Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another hacked up 52 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Romain, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Romain

Romain
    from france

Hey guys, heres the current story of a car I've been working on over the past years.
    I could just drive it again last week, its been disassembled two years,
    so it might be time for a build-thread about whats been done so far.

The story starts in 2007.
    Allways been fond of sleds, I decide to look for one to build.

My favourite car is the 49/52 chevy business coupe.
    Theres no way I can find one in decent shape over here in europe at that time, so I spend some time looking for a good one on the internet.

I finally spot this one on egay, and contact the seller six months after its beeing advertised. Suprinsingly it is not sold yet, the dude who owns it doesnt have internet, actually it was a friend of his who tried to help him selling it, but it didnt work out.

I could reach him on the phone, agreed to lower the price a bit so I could fly over to Marietta GA, check the car, pay and arrange shipping. Duh !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No bad suprises on arrival, the car had just three owners, the exterior repainted once a long time ago, theres even paint leaks on the trim.

Theres small bubbles on one door, the two front floors are shot, classic on these cars because water leaks from the doors finally end up under the carpets.

[​IMG]

My magnet sticks all the way through the body, everythings good so I dont hesitate a second to bring it back !
    I got the time to meet very cool dudes from the hamb !
    Now THAT were some cool vacations

A few months later the car is finally here, amazing to drive around even fully stockish.
    But I really need to think about working on it.
    Well, the steering, suspensions, brakes, handling... are definately hard to deal with, looks like you drive a truck most of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to my buddy Chrisp, -that I'd really like to thank for his help and advice ! - I fly to LA to check how them shops do it in the states.
    I decide to buy most of the tools and parts to build the car so its 100% roadworthy.
    I'll do the exterior body work later, but at least let the hard stuff be made first.

350 goodwrench, tci 700r4, digital air ride kit, fatman stage 4 ifs,
    4 link kit, lokar shifter and stuff, walton fab pedal, stainless u joints and shaft from flaming river, 4 1/4" whitewalls, sombreros caps, ewheel, wilwood stuff, hammers, non-metric tools...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few months later everything is finally here, time to start !

Well, the garage is too small, with the father, time for us to spend some time to double the surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. Romain

Romain
    from france

Finally dry, lets go !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I install the IFS first, need the body to check clearances and alignment, nothings rubbing in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is rolled outside so I can work on the chassis inside the garage, time for a first mock up for motivation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

78 sw malibu rear end with just a few miles, slightly narrower than stock,
    allows for good clearance all the way inside the body.

[​IMG]

Stock riveted K member goes.

I build a thick big bridge over the rear end, trying to make it like theres no weld that could fail; they act like gigantic gussets.

The engine/trans is mounted and removed to check how to build the scratch K member.

Had to do several cardboard and metal dummies for the bridge to make sure everything would align well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then 4 link is installed.
    Bags are in front of axle for more travel, I dont want to weld on the pumpkin so that was kinda tricky to get everything in that tight space, paying attention the angles.
    (digital angle finder rules ! way more precise than the cheaper ones)

You can see everything is reinforced, well... a LOT. I got to admit Im a bit paranoid...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine mounts are multi-piece welded together, ressemble arches that allow the power steering to fit throught. Gambino-inspired :D

The best thing is that they provide loads of extra strenght for the top-hats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The K member has a removable section for the trans tail.

The exhaust goes throught the crossmembers, tried to apply
    art morrison's ideas.

Behind the stainless huggers, I built a six-sections double exhaust line, out of tubes, elbows, ends... everything out of stainless steel, tig-welded.

Later I'll add two magnaflow glasspacks and a couple of elbows in the end section to make room for the summit fuel cell.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  3. Romain

Romain
    from france

Did a first mock up to check out where to cut in the body to allow chassis fit.

I thought all I needed was a couple of wheelwells, wrong !! :D
    80% of the inner floors or trunk are gone when I finished cutting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Holy Sh

Holy Shi^^ you bought a car, tools, sh^^ ton of parts, and than decide to build another garage. You are my hero!!!!!! can you give me pointers on how to tend to a money tree? Did you win the French Lotto? Likes like you are on your way to having a cool car to raom the French countryside in.

