Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another interesting Thickstun chapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J. Fitzhugh, Aug 30, 2013.

1. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Enclosed is a photo of Hot Rod labeled Cast Iron heads as offered in an early 1950's Almquist catalog. Look closely at the round knobs in the upper right and left hand corners, the single opening for a temperature reading, the bosses on the bottom edge and if you look real closely in the middle, a boss just above the Hot Rod lettering. These are Thickstun heads with a different label.

Has anyone ever seen, or own any of these heads? I would love to get a picture to update the Thickstun story published in The Rodder's Journal Issue 8. I have seen here on the HAMB Thickstun cast iron heads. Maybe they just placed the Hot Rod lettering over the Thickstun lettering for the photos?

Note the Police Type promo from Almquist. In my original story, I had noted that Thickstun equipment, reportedly intake manifolds, were being installed in LA Ford dealers onto Police cars to allow them to keep up with speeding hot rodders.

Help me find a set!

Attached Files:

2. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

I've got a set aluminum Thickstuns for comparison but I can't really see what the ones in the add look like. I know the Thickstun patterns were later modified to produce Tatterfield and then S.A.E. . Same story for the intake patterns. Switching from aluminum to iron requires pattern changes to accommodate different pour and shrink properties.

3. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

You have to look really closely to see the raised boss where the head covers bolt. There have been verified Thickstun cast-iron or maybe steel heads shown here on the HAMB.

Just hoping someone can fill in some information.

Thanks,

Jay

4. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Digging and missed this post......

Jay, I can get you some shots of the 'cast' ones.......

Chris