Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another little Willy(s)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by distributorguy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

I have a friend who keeps picking on me for buying crap off Craigslist cheap. Here's the progress a few weeks after grabbing 2 Willys trucks for $800, a 2WD Willys frame for front suspension parts delivered for $100, and a complete flathead Ford setup for $300. The T5 tranny was also off Craigslist for $200 with an engine I quickly sold off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tonight I narrowed the factory grille, and sectioned and narrowed the hood.
    Note the front wheels pushed 10" forward toward the grille. I have a set of Wilwood calipers and discs for the front, Triumph TR6 rack and pinion, and a bunch of misc parts piled in corners that'll get "bolted on" in attempt to make this thing fun. If it wasn't for a good friend Guy Henson (Damn Good Motors) building the flathead, it wouldn't be half the truck.

It'll sport a full length box for utility, but ride low enough to handle well. Lotsa goodies and tricks yet to pull off to get the look I want, but so far the focus has been on driveline. Ideas anyone???

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

pretty cool.but the pics are way too big..

3. metal man

metal man

^^^^^ this. We have to scroll all over the place to read and look at the pics. Always liked those Willys trucks.

4. 4444Design

4444Design

looks cool already

are the knobbies the final setup or will ya swap to on road tyres?

5. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

Sorry this was my first post here. Didn't know about the photo size thing. WIll change it as I post in the future.

I fell in love with the new Dick Cepeks - they will stay since the skulls on the sidewall wrap in the the cross-bone tread. I plan to grind the sidewalls down to the wide whitewall, which in this case is a 3-ply off-road sidewall. The front wheels will match the rears but haven't chosen tires for them yet. The only size I can find to fit (30-31" tall) comes either too wide or bias ply.

6. lawman

lawman

Nice start !!!

7. shop teacher

shop teacher

Nice start- show some pictures of your hood / grill. I have a 51 Willys wagon that I need to post someday. Do you have a gauge to fit the 3 3/4 inch hole in the center of the dash?- already have a tach. Bill

8. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

My truck has a big rectangular hole in the dash - the old style. I plan to use original gauges if possible, but that's of little concern at the moment. Many larger hurdles to jump like laying out the chop top and installing the steering rack today...

The front end: narrowed the grille and hood Friday evening.
    [​IMG]

The box sitting in place, but not properly:
    [​IMG]

I don't like that the rear is sitting low enough yet. I may have to add air ride in the rear to slam it down low enough to suit my preferences???