5. Romain

Romain
    from france

Highr scratch made trans tunnel, the front seatbench is relocated higher. Rear floors are scratch, higher. Rear trunk floor and wheel wells too.

The stock steering column is re-used shortened, modified bearings, bolted to the reinforced firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Romain

Romain
    from france

Chassis has a notch made on the crossmembers for the new shaft;
    did fabricate my own brake lines.

I sprayed chassis and floors but made everything else sandblasted/epoxy, wheels too.

Rear end is totally checked by a friend, we reuse the shafts and drums that were like new, and overhaul the rest (seals, 3.40 ring and pinion, brakes, backing plates...)
    The setup is pretty mild, no extravagant mileage, and you allways got some power in overdrive on the freeway ! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JVK54

JVK54

Nice car, and nice work. Did you run out of money on the wooden go-jacks?

8. Romain

Romain
    from france

Then up to final assembly this spring !!

Connecting air ride, made my own wiring, connect all the hoses and wired stuff...
    Mounted three vdo instruments, my bro built a cool under dash mount out of water cut stainless sheetmetal.
    Hell not period perfect so are lots of parts on this build, but I wanted to drive it asap. Details will be re-thinked later... after exterior mods.
    Who said Roof chop ?

The radiator was the last stock part, it didnt hold the extra pressure and heat from the V8 on the first ride around the block. Got it fully rebuilt.

The flex fan does not cool much, no room for a shroud. So I installed flat Hi-perf electrical fans. No pics yet but I'll take some...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Romain

Romain
    from france

Finally heres pics of the car taken last weekend, attended its first show ! Looks like a slammed stock for now, I like the stance.
    I'm thinking of a chop in the future but not 100% decided on the details.

Anyway it rides like a blast, that was the goal :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice work!! Someday I will tear my 51 down....after all the other projects are done :rolleyes:

11. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

Nice, that thing is bad! you put some serious work in. Great pics, thanks for posting

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Awsome built, GREAT JOB!
    Copper brakelines?

13. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Wow, you don't mess about. You have taken what has to be one of favourate cars and done exactly what i'd do if i had the skills and money to do so. Great cruiser, stock looking and able to slam it down or scoot along when the mood takes you. You must be pleased, i would be, i'd sleep in it!!! The best i think i could do is find a nice stocker and lower it but finding one like that in the UK will probably never happen. Seems a shame to paint it, looks great!!

Lucky, lucky guy

All the best Dan

14. Moloko

Moloko

I'm saving this thread as a reference for my own car. Great job!

15. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Hey just noticed you live in france, where abouts? looks like a nice place to live. If prices for tools are as bad as england that probably cost you quite a bit. I like the english wheel, just the right size.

16. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

cool looking car,
    you're a man on a mission..

17. I was kinda worried when I saw that nice stocker about to be taken apart, but it looks like you've done it justice....nice work.

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Bon jour, tre bien! And that's about all I remember from 10th grade French. I need your energy; you're doing great work. I've got to show this to my nephew; he has a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe I gave him. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. Orn

Orn

Impressive work and it turns out real nice.

20. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

One of the nicest builds I have seen. I love your car!

21. Please get rid of the copper brake lines. They will work harden from movement and break. I work with copper everyday and every time you bend it it gets harder. Your car is much to nice to destroy from an accident. Great work.

22. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Excellent work, especially having to source the car, parts, etc. "long distance". I've read elsewhere that France has extremely restrictive motor vehicle codes and regulations regarding any type of modification. Will you have problems with getting your car registered and licensed?

23. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Wow. Thats a huge amount of work and it looks great!

24. BadLuck

BadLuck

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I remember a thread on here several years ago about copper brake lines developed in Europe. IIRC, they are better than steel lines, and in some countries, you are required to run them.

(Love your car by the way. Good job.)

26. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

27. Albie

Albie

Great car with a cool stance. What size tires are you running? 6.70s?

28. big creep

big creep

new garage to boot too! this thing turned out great!

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

:eek: No shit !!!!!!!