Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another deer in the headlights....actually just below them.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bop, Aug 19, 2014.

1. b-bop

b-bop

I have always warned my wife and daughters about the Bambi hour. Just before sunset, these stupid creatures seem to think it is time to play chicken with everything that comes down the road. After 40 years of avoiding these suicidal maniacs, one finally got me. On the way to B'ville last week, 3 hours into my 1 week vacation, this spindle legged fur ball comes flying out of the ditch and body checks the front of my Model A. Within 1/2 a second, I was heading for the ditch. Lucky for me it was not too deep a ditch. Front of the car is a mess, but thank God there was nobody coming from the opposite direction or I would not be writing this story. After a quick look, it looks like he bent the axle which was probably why I got sucked to the left side of
    the road and then into the ditch. Rad is smashed into the fan which carved a hole in the back of it. Fender is done, drivers side headlight is bent. Went over a couple big rocks so will have to get her up on the lift to see what is messed up underneath.

20140807_215546.jpg 20140808_120801.jpg 20140808_005340.jpg

2. Man that sucks...hopefully your insurance won't give you the run around,,heck of a way to start a vacation. HRP

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OOOOW, sorry to see that. Glad everybody is OK.

50scotbolt likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

DANG! What'd it mess up... cause it still looks driveable to me!

6. b-bop

b-bop

Yeah, it looks driveable, but the rad is pushed into the front of the block so the mechanical fan doesn't spin very well. The top of the I-beam is bent back 1 1/2 inches. Does not steer very well. But it should be all fixable.

7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Weather you believe in them or not I run deer whistles on all my cars including the koop from now until spring. I have chrome ones mounted on the chrome super slide spring and they are hardly noticeable. With the advent of urban deer I may start running them year round...................

loudbang likes this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my brother was behind a family that hit a deer so he stopped to see if there was anything he could do. after a few minutes a guy comes walking down the hillside, tells the family to hide the kids, shoots the deer in the head and drags it back up the hill.

no sense in letting it go to waste.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I hate to burst your bubble, but deer whistles don't work. They are useless except for the part where they take money from your pocket when you buy them :D

10. you've got a week off, get it fixed and drive it to work on monday!!

11. damn that sucks! sorry bro

12. Sorry to hear that just glad no one (human) was hurt. I can relate hit a racoon a few years back headin to LA Roadsters. Grundy came thru just fine. Hope you have the same outcome.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I always thought they didn't work. One of the local companies that has vehicles on the road in some heavily deer traveled areas was averaging over 20 collisions per year. They tried the whistles and averaged under 5 collisions per year for three years. Then they stopped putting them on new vehicles and the collision rate started rising so they put them on everything again and they stay under 5 collisions with deer a year.

loudbang likes this.
  14. camerl2009

camerl2009

with a hit like that the deer must of not came out too well did you make sure it was dead or did it run off. around here they seem to be cleaned up quick no one likes to waste them ;)

15. Man that sucks Barry......where were you at when that happened? Are you stranded somewhere?
    Hope you get it back on the road soon!

16. williebill

williebill

This is a huge problem now. In my area, it used to be unusual to see them except occasionally at night. If I walk outside right now, chances are I'll see 2-5 of the stupid deer some where in the street, yard, or the neighbors yard. We've got coyotes here now, but they're getting fat and lazy picking off the easy ones, and the deer bred faster than the predators can kill and eat them.

17. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

18. Squablow

Squablow

That stinks, glad to see it's fixable and that no one was hurt, hope it doesn't totally ruin your vacation. Cars have insurance and get fixed every day but you can never get that lost time back.

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Boy, it IS the season, huh? I just punted one with the family truckster coming home from ZZ top. Minimal damage to us but I'll bet that big ol' buck is gonna need hip replacement!
    B-Bop, glad no one was hurt. That's a nice Model A, hope it's back on the road soon.

20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

After watching my friend t bone a deer and total his 37 [I was right behind in my 40] I have deer whistles on every vehicle I own. Haven't seen a deer in the road since. Of course never saw many before the whistles, but anything to lessen the chances is good.

21. b-bop

b-bop

This happened about a week ago. Yeah Scott, I got a tow all the way home. Was on hwy 93 about 10 miles north of Eureka.
    camerl2009, no he didn't run off. I parted him out pretty good. The cop that showed up to check out the scene, said he had never seen a deer so precisely cut up on an impact. Almost looked like surgery. His lung was sitting on the center line, in one piece like it was cut out of his chest with a scalpel. His intestines and gut were in a separate pile about 30 feet down the road.
    Working with the insurance company, hope that does not turn into a gong show.

22. camerl2009

camerl2009

that must have been one heck of a hit to do all that

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

b-bob I enjoyed our visit at the Motel gig in Spokane! That is one fine Model A you have there! Hope you get it fixed up soon and get back on the road. Thanks for posting the pictures.

24. b-bop, I nailed one this past Saturday, posted a thread about it, but it got deleted. I guess the powers at be, don't like my door handle! I was more lucky than you, only damage is the front fender and passenger door. I've got the door replaced with a spare I had. I have to get it on the road for Frog Follies this coming weekend, so I'm doing a quick-n-dirty on it. I don't carry comprehensive insurance so the repairs are on my nickle. The only cash outlay will be a new door window and a shot of primer.
    Good luck with your insurance

25. I saw one that was hit recently on one of our bay bridges.. what a mess! The blood stain has been on the road for a few weeks now. They can absolutely total out a modern car without trying.

26. I became a deer proctologist a couple of years back driving a O/T high dollar hot rod truck. Listened to my supervisor cry about that for two weeks. Still have the grille hanging in my garage at home as a memento.

27. I almost got me one down in Virginia this past weekend too. It was DAMN close! Glad everyone came out OK.

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Deer are a ral problem here in GA also. Just a few days ago I was out for a ride in my roadster and was on a fairly well traveled road on the edge of town at least 2 hrs. before dark and there was a doe grzing on the shoulder of the road.
    This road skirts a densely wooded wetland and leads to an exclusive "country club" subdivision and golf course and is a favorite spot for the local cops and their radar/ lasers, so I was at the 35mph speed limit when I saw her and slowed to a crawl as I passed her. She briefly raised her head, and then resumed grazing. I have fairly loud pipes, so I guess she knew I was coming and I didn't startle her.
    Interesting story about the fleet of vehicles and deer whisles. I just may take a look at them next time I'm in the parts store.

29. Muttley

Muttley

Never seen a live one in person but I did have a tasty meal of venison ribs and huckleberry pie while visiting Idaho in '86. It must suck to have to deal with them charging