Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another frame built

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE47, Mar 22, 2008.

1. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

hello hambers, I just finished up all the frame works and welding on this project and thought I'd share some pix. It's for a 29 A sedan. 4" step in front and 10" rear kick. Triangulated 4 link w/ coil overs. It'll run a nailhead. The frame is made from 2x4 box, stamped front x-member and tubular tranny x-member with removable center piece. All TIG welded.

Here's an overall shot
    [​IMG]
    here's a shot of the steering shaft support bung and "reversed blister" to give the shaft a bit more room to clear the starter.
    [​IMG]
    I added some gussets to the bone mounting brackets to give them a bit more strength as well as a more finished look.
    [​IMG]
    Decided that a gloss black finish would be nice since I spent hours smoothing out the rails. I found an affordable "Frame Paint" at my local auto parts store. $40/gallon. Gloss black enamel. It's ready to spray right out of the can! No mixing. 2 coats, nice finish. Way better than the old piss can and cheaper too. I used rattle-can etch primer first.
    [​IMG]
    Getting ready to start chassis assembly. Got get the front end parts painted today and get this sucker rolling.
    [​IMG]

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Workmanship looks beautiful.

Only question, did you do any fish plating to the "Z's"

3. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Even though I TIG'd it all and I know the welds are in there I still fish plated. There are 6" long plates at the front step.
    [​IMG]

4" at the rear lowers.
    [​IMG]

For the rear uppers I incorporated the upper 4 link mounts to work as gussets. They span the 2 pieces of 2x4.
    [​IMG]

4. nice work ... cant wait to see it finished..

5. Bert

Bert

Nice........great metalwork...Bert

6. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll update when I get the rest of the suspension in and the motor set back in it.

7. Does the owner still want that junk body on it? Or is he going to finish it so it matches your clean frame? Could you please send your cleaning service to my garage....thanks!

8. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

nice. i like the shop. where you at?

9. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I'm in Manville.

Hey Mel, I offered to clean out your place before didn't I? And yes for now the body stays as is, or as isn't, depending on if your looking at the metal or the holes.

10. Hahahaha... I think you clean me out every time your hear!

Bring me some treats, I'm tired of supplying the cookie platters...

11. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

At least I only eat the cookies and drink all the coffe. Just be glad I leave the parts alone.

12. SD49chevy

SD49chevy

Awsome welds they are a thing of beauty.

13. My welding looks like baby snot compared to this....THANKS!!! LOL

Great job. :)

Matt

14. Good work. Rat rod no more.

15. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

So your using a mustang 2 front end right? hahaahah looks bitchin mike! cant wait to see the rest! -jordan

16. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

HAHAHA. Yeah and a billet steering wheel to match the 20" wheels!

For those wondering what the hell?...Jordan did the axle that's going on this car. I'll be sure to show off your handy-work in an update by the week's end. Jordan's axle's are awesome-buy one.

Richard, this one is for a sedan I'm doing for a local guy. I talked him into going a bit more towards the traditional style but still real driver friendly instead of the rat rod route. My roadster upgrade is still in the works and will be getting further along over the next few weeks. I know you've been following that build as well.
    Thanks to all for the compliments and comments.

17. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

thats a nice looking shop, ill have to swing by some time. my buddy used to live in manville.

18. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

You're welcome anytime. Give me a ring to be sure I'll be around. 908-725-4389.....Mike.