Register now to get rid of these ads!

another flathead build Av8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pearlbike1974, May 13, 2011.

1. pearlbike1974

pearlbike1974

well here it goes my first flatty build, i have a 8ba thats been sleeved to stock with some minor cracks . it cleaned up at 30 over lastnight and i magnafluxed it . my question is i want to run the stock crank, heads,and rods with a set of high comp ross pistons. what would be good performance compression ratio for the street? how would this motor combo wake up with a full race cam? any ideas for a hot street 8ba build? please note im running 2 97s with headers stainless valves 1.5 and a t5 tranny . hang loose

2. pearlbike1974

pearlbike1974

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Good stuff!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Sorry about that. It was good info and I didn't want it to get lost in a slab of text. Put the wrong smiley as well. Still, great info and summary.

5. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Look at some cams here.http://schneidercams.com/.

Do some work on the ignition there is some decent increase there.Don't get too involved in a bunch of unnecessary machine work as you won't notice it in a street car.Clean up the ports some and balance it. Good return on investment.At .030" over there is not a bunch of piston options.They usually start @.080" over and more. There is no excuse for cubic inches start at .125" over and go from there.Find a merc crank also easy mod as you don't have pistons yet.I don't care if you proof my post some fng's will get over it.

Tig

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Oh the drama.

I skipped rodnut1's post because too hard to read. I read the broke down paragraph when I got to it. Don't care if broke down correctly or not. Easier to read. Thanks 32ford5.

Neal

7. Ole don

Ole don

The best thing you could do is to use a T 5 tranny. No matter where the RPM band ends up, you will have a gear to use it. If you take the time to bolt on a boring bar, why stop at .030? Take it out .090 and with the 3-3/4 stroke, it should be a quick reving engine. Spend some time in the four corner exhaust holes, most 8 BA's have a big gob of crap in there to grind out. Most of the headers on the market today need to be cleaned out inside to flow right. Guys are reporting they really like the L100 cam on the street.

8. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

You don't say whether or not you "finish-honed" the bores, but I would strongly recommend using a block-plate during the finish honing process. it guarantees the bores are straight when the head studs/bolts are torqued up!

It is worth some measureable HP also!

The Isky "800" cam would serve you well, slightly short on lift, but works great. Just dynoed a stroker with this grind and made 154 HP @ 4300 and 250+ Torque @ 2200. It also has "tough" sound in this Merc while idling!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We've also recently incorporated a machining procedure into the block-plate to "pin" the gaskets and heads to the block, similar to the SBC's. Will extend head gasket life greatly and stabilize any "movement" between the heads and the block! This is very important when using most aftermarket heads that fit loosely on the studs/bolts! The photo of the block plate was taken before the pinning procedure was included. The same plate is now used to "dowel-pin" it all together!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Lighten up old fart

10. pearlbike1974

pearlbike1974

ok now im super excited !!! so i will have Bob mcrey do a port and relive job on the block and i think i will have to go with a mild dome piston and rework my stock heads . the max 1 cam is looking like the right cam for my motor. thank u guys great info!!!

11. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Neal. I was trying to help. It was a good post but as we all know, a massive slab of text is incredibly difficult to read - at any level.

12. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Yup it sure is.

Tig

13. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Again, I apologise. Seriously, I thought it was a great post. I made a mistake touching your quote. This is way out of hand. You clearly have a lot to offer us. I am not the type of person you just described (grammar Nazi). In fact this is the first time in over 900 posts I have ever even mentioned readability.

Please continue to contribute. Your experience and knowledge is highly valued. Especially here!

14. trad27

trad27

Chill out it was a very good post and I for one learned alot, you obviusly have alot of experince we can all learn from. He was just making it a little easier to read for us with bad eyes.

15. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Rodnut what is your problem just post and be done with it, Stop with the rebuttals.Leave it be and it will go away by itself mostly self inflicted.Share your knowledge give your advise and let them absorb it. 2¢ more.Some of us are 60 + and don't really care.

Tig

16. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Appears Rodnut has left the sand box oh well!

17. ruxton

ruxton

I go to your posts for the invaluable, time tested, blood and sweat kind of hands on knowledge. Screw the guys who think they are grammar teachers. It's the info. Would you teachers out there show us your 50 yrs. of experience on flatties. I'll be thankful for the info however it is written. I've done lots of other kinds of engines, but flatties are totally different. New to flatheads, very thankful for your info. please keep it up.....Ruxton.