Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Another look at the Nash Metropolitan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Feb 5, 2013.

1. 32Rules

32Rules

Thats ok grandma sue can pick it up for me ha ha

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Following up on an earlier point: A RHD version was launched in the spring of 1957, so these cars will be of the second series (no hood scoop, different grille). These UK market cars carried Austin VIN plates and were sold at Austin/BMC dealers, but carried no external Austin badges. The marketing label was simply "Metropolitan 1500."

Also, check out the guy's racing helmet above. Cracks me up.

3. jreeder41

jreeder41

If anybody is interested we are having an open house this Saturday from 4-8. Stop by if you can!!

4. Would love to see if there is a way to cover your event if that's appropriate. Please feel free to email or pm me if you might be interested.

5. sgtlethargic

sgtlethargic

6. 63comet

63comet

My girlfriend recently discovered the Metropolitan. I wish I had enough money to track her down one. Or could find someone willing to trade one for tattoos.

7. jreeder41

jreeder41

I just wish I had a twelve car hauler. I'd make a little trip out west. It would be cool if the turbine was still around.

8. How many Mets fit on a 12-car hauler, do you reckon?

9. More than twelve!!! LOL!

10. Still dying to know the secret of "Magnetic Turbine"

11. 63comet

63comet

Anyone else worked on one of these critters? At Neil's we'd work on them occasionally since it is a BMC engine. If you're used to Brit cars it feels really odd since its a combination of British and American construction.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I saw a little Metropolitan years ago in Hot Rod magazine.

It was widened 4" or so and possibly lengthened a wee bit.

The wheelwells were radiused round front and rear and flared a little bit as well.

It was black and powered by a BBC engine.

It looked nasty, and like a lot of fun too.

13. That's exactly how they seemed to me as well. British drivetrain and running gear in an American unibody.

14. I have a 57 Met,as I posted earlier,that was started as a Pro Street....Lost interest in that direction since and it has sat for several years.
    I am now pondering if it would be fun as an economy car build instead of the previous ideas.....
    I have two ideas to ponder.
    1.Electric car-BTW I have no experience that direction]
    2. Cycle Car
    I have a large displacement [2000CC]cycle V Twin so that is looking more realistic at this point.
    I just hate the little car setting in the cobwebs when it could be driven......
    iT IS VERY LIGHT SO THE CYCLE POWER SEEMS MOST SENSIBLE....120 horsepower 6 gears/belt or chain drive as options

15. Personally, I love the motorcycle engine idea.

16. Been thinking[dangerous].....
    Engine in front in same orientation as on a bike, heavy cog belt from trans to a 90 degree box[1:1 ratio],then a standard driveshaft setup to the 9" rear end in the car now.....
    engine is water and air cooled from manufacturer as is......

No ideas for reverse yet.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  17. WOW! That thing is BAD ASS!! :cool:
    Always wanted one of those.

18. Hey Metro59....,that thing is sweet......

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  19. It says, "Powered by Magnetic Turbine".

20. There was a guy that used to drive one around our town in the 70's. I remember thinking that he looked like a total weenie in that thing and that I would never be caught dead in one. Now, they're a little bit cool just because of the unique ugliness. The cool factor jumps way up with a V8 installed.

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This one's really huge, it's bigger than my Cadillac
    [​IMG]

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Holy forced perspective Batman!

23. jreeder41

jreeder41

Two holes in the floor?

24. Jreeder41,Most of these have the holes you mention lots of em....they are a little prone to rust ......

25. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

I bought one from a fellow HAMBer a few months back. That I have been hacking away on. I'm building it for my wife. The cool thing is that she actually has some really cool ideas for the car. (Metal flake paint job, tuck n roll interior, etc) ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370481703.151488.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

Here is my fiance's 59. We were enjoying it and fixing it back up in its stock form. But quickly got tired of only being able to go 55, not being able to stop quickly, and having to get out, pop the hood and jiggle the shift linkage to get it out of 2nd. So we have been putting money aside to go another route. custom frame, mustang II, 4 link, small block, automatic and so on. now i just need to find someone to build it. i have talked with art morrison, but i would like to find someone a bit closer.

Attached Files:

27. jreeder41

jreeder41

I would love to help you build this, but I think I might be a little farther away lol

28. jreeder41

jreeder41

Haha....I think 60% of our business it putting in new floors lol

29. Thanks. That made my laugh for the day.