Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another dumb question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicfins, Nov 20, 2011.

1. classicfins

classicfins

Ok, I know I'm probably going to get bashed here for not knowing this, but what does "Gowjob" mean and where did the term come from? I've never heard it before until just recently.
    Doug

2. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

It's my understanding that the term "gowjob" dates back to the 1920's & 30's to describe a car that had early speed equipment or engine modifications and non-essential parts (fenders, hood, etc.) removed to improve performance. In other words, a hot rod, but the term had not yet been invented.

It probably was a slangy way of describing a car that really "goes".

I'm sure more knowledgable people will weigh in on this....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. A Rodder

A Rodder

You sold me on it. Sounds real reasonable

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Any one who would have actually been around in the "gowjob" days would now be 95 to 100 years old. You are looking for a guy who was pretty savy back then and not senile today. Good luck.

5. Not a dumb question but the 'Search' function works wonders...this gents answer in the first post is generally accepted as the historically correct answer. Ultimately, 'gow' descends from an English adaptation of a Cantonese slang word for opium...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34415