Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Effen Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EssexCoupe, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I think you are lucky,if you find one.What i've understood,they are getting really hard to find in there.I'd like to get one too,but if its hard to find in there,it'll be impossible to find in here.I guess i just stick with my original plan..I've wondered why nobody makes repro surrounds from steel,that would sure be a big hit.
    And its the 50' surround what guys use,not 51'.
    Keep up the good work!

2. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

I decided to Hardtop the car. I think the combination of a 5/7 chop, 4-5 inch channeling with hardtop styling will give the car just the right attitude. I mocked up the mustang seats in the car, and the headroom is right on the money. I am still in progress on the chop, so I will update more as this week moves along.

I am also pretty stoked about picking up my C4 and driveline on Friday. I put alot of thought about going with a Crate Tranny or a local rebuilder - and decided a local builder is the right choice for me. I like to support my local economy whenever I can. My buddy gave me a reference about a shop out in Gresham that does great work. They have been in business for 30 years, and they built his last 3 trannys. So, if all works out well - The rebuild will be done by next Friday (7/6). The shop is doing a full rebuild - shift kit - new clutch plates - new bands - and manual valve body. They provide a warranty, so if anything goes tits up I can take it back to them for repair. I feel good about that. If all works out well - I should be test firing this motor and tranny by the end of July or early August.

3. big creep

big creep

wow its looking great!

4. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Looking awesome dude!

5. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Looks great. Subscribed

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I made some calculations.
    Chopped shoebox+hard top modification=sounds like Hirohata merc'-style windows to me:D

7. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Wow looks badass!! I love the work you have done!!! Only difference would be a milder chop.

8. Oh my fucking god man. U r killing it. There are only a handful of shoeboxes really doin it for me on here. There all sweet but man. What you've done with the channeling is killer. Once I saw ur roof back on as u know I prefer a nice profile chop not slammed back window so that cars fastback. And hard top. Ohhhhjj shit fucking yeah. I thought about it with mine cause some of them look fucking awesome. Desotto grill to I agree. Also and I'm just sayin but if ur goin this far with it can I suggest a wheel arch drop on the rear like mine. It may not be ur thing but head topped channeled and wheel arch drop would make that thing look so fat and low. I'm so glad I went ahead with mine. It changes the whole look of the rear ad u don't have any wheel tubs I'm assuming so its not that hard. I'm lovin ur car. Next time I come to the states (I have been twice and am goin in April for viva and loan star were hangin out. Deal? Beers food and talkin heaps of shoebox and hotrod shit.
    Des

9. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Thanks big creep. I have been watching your build also - looking good my man.

10. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Thanks man - I appreciate it!

11. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Des - Thanks alot buddy. I sure appreciate the compliment. I am definately down for having beers and hanging out when you are in the states. We have been talking about going to Lone Star in 2013, so maybe we can plan to meet up in Vegas?

12. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

No pictures to post tonight, but I wanted to throw out an update anyhow. I am really stoked about working on the choptop. I have been putting in many, many hours lately but thats what it takes when your building your dream. The chop is the part of the build where things can go really good, or really fuckin bad right quick. I have been thinking about how to do this for many moons, so I just hope to get it right. There is alot of controversy around here about mild or wild chops and that is great. People having opinions is part of the game. For me, I am a fan of the wild chop. I have 2 roofs, 6 doors and 4 extra fenders worth of metal to play around with. I really dig the look of the Buster Litton hardtop, so I am kinda going in that direction for the roof. I am building window channels into the chop so I can have full glass and wing windows. I shaved the stock raingutters off and am in the process of building my own out of 3/8" roundbar. I am also building a sliding ragtop unit (38x40) that I will be installing during the chop process. I will post up progress pics in the next couple of days.

13. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Just found this thread. Spinners coming along great at a warp speed pace!

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Damn it dude that car is comin out great!
    I like your gf's Comet too...maybe even more :)

15. fordman1

fordman1

That is some awesome work. Can't wait to see it on the road! Glad to see more wicked customs in the Portland area. Mine will be mild for a while and then go full custom, loving the stance on yours.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Six doors?
    You dont have any Victoria or convertible doors?Those could make the hard top modification a bit easier,just a thought..

17. Awesome that could be a plan my friend. I'll keep posted closer to viva. I can't wait to see photos of this bad boy chopped now and hard topped. This this is gunna look sick.

18. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Well, its been a real busy day. I have gotten lots done, but there is still a long ways to go. I thought I should post up some progress pictures of the choptop work. This is my 1st chop on a full-size car, and so far so good. Here are some shots without the doors.

Attached Files:

19. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

And here are a couple more mock up shots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  20. God damn that looks cool. Hard top is gunna be killer. I'm excited for ya brother. How have u finished the bare steel. Is it sanded it looks nice as and that body looks like u really got a good car to begin with
    Des

21. daddio211

daddio211

Are you sure you don't want to make that sliding rag 38" x 100" and have a convertible hardtop sedan? :D

Looks great man!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  22. EBW

EBW

WOW... just sayin' :cool:

23. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hey Des - Thanks alot man. I been keepin the metal clean by wiping it down with acetone or kerosene. You know how it is - bare metal is hard to keep looking good. Got to stay on top of it.

24. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Unfortunately, no convert or hardtop doors. But I have plenty of spare metal to go ahead and change my Tudor doors into hardtop doors. No worries there.

25. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Haha - pretty funny. I think a 38 x 100 is gettin just a bit farther than I want to go. With that size rag, I should just make it a convertible.

26. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Uh oh - What the hell happened to my roof?

Attached Files:

27. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Just kiddin fellas. Here is a couple more progress shots. I got the windshield header all fitted up and finished in. Couple more days and I should have the backlight and all the wrap-around metal finished up.

Attached Files:

28. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

The chop is nearly completed and pretty extreme. It worked out to be 6 front and nearly 9 to the back. The backlight is laid out and sewn up. I pancaked the upper side panels of the roof, reinforced the 40x40 ragtop opening with 1-inch .25 flat stock, and nearly completed the rear sail panels. I also just picked up another 51' 4-door parts car, so I decided to stretch the back end of my car 6-inches and pancake the decklid. More on that later.

Attached Files:

29. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Couple in the works shots..

Attached Files: