Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Jack-off Accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike51Merc, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

b a l a n c e !:d

2. When I first started working on my RPU at 13, Dad told me to always use jack stands. He said he'd kick my ass if he ever saw me under a car without them. Dad and the old RPU are gone now, but I still have the same 4 stands we used in 1959, and I still hear his words every time I jack up a car.

3. Shit, I carried around a 1.5 ton Sears floor jack for years as well as a pair of jackstands for years. And pieces of cut plywood in case I had to do something off the pavement.

Bob

4. 94hoghead

94hoghead

One time my hand slipped off because of the lotion I was using and I punched myself in the nose.

What is your nose doing down there??

Thats some funny stuff right there.................

5. Kid two houses up was using jackstands. He jacked the car up and set the stands under the rearend (one at each end) ... removed the wheels/tires and proceeded to unbolt the rearend from the leaf springs. His father was outside at the front of the house and heard a huge crash/thud. Fearing the worst, he rushed to the garage. No idea how the boy didn't get crushed ... not even a scratch. Just got really REALLY lucky that day I guess.

Note ... when removing a rearend, put the stands under the FRAME not the rearend itself.

6. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

whenever I need a car high enough to really work under (provided its not suspension work) I sit four old wheels under each tire and lock the e-brake... I am guilty of just jacking a car up and sliding under to grab something real quick. but I was younger and dumber then.

7. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Easy enough to throw a chunk of checker plate under stands on soft ground. My driveway is soft so I have a few stands welded to big plates, makes 'em nice and solid.

8. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Doesn't hurt to drive to an exit either. Lots of people are killed changing tires on the freeway because they tried to save a rim that was ruined the minute the tire blew out.

I carried the racing jack in my tow truck but often would make them drive to a safe place. Especially the ones who would stop in the middle lane:confused:

9. CGkidd

CGkidd

I have seen quite a few like that down in South America and Mexico. Scary...

10. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I'm not that damn flexable!

11. 62rebel

62rebel

i used to carry a damn big old Walker floor jack in the trunk.... it didn't even have rollers or casters on it, just a flat pad bottom, and it was a screw jack at that... wind it up, wind it down.... real bastard, but it never leaked down! it went walkies when i went overseas....

i've had cars fall off jackstands, luckily never with me under them. i stack rims, chunks of wood, ANYTHING under the car when i have to get under it. i actually made a special set of lifts sized for my Falcon, that raise it 14 inches and don't move at all, out of steel box tubing from a light pole.

12. 510madmav

510madmav

Imagine your back just blowing up if that fell. ^
    When it comes to working underneath a vehicle, you should always have jacks etc plus oh shit blocks.

13. Had a few close mishaps,due to not practicing what I preach So I quit gettin a hurry . Had one at 16 57 Chevy & 2 mismatched bumper jacks to pull tranny .Slammed the car door. it Fell ! My buddy & I finally centered the car over a ditch .After that one we pulled several in the same ditch. Poor boys pit But safe

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  14. I fall off the couch every time I try that.......:D

15. Somebody's yard art. Said they "had them for a very very very long time "
    [​IMG]

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'm so glad it's not a picture of a gooey keyboard.

17. spiders web

spiders web

Can't fix stupid!!!!!!!!!

18. Mabye the ducks name is Jack

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

.. and jeeze loueeze buy the big tall heavy duty ones. watched a guy pull a trans out with these tiny jackstands laying on the cement with his face 3" from the bottom of the floor. I raise my car more than that just to change the oil.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn, I was scared to open this thread.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  21. I'm kinda relieved to learn this thread title wasn't an admission the autor hadn't suffered another in a series masturbation-related accidents.

22. 1ton

1ton

Anybody remember using a bumper jack? Old n shitty suspensions with the jack on the edge of the ditch. Had to jack it about 16 inches before the tire came off the ground. Dangerous at best.

23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Had a guy here in town that died under a car "WITH" jack stands under it. He was in his garage on a concrete floor. Seems when the contractor built his house he put a bunch of tree stumps under the slab in the garage. Over time they rotted & a void was created. Right place at the wrong time. Now that's what I call dumb luck! As for me? I have about 20 jack stands all over. They are never far from where I work on my cars (or anything heavy for that matter). Use them even if I'm under there for 30 seconds and usually have the 3 ton jack taking some of the weight off. Have 1/4" steel plates for under them too. I have had jack stands sink into my pavement on a hot summer day. When I'm under something that weighs 4000 pounds I'm not taking any chances.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know a lot of us on here buy Harbor Freight jackstands, me included, but we had one fail on us. It was their heavy duty orange one and the pin that holds the dog in place that jams up against the teeth to keep it from dropping broke in half and the jackstand came down. Luckily it only pinched some skin on my hand, but could have been worse. I replaced the pin with grade 8 bolt and it has been ok ever since.

I am talking about the roll pin that goes through the lever and also the dog. When it breaks the dog spins freely on the lever (handle that you raise to disengage from the teeth.) You might want to look at yours.

Don

25. historynw

historynw

I have friends give me a weird look when I insist on putting the spare under the frame when we change a flat. The think I'm paranoid. Its not a pretty sight to find someone under a car.

26. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

My dad had a 65 Chevelle on jack stands when i was a kid. He crawled out from under it for some reason or another and it fell off the jack stands. Turns out one of the stands collapsed causing the other 3 to topple. Very good lesson to learn at such a young age. I can assure you i inspect the stands before i use them but even then you could still have a mishap...you can not put too much stuff under there before you crawl under it to be safe.

Rod

27. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

I just about pissed my self laughing right there ^ !!!

In all seriousness though, years ago I helped a buddy of mine pull a transmission out of a demo derby car (early '70's Chrysler luxo barge)when the damned thing fell on him. Only thing that saved his butt was the very thing that caused the car fall - he had semi truck rims under the car wheels acting as stands. The car was being worked on in his driveway which was sloped downhill and when the driveshaft came out the cars e-brake couldn't hold it place any more. He lucked out by literally fitting into the driveshaft tunnel while the semi truck rims didn't allow the cars suspension to fully settle. The rims also stopped the car from rolling down the driveway dragging him with it or worse. He earned the knick name Jack after that one - he now laughs about it but you'd never see either of us near let alone under a car that's not properly supported.

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A buddy of mine lost his brother inlaw under a car.
    Had it proped up on bricks.
    One crumbled and then the domino effect and he was crushed.
    Sad thing is his wife walked pasted him with his legs out from the car and thought he was just working away never realising the car had dropped onto him.

It must haunt her wondering if she had realised sooner whether she could have done something to help.

29. i'm pretty spoiled as i have a shop with three hoists in it so there is very rarely a need for working on a vehicle on the ground. that being said, a shop opened up next door that does used tires and oversized wheels. the kid who does that work NEVER uses jack stands or a torque wrench. now granted he's never under the car, but the minute a jack fails, its drums and rotors in the concrete. i'll see these guys jumping in and out of the driver seat with the whole side of the car off the ground with no wheels on it. scary.

then the other day i walked by at closing time and he was flipping the rear shackles on his truck with just a jack under the pumpkin. he had no idea what he was doing and was rocking that thing all over the place.

i talked to the owner and told him to make sure that his guys are using jack stands and a torque wrench, but he dont care. he'll care when he's getting his ass sued off or one of his guys loses a leg or something.

man i really hope nothing happens.

30. 23Rustrod

23Rustrod
    from Oregon

Did anyone catch the key word in the intro? (MINIVAN)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.