsters car?

3. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I know nothing about the car but it is cool

4. James427

James427
    BANNED

Is that the car that grandpa raced??

5. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I would guess it was probly a car (prop)(extra) for the episode when they went racing?

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, I mean its from the Munsters show and I guess it was the competition. The Munsters is the only place I know of a 'Mockingbird Heights', They lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane.
    Grandpas car was a rail with a coffin for a body.

7. mac762

mac762

Does anyone have a picture of the car Grandpa did race? I had a model of the Dragula I found in an old house when I was a kid. I also found a kick ass blacklight poster of the Red Baron in the same house. I sure would like to have another one of each.

PS That was my favorite episode of the Munsters. Back before VHS and DVR and all that, a kid had to sit and wait for the show to start to know if it was the episode with the drag stuff in it. :) I did that a lot, as soon as I knew it wasn't the "cool" episode I'd go back out and ride my bike.

8. beatnik

beatnik

1313 Mockingbird Lane in Mockingbird Heights

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but it had to be Someones car out in the real world?;)

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1965...The Munsters..."Hot Rod Herman"

Mockingbird Drag Strip is Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach...

The title alone will lead to believe this episode is going to have some very funny sight gags, and it does has Herman turns into a drag racer with some very cool "wheels."

The first good sight was Herman dressed like Marlon Brando in "The Wild One." He's a dead- ringer for Brando, except for the face, of course. When a concerned Lily approaches him with "Herman, I wish you wouldn't do this," his answer is:

"I just can't, uh, fight it chick," he answers. "I, uh, gotta get out there and drag it with the gassers. Otherwise, I might blow my cool." He says this with a strong nasal tone and New York accent.

Later, a very cool dragster is built by Grandpa, complete with coffin and organ pipes. He calls it his "Drag-u-la."

Herman and his new dragster then do battle with Sandy Baylor's father, "Leadfoot" Baylor, a professional drag racer. "Sandy" was an obnoxious friend of Eddie's and was only in this one episode. Brian Corcoran, who played him, had some famous siblings as actors, such as Donna Corcoran, Kevin and Kelly Corcoran.

Henry Beckman, who played Sandy's dad, and was in one other Munster episode, was still acting as of 2002.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is Grandpas car, the Dragula built by Barris.

[​IMG]

Together here with the Munsters Coach.

[​IMG]

Doc.

12. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

what are you doing up this early on a saturday?

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

all geezers get up early :rolleyes::D

14. The Munsters weren't in the real world? So much for the years spent looking for my soul mate Marilyn well, come to think of it my Mother-in-law sorta resembles Lilly a little!!

15. Labold

Labold

My mother in law resembles Herman, without the sense of humor. :D

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

17. ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. As always you have got the 411. :D '60s TV was the best, you just can't beat it for corn. I love it! Cool cars too.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  19. I'd like to see a full picture of the car, and Frank Gorshin. :p

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I believe it was Henry Beckman who played "Leadfoot" Baylor

<table class="cast"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td class="hs">[​IMG]</td><td class="nm">Fred Gwynne</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Herman Munster</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td class="hs">[​IMG]
    </td><td class="nm">Yvonne De Carlo</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Lily Munster</td></tr> <tr class="odd"><td class="hs">[​IMG]</td><td class="nm">Al Lewis</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Grandpa</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td class="hs">[​IMG]</td><td class="nm">Pat Priest</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Marilyn Munster</td></tr> <tr class="odd"><td class="hs">[​IMG]
    </td><td class="nm">Butch Patrick</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Eddie Munster</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td class="hs">[​IMG]</td><td class="nm">Brian Corcoran</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Sandy Baylor</td></tr> <tr class="odd"><td class="hs">[​IMG]</td><td class="nm">Eddy Donno</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Mechanic</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td class="hs">[​IMG]</td><td class="nm">Henry Beckman</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">'Leadfoot' Baylor</td></tr></tbody></table>

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What was the hemi powered car behind them at the end of the video? Lippy

22. I was told that ,that is Tommy Ivo in Grandpa make-up driving the Drag-u-la in this shot. If you look close,it does look like him...
    [​IMG]

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the dragster body in the lead photo looks familiar,
    with the '60 Valiant (style) tailight treatment,
    was that an off the shelf body or a one off?

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

and the pusher looks like stunt double too

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is great guys lets keep it up, someone will know the car.
    Mazooma, as always awesome info so far.

Thank you guys.

Doc.

26. Chicago WOW, 2008:

[​IMG]

27. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

If I remember right, the Sachs & Sons Comet and the S-W-C Willys were also shown making runs in that episode. Don't remmebr seeing Frnk "Ridler" Gorshin in there, tho...

28. I would tend to agree! ;)

29. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I remember when I saw that episode as a kid. I thought that was the coolest rail ever !