Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another F1 brake question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59elky, Jan 30, 2007.

1. 59elky

59elky

What is the difference in the 48-52 F1 brakes and the 53-56 F100 brakes? Will they all fit the 37-48 car spindles?

2. I have a 47 ford 1/2 ton and I used my buddy's old drum set up off of his 53 f1. They bolted right up.

3. 59elky

59elky

I'm not much of a mechanic, more of a paint and body guy. What does self energizing brakes mean?

4. [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Definition: Property of a drum brake, whereby the braking force is increased by the braking action of the shoes against the drum.[/FONT]

5. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

The 48-52 have a bit taller hub than the 53-56 F100. The backing plates are the same, I think.

Anyone know if the bearings are the same? I bought an F1 setup that already has bearings for passenger car spindles, and I want to use them in my F100 hubs.

Here's a couple threads:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153589

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143598&&showall=1

6. backing plates ,shoes , bearings the same.

inkorekt is right....the hub and drums have a different offset

f100 left...f1 right...picture stolen from here

[​IMG]

7. Gator

Gator

Basically self energizing brakes work like this: The primary (front) shoe grabs when you apply the brakes, and through the self adjuster link at the bottom pushes the secondary (rear) shoe into the drum. The secondary shoe does a lot more of the braking on this type setup, which is why the secondary shoe linings are longer. The whole deal kind of floats on the anchor pins.

This uses the rotation of the drum to help with braking, therefore less pedal effort is required.

On non servo brakes the shoes are attached to a fixed anchor on the bottom. The front shoe does the majority of the work on this setup. You know yourself how touchy these are to get adjusted correctly.

Clear as mud now, right?