Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another deuce build thread but hopefully different

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hb32, Mar 10, 2015.

1. I have posted pics but thought that I may as well start a build thread which may help generate ideas and help, so feel free to contribute.
    Starting off with a fairly stock 32 Ford pickup, mechanical brakes, banger etc. Plans are to re create a pre war survivor hot rod pickup, if there was such a thing, as it appears they were mostly roadsters. May not be on the road this year but if all goes well, it will be at Deuce Days in Victoria BC. July 2016.
    I am gathering original unrestored parts for the build and have almost everything I need.
    It came with a passenger grille, which I have replaced with a really nice commercial and the elusive rad cap. The banger is staying and I have a pair of Stromberg 81`s with a Burns intake and just acquired a really nice Winfield crows foot yellow head.
    Headlights were Model A and have since been replaced with 32 commercials.
    Hood was a mess and found a decent original 20 louver.
    I managed to find all of the original gauges, fuel and amp but still need a needle for the speedometer. I am adding signals and converting to 12 volts with a generator which I will modify to look fairly stock. Wiring harness is a reman original style cloth version.
    Tank will remain under the original seats which I will modify to get my line of sight thru the windshield.
    Wheels are 35 wires and have Firestone 5.50`s and 7.00`s, respectively front and rear.
    Springs are out and preparing to reverse the eyes. NOS shackle bolts are en route as well and looking at dropping the axle in the future.
    I am researching juice brakes and looking for a decent set of 39-42 front and rear backing plates.
    Also looking for a 39 and up trans for the gears to swap into the 32 case.
    Plan on leaving the fenders in place at this time as well.
    Body is fair and no plans to make it shiny. Box is rough, but as all pickups, was used and abused through out its life. Fenders are dented, filled, rusty etc but fits the theme I am looking to achieve.
    Staying with wooden floor boards and will either make them, find a discarded pair or buy the remans.

IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0428.JPG

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You have a hell of a foundation to start with.
    Great ideas. Keep us posted.
    Are you bobbing the bed?

3. banjorear

banjorear

4. Stock length bed with no plans to alter.

5. Broke off 3 of the head studs and 2 more to remove so need to deal with that as well.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Heat the remaining studs up well and add wax. The wax will seep around the frozen threads. I've had good results.
    Instead of an off the shelf penetrant, use a mix of gas and tranny fluid. Best stuff ever.

7. Great looking truck!!! Keep shooting us pics!!!

8. I like where this is headed!

9. Love it! HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Thanks HRP and have admired the truck you had for years.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Thank you,I realize they are two entirely different styles but any deuce pickup trips my trigger! :) HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Awesome Project!

13. Sweet ride. Keep posting
    please.

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

15. Not sure about using gas, maybe diesel or furnace oil with ATF.

16. I actually used a 50/50 mixture of acetone and atf.
    Found this while surfing.

For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there.
    Penetrating Oil- interesting
    This was in one of the Military Vehicle Clubnewsletters

Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
    Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
    bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
    tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
    of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
    This is what they came up with:
    Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluidand 50% acetone appears to beat
    out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

17. Should be a good one

18. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Great project, nice truck.
    Similair concept to this machine I saw at Muscle Car Madness here in NZ a couple of months back:
    DSCN0898.JPG

19. Made up a jig of sorts to reverse the eyes and just need to get a bottle jack.
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  20. Front reversed really nice but found a crack in the rear before starting so now I will have to solve this new problem.
    On a good note, my Winfield head arrived this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  21. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

This should be a good one.

22. Not much of an update but making progress and spending $$$`s.
    Ended up with new springs from Posies, front and rear due to cots associated with getting new main leafs made here in the frozen north.
    Went juice brake hunting this week and now have a loaded set of front/rear 39-42 and a set of front/rear 46-48 backing plates.
    Stripped the mechanicals off the pickup this afternoon and after reading what seems a million posts on how to make it work, have a good visual of what needs to be done.
    My rear drums were changed some time on a brake job and are the right ones for the conversion.
    Just need to find some front hubs/drums. I will probably swap out the wheel cylinders as well.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Pulling up a chair.........

24. I like this, going to be one cool truck/Hot Rod when you get done.

25. willymakeit

willymakeit

I'm liking this. Looking forward to more.

26. I like this a BIG bunch. Burns intake and Winfield head on a real nice stock truck.

Doesn't get much better than that.

And I've been reversing spring eyes with a hand sledge and anvil!!!!!!!!!!

27. Not much to report and still gathering/awaiting parts.

28. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Love the pickup and the plans that you have for it.