Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Holy #2! Moment . . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old&Low, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Got Pacific timber rattlers at my place, thank goodness never came across one in a building!
    Out on the property, I'd see and kill quite a few every year. Now, less and less. Only 3 so far this year. Gettin' better.

2. See Rattlers all the time out here in the oilfields. I get a real kick outta the tough truck drivers I work with who turn into little girls, Jump on their trailers while I go get a shovel, then kill the rattler, and bury the head.-Weeks

3. Scumdog

Scumdog

No big bats, skunks, snakes, scorpions, racoons or badgers here, sheesh, it sounds like a pretty tame country eh!

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

haha great honey badger video.

Lucky you were wearing gloves! i havent had any encounters yet.. except a mouse got in my car once and ate the remainders of a day old in-n-out milkshake...

5. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

We have plenty of praire rattlers here they like to strike first and rattle if all else fails. So I have plenty of cats and a couple of dogs running around . Also helps that there a are a few hawks that hang around to! I HATE SNAKES!

6. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I also got some of them 6" wolf spiders in my pole barn!!! I went in there the other day and one had a field mouse and drug the mouse into its hole!!! IM SERIOUS TOO!!!! He got a healthy dose of either and then some fire for over kill :D

7. Muttley

Muttley

It wouldnt have mattered much if he bit me, I would have had a heart attack & dropped dead first. Disgusting creatures that serve no purpose.

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harden up guys, try sleeping on the ground with this list. Woke up one night with an Tiger Snake neatly curled up next to me, am I glad I had my F88 rifle with me!!
    Just another perk of serving my country......

http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html

Doc.

PS, Beware of a lot of the info on Aussy snakes online. A lot of it is pure BS, having been an Army Medic we kinda' learn a lot about our snakes and a lot that I read just makes me laugh!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I went to a "field find" 55 Chrysler a few weeks ago...opened the hood to check out the hemi, and found lots of black widow spiders. Not as bad as a rattler, but had me in the better be careful mode..quick !

10. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I used to have a pet racoon until she started to get mean, i released her at the nearest state park.

i almost sat on a rattle snake when i was a kid. my dad was stationed at Camp Pendleton CA. (U.S.M.C. base) and me and my brother were playing waaaaaaay off out in the middle of nowhere. if i was bitten i probably wouldnt have made it.

Was drinking and fishing in 93 along the rock river here in Illinois and it was severally flooded and overflowing i thought it waould be a good idea to climb a tree that overhung out over the river. i made it half way up and fell into the river. drunk and the fact that i cant swim would have sealed my fate that day, luckily for me we were fising in an inlet and my buddies girlfriend is a strong swimmer whom swam the Mississippi River alot in her life. she jumped in and swam out and pulled my ass to shore. phew.

11. Gotta watch at night here....damn bears.

12. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

going by Doc Watsons info If the 8 foot eastern brown that lurks around my parts cars ever got me I probably wouldnt even make it to the phone let alone the hospital

13. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

I was in Ripon, California visiting my wife' family for the first time, when the wife suggests that I trim a few branches from their small (12 foot) trees which lined the back yard. I climbed one tree to take a look around and found out quickly that such was the apartment of a very scrappy possum.

The most embarrishing thing was not jumping 4 feet in the air off the step latter, but screaming like a four-year-old, pig-tailed, girl.

Every time we go out there (this summer included), my wife's sister asks if I want to trim the trees (hardee-har-har, Alice).
    Pork

14. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

If Doc's most venomous is true i leave number 21 on the list when I find them in the garage because they're supposed to keep number 2 on the list away ,and well number 4 . just keep well away from them makes ya happy to see a great big carpet snake cause at least they can't killya

15. striper

striper

You better get a Honey Badger. What a mean little bastard.

I reckon if an eight foot brown had a nibble you better have a good compression bandage in your pocket and a mobile phone very handy.

When I go out in the middle of summer, that's what I do. Tigers and browns here.

16. striper

striper

Best thing about a red bellied black is ...well 2 things actually....the first you already mentioned. The other best thing is they don't chase you.

17. druids62

druids62

YIKES!!!! I just bought a truck in Alamogordo! I hope and pray there is no snakes in and around when I load this puppy up or the town is going to have a "Chicago fire". I HATE all snakes equally and I will scream like a school girl! You can make fun of me because I don't care!

18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm really dumb when it comes to snakes, I actually pick them up and release them outside my building. Mostly harmless around here. Jack Russell dogs love to kill snakes, maybe you SW US boys ought to buy a couple of them! Scumdog I just ASSumed that you folks in New Zealand had those nasty snakes like Doc Watson and the boys from Australia have..?

19. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

Two weeks ago we were out visiting my parents for a long weekend. I was switching over the laundry and found a live bat in the dryer. I sharted myself!

20. robleticia

robleticia

Really???? A snake thread??????

21. Yah, and my thread on building a gasser out of a washing machine got closed. Go figure. :rolleyes:

22. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmm.... If it was me that saw the rattler.

1. I'd make a post about "Another Holy Shit Moment".

2. I'd make a follow up post, "How do you remove brown stains from shorts".

3. There would be a post in the classifieds in the other stuff for sale. "For sale: Ranch in New Mexico" or will trade for property in Barrows Alaska ASAP

HellRaiser

23. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Snakes. Nasty business almost as scary as a hemi powered laundry machine!!

24. jipp

jipp

yes, iv walked out the shop door to almost step on a gila monstor, and rattle snakes a few times. ( however. since a California king snake has decided to make the old racnhero its home.. during the dry months ill fill a hub cap with water, this has kept the California snake around for 5 years now and since no rattle snakes.. im lucky he has decided to take up home here.. what i hate is them damn scorpions.. you be working on the ground and Zap@@ sting hurts more than a wasp sting thats for damn sure. lol
    chris.

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats the one thing about most of our snakes, you upset one and the bastard chases you until it gets you!:mad:

Mikeey if an 8ft Eastern Brown gives you a full measure of venom your dead, even if it happens in a hospital car park.
    One good thing is, they can vary the amount of venom they administer in each bite so you can actually get a dry bite if the snake is not too pissed off.

I watched that 'Swamp people' the other night and one of them picked up a snake and said 'if that it bit you, you wouldn't make it 3 steps', man I had to laugh, no snake in the continental US has that power, even if it managed to hit and envenomated your clavicular artery!!!:p

Striper, one good thing to do is carry a inch square 'Melolin' dressing in your PIM kit, place that on the envenomation site first then use your bandages. If you are in a high envenoming area also carry a TEXTA and mark where the bite site is after bandaging.
    My PIM kit was quite large, as well as what I already mentioned I would carry a number of (The more the better) Triangular Bandages, inflatable multi use splints, and if I have a vehicle I also carried Vacuum Splints.

Being bitten by a snake out here is more common than you think and I would see at LEAST one envenomation per exercise up north.

Oh, yeah and I fucking HATE snakes!

Doc.

26. r7bis

r7bis

Only have had one rattlesnake this summer and it didnt like the lawnmower that much. Have more problems with scorpions this year than snakes.

27. oj

oj

Good thread, i'm going out to gather up a mess of cats and will catch up with you later!

28. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Now I remember (again) why I live in western Washington State. NO SNAKES!! (except the odd little non-venomous garter snakes). Maybe if I'd been raised in an area that had snakes and had learned how to deal with them I could do it today; but I wasn't. I HATE SNAKES!!!

29. MercMark

MercMark

Maybe 8 months of snow and winter isn't so bad after all...

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Snakes don't freak me out, but poison ones , I don't care for! My fear is spiders! I couldn't live anywhere where there is taranchulas.