Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Another look at the Nash Metropolitan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Feb 5, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Had one on my shopping list for awhile. It takes a guy very secure in his manliness to drive one of the pink and white ones. He's also a fellow who knows his odds of scoring are better than in a studmobile.

Which reminds me of this. Wait for the Vette. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvlQYi5LoYM&feature=youtu.be

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So we wind up in Branson MO at a Paul Revere and the Raiders concert. The curtains open and there are the headlights on and appears the grill and shortened hood of a Nash Metropolitan...behind the windshield is a keyboard with Paul Revere playing away. He wheeled that thing all over the stage. He even had a power antenna on it that he would run up with the American flag on it making it blow in the breeze of his hairdryer.
    I knew at that moment I had to have one. It is on my list.

LJ

3. Mets are cool little rides! I've owned four of them, of which only one was a runner. Seems like anyone with a Met also has a parts car. With over 100K of them built between 1954 and 1960, it's no surprise so many still exist.

Trivia points about the Metropolitan:

1) The 1961 and 1962 cars were simply 1960 models that remained unsold, as the last car off the line was built in August 1960.
    2) The trunk lid came out in the 1959 MY. It was built because (supposedly) an AMC exec got stopped at the US/CDN border and the border guard wanted to see what was in the trunk. The exec had to empty the back seat out in order to get into the trunk hole. That pissed him off, so that trunk lid cam about fairly quickly afterwards!
    3) The first Mets were sold as Hudson and Nash Mets, from 1954 - 1957. Once the Nash and Hudson nameplates went away in the 1958 MY, the Metropolitan was simply "Metropolitan" and sold as a stand-alone marque at AMC-Rambler dealerships. The 1958 - 1962 Metropolitans are erroneously called "Nash" Metropolitans, but are simply "Metropolitan".
    4) The three-piece rear windshield became a one-piece in 1959.
    5) Metropolitans were designed for and sold only in the US and CDN; however, a handful of RHD models were built for the British and South African markets.

A really cool link for Metropolitan info is: www.hoosiermets.com

4. farna

farna

That last statement isn't true. Austin assembled the Mets for AMC, but also had rights to sell in Britain and the British Commonwealth (and other overseas markets where AMC had no presence). There were quite a few Austin Metropolitans sold. Not as many AMC models, only about 9,400 from 57-61.

5. Initially, the Metropolitan production was solely for the US and CDN. My statement is true.

6. jreeder41

jreeder41

Jreeder I just ordered a suspension rebuild kit from you guys yesterday. I like that you guys put kits together so I don't have to figure out what all I need to rebuild something completely![/QUOTE]

Since we first started selling parts we tried very hard to include everything you need to finish a job. It used to drive me insane trying to put a car together with other vendors parts.They never included hardware or they wouldn't tell you what else you might need. Big difference between someone who just sells parts and someone who actually use them.

We work on or restore probably 10-20 Metro's each year. It never ceases to amaze me how many have survived.

[​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  7. farna

farna

patrick66 -- well, the statement is true if you look at it that way. The Met was designed in the US and originally intended for the US/Canadian markets. When AMC made the contract with Austin they wanted to sell a RHD model and got permission from the start of production though. I suppose 9,400 over four model years is a "handful", considering AMC sold more than that most years in one model year.

Thanks for posting the info on the Met, I was just trying to clarify, didn't intend to insult you.

8. 73super

73super

I think if I'm going that route I'd rather go with the larger 50 Nash. But the Metros and Nash's in general seem to be gaining momentum in the ol' popularity circles.. not that it matters. My best friend in HS had one we went on his paper route in. Very cool. Good luck.

9. jreeder41

jreeder41

10. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Sold my 59 but here it is as well as my 60 wagon I plan to finish someday:

My bad..I was thinking Ramblers when I posted on this thread..sorry guys. i would love to have a metropolitan..seems the price on them just keeps creeping up though..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  11. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

bill flajole's original design model the nxi was market researched by george mason then
    developed as a nash kelvinator international between 1950-52 and released as the nki custom which changed to metropolitan, also sold as a hudson and by austin who had built them.
    - and those later badges were made to fit into the same holes, iirc

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

13. Ya gotta love the "Buy it or I'll crush it" sales bitch.

14. elba

elba

My first car was a Metro bought for #100 bucks. Racedit at Thompson raceway. 21 sec quarter mile time. Got beat by an Opel.
    Be sure to use the right kind of brake fluid. DOT 3 will not work.

15. G'day, The black V8 met that was in Street Rodder was known as "Megamet" and was originally out of Minnesota. We met the owner at the Toppers car show in Fargo on year and as we had a Metro too my wife and him became buds. Then one Sunday morning he showed up at Sabin MN with Megamet and pitted with us at the drag strip. He finally got the hook from tech as he was way way too fast for what he was legal for. Great guy and a really fun car.

I guess I need to get going on our 61 Met. I drove it into the shop 20 years ago and haven't worked on it since.

best,
    mitch

16. Metro59

Metro59
    from Joplin, MO

You probably lit the timer at about 60-65 MPH? Blazing!

17. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

P4021027.jpg

P4021026.jpg

Metropolitans are rare down here in Australia,mine is a US import ,LHD,i would like to convert to RHD but the dashboard would be a hard job,,brakes are rebuilt and it runs and drives ,,just need an ashtray ,,,

18. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

Since we first started selling parts we tried very hard to include everything you need to finish a job. It used to drive me insane trying to put a car together with other vendors parts.They never included hardware or they wouldn't tell you what else you might need. Big difference between someone who just sells parts and someone who actually use them.

We work on or restore probably 10-20 Metro's each year. It never ceases to amaze me how many have survived.

I WILL GIVE YOU GUYS A TRY FOR THE REMAINING PARTS I NEED. BOUGHT A COUPLE OF THINGS FROM THE CROOKS - KIP MOTOR COMPANY. NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN. They back ordered one of the parts and then charged me the full overpriced shipping charges to ship that one very small part that could have been mailed in an envelope.

19. jreeder41

jreeder41

Please do I believe you will be much happier.:)

20. jreeder41

jreeder41

Your best bet would be to find a dash out of England. Not the easiest part to find. Also the shift rods, steering box and idler are different too. Everything is basically a mirror image of the LHD. I have ashtrays if you need one.

21. jreeder41

jreeder41

Let me know what you find out. I'm always looking for good bodies.

22. 32Rules

32Rules

Thats ok grandma sue can pick it up for me ha ha

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Following up on an earlier point: A RHD version was launched in the spring of 1957, so these cars will be of the second series (no hood scoop, different grille). These UK market cars carried Austin VIN plates and were sold at Austin/BMC dealers, but carried no external Austin badges. The marketing label was simply "Metropolitan 1500."

Also, check out the guy's racing helmet above. Cracks me up.

24. jreeder41

jreeder41

If anybody is interested we are having an open house this Saturday from 4-8. Stop by if you can!!

25. Would love to see if there is a way to cover your event if that's appropriate. Please feel free to email or pm me if you might be interested.

26. 63comet

63comet

My girlfriend recently discovered the Metropolitan. I wish I had enough money to track her down one. Or could find someone willing to trade one for tattoos.

27. jreeder41

jreeder41

I just wish I had a twelve car hauler. I'd make a little trip out west. It would be cool if the turbine was still around.