Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Dumb Wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Aug 20, 2010.

1. So I am trying to get my wiring finished off and I have run into another issue that I am not sure about so hopefully someone will be able to answer this. I should probably give some background as to what I am working with first.

My wiring is based on a harness out of a late 80's Buick that my Dad had started to work on but did not finish before he passed away. At the time I was planning on running a GM column but have switched over to something more fitting my project (limeworks column and signal stat turn signal switch).

So here is my problem. I have shaved door handles so I have internal switches to operate the solinoids. The way it was origianlly wired there was a wire coming off of one of the swiches to a keyed terminal on the GM column(the turn signal plug) and the other side of that terminal ran to a convinience center that has warning buzzers, relays etc on it. My issue is having ditched the GM column I not longer have that keyed terminal to run these wires to so I guess my question is what can I do with them? It appears that they are required as I think this provides the power to that switch.

Can I just tie them together or will there be a constant draw even wth the vehicle off if I do that?

Run them is some other manner?

Any suggestions would be great.

If it wasn't for the fact that my Dad had put so much time into this harness I would just ditch it and get an aftermarket one but I just can't bring myself to do that so I have to work with what I've got.

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Like to help, but need more info. Can you provide some sort of wiring diagram? I take it that the door handles are now buttons and release the door. If you wire it to the battery terminal (fused) it should not have current draw unless the button is depressed. Any further info would be helpful.

3. Here is a terrible diagram of basically what is going on. The colors mean nothing just used them to distinguish the wires in question. My problem is at the Column because I no longer have this terminal to use now that I have gone to a different set up.

Thanks

[​IMG]

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Looking at your diagram, and from what I see, the keyless entry must be routed through the column for some reason, perhaps the column keeps the door solenoids from being actuated when exiting car to prevent locking yourself out. I would try connecting the two wires together and see what happens. If you are not sure about current draw through battery, put a test lamp in between the positive post and the positive lead of the battery. If it lights then you have current flowing from something.

5. Thanks I will give it a try.