Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another lost vin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by headwrench, Jan 4, 2018.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same out here in California. The process is not hard to get a bonded title, nor is it expensive ($100, for a vehicle up to $6000, one time, for the full 3-years).

All of this is dependent on the vehicle being out-of-the-system. That is what you need to be sure of, FIRST!

2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Gimpy since you are here...
    How long does it take for a car to be out of the system(Ca)? And if ownership didn't change, what are the registration costs usually?
    Pardon the hijack.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Until recently, and inactive record would leave the system after 5-years. They simply did not have enough storage for 32,000,000+ records. Since storage is rapidly approaching free, there may not be an "out-of-the-system" anymore, soon.

From zero, to back in-the-system, not including a bond for the title, if you need one, is just under $300, once. After that, registration renewal is the only recurring charge, and that is based on the vehicle value, plus $58.00.

Title bonds, for vehicles with no paperwork, and not in the system are $100 for vehicles up to $6K. Above that, there is a formula.

CA has a fixed and a variable part of the annual license fee. The variable part is 0.65% the purchase price for the 1st year. After that, the variable part decreases yearly:
    Year 1 - 100% (i.e. 0.65% of purchase price)
    Year 2 - 92%
    Year 3 - 83%
    Year 4 - 75%
    Year 5 - 66%
    Year 6 - 58%
    Year 7 - 49%
    Year 8 - 41%
    Year 9 - 32%
    Year 10 - 24%
    Year 11 - 15%

So first year, on a car you bought for $5000 would be $90.50, plus any local fees, and whatever the state tacked on, after January 1. I have been afraid to look.

4. 5window

5window

States vary with their rules, and probably who in power at the DMV is interpreting them. It is their game, so do what they say. Sometimes, having your local state rep be mediate for you when turning in paperwork can help its acceptance. When I bought my A, it had a clear PA title that had originated in Ohio. When I went to register it in my name, the PA DMV vacated that title, then sent me a new title and a new VIN tag for the firewall. This was not a specially constructed or reconstructed vehicle, just titling it as a street rod. Whatever. Strange as they are, I have a clear title with a matching VIN. Best of luck.

5. headwrench

headwrench

Th

6. headwrench

headwrench

Thanks guys. I did find the serial number. Im going monday to check numbers in the ohio system. Thanks for the help

5window likes this.
  7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Great. Hope everything works in your favor!