Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Gov't rant...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zippeay, Sep 23, 2008.

1. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Ok I'm gonna bitch a little. So I'm trying to start my own business. Well before I even started this I went to my city "Clinton, Ut" to see if I could run a business from my home. She asked "what kind" I said "Auto Upholstery" she say's oh that's fine! I do all the paperwork and jump through all the hoops and pay all the fucking fee's etc. I even registered with the Tax man... So today I get a call from the city saying I can't do upholstery out of my house because I don't have a separate building to do it in "ummm I do have a 3 car garage BTW". I was like WTF? I asked that specific question before I went through all this horse shit and you said it was fine!
    So I went to the city and read all their "regulations" and pretty much no where did it say anything like she was trying to tell me. So I thought what if I just tell them I'm only doing Couches and chairs "home stuff" and she say's oh that would be ok???? Now WTF is the difference??? But it even get's more stupid. She say's to me "You can only upholster home furniture if you actually bring the items to your house yourself. You cannot have someone drop it off at your house" Who the fuck writes these laws? So I had to promise that nobody would drop stuff off at my house and that I wouldn't do car's or boat's, pretty lame.... So here I am, trying to do this all legit and I have to deal with all this crap? Good god, no wonder people cheat on taxes... I might as well open up a whore house it would probably be easier. So if anyone want's they're car done here I'm just going to call it a couch k :D. Ok I'm done bitching

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's always best to leave the government out of your business as much as possible.

3. skwurl

skwurl

A whore house would probably be more profitable. You could pay the government off like a real BIG business. Yea whorehouse woulda been better.

4. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I was actually not going to do it legit but the only place in Utah that sells supplies only deals with businesses. So I thought "yes I know I shouldn't think" it wouldn't be that big of a deal to get a business license and get my stuff through them for wholesale. So yes I kinda brought this all on myself lol.

5. MOST cities wont let you do AUTO work at the home. We all do it anyway.

6. Abomination

Abomination

ESPECIALLY in Utah, dude. :)

~Jason

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

fuck em'. just lie. i ddont lie to people, well most of the time. our filthy,lying government on the other hand, i have no problems lying to them.

8. I'm for the whore house myself.................screw the upholstery

9. Aggravating, but not surprising...

Of course I live in CA, not Utah.

10. Isn't that what the whores are for?...:rolleyes:

11. The more questions you ask the government the more likely you are not going to get the answer that you like...just don't tell your neighbors the outcome and do it anyways and if anybody asks you are just doing it for your brother in law...save some of the red crushed velvet just in case you decide to do the whorehouse though

12. I do all kinds of upholstery,cars,boats,airplanes,sofas,and of course Hot Rods.County Tax man came by and asked what kind of business I was running here.I told him none,"this is my hobby shop" no new taxes,no licenses to get.And by the way,the upholstery supply houses (at least around here)dont give a rats ass about a business license.as long as you got the CASH!!!

13. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

YAH and the gov't wonders why anyone would cheat them out of a few measly tax dollars that yow worked hard for....they just dont get it....

cash is king

"ahhh, **it, its Holstein..."

gaspumpchas:D

14. On the plus side , whores and couches go together so you'll save a lot overhead by doing the couches yourself . Seems like a great combo business .
    p.s. be sure you have a partially disassembled couch or chair around at all times so you seem ligit

15. This is the price we pay for not paying attention to politics... trust me, I don't want to get into a political argument here as this is not the place to do so.

Just remember that when you enlist the government to protect your life, liberty or property you lose all of them. Your fellow citizens do not want you to operate a business from your house and the government will enforce their will upon you.

16. skwurl

skwurl

Well put.

17. slammed

slammed

Yep, under the radar as much as possible............

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The government is uniquely deserving of being lied to, but it is also uniquely capable of trashing every aspect of your life if it catches you.
    It is a horrible thought, but if they seem to be making up rules that are not clearly spelled out in a written code you can see...consider spending some money with a lawyer who specializes in business problems. He can make unenforceable requirements go away and tell you best way of dealing with the stuff that is there in writing. And if he does the actual paper-filing and legwork at the counter, there will be no bullying with imaginary rules.
    Running a business illegally, especially once you have gone downtown and put yourself on the radar, could bite you badly.

19. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

What about doing your intakes and sales reciepts out of a small business type shed.

What about enclosing a section of your garage with a temporary wall?

20. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

You know, couches come in handy for whorehouses. Stick to leather though, Its tough to get crap out of cloth.

on a more serious note, I would look in to this some more. Since you are doing things by the books and was essentially mislead by them on what you can do or cannot do. I would petition to get back all the $$ spent on this be paid by the city. See what they say at that time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  21. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Thanks for all the advice! Yes I may stretch the trueth a little to do the business I want but if they have time to sit in front of my house and make sure I'm not doing car's then screw em. The town I live in isn't very small so I think I'll be ok. I just think they should worry about other shit than me working out of my garage. Someone mentioned the whole thing about walling off the garage. They said if I had a detached garage then it would be ok. It just aggrivates me more to think how stupid the whole thing is. The part that makes me most upset is I explained exactly what I wanted to do and 2 weeks ago she had no problem with it. Ok we've beat the horse enough lol. Thanks guys

22. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Get the whores to sew the sofas between shifts. It's called multitasking.

23. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Atleast be a alliance vendor. We all need a discount.:D

24. My ex has been doing seats and all. she lives in the middle of Roy Ut and no one has said a word to her.

25. I've worked for the government for damn near 48 years ... One thing to always remember .... "It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission" ...

26. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

As soon as you apply for a resale sellers permit in Califorina you will get a
    city notice to apply for a city business licence. These people all trade info.
    go for it...just tell them its a home office and thats all.

27. brewsir

brewsir

So whats the going rate for an actual shop space in Utah? Maybe get a single stall somewhere ...heck I bet there's a body shop that has an extra space that could rent to you pretty cheap and they would love to be so close to an upholstery guy! I'm sure you would pick up a lot of extra work from being there too.

28. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'm guessing the areas where it's legal to set up a retail business front are not acceptable for you to live in, or you'd have moved there in the first place. So now you want to subject your neighbors to the same commercial environment you personally avoided when choosing your house. See the circularity here? Sorry the city wouldn't extend special treatment to ya.

29. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I'm not sure who said it but this has always been a favorite of mine:
    "Government has no business being in business"

30. The Monkey

The Monkey

Tell them your from Pakistan, they'll give you the permit and even money to build your shop and cover insurance cost for your first five years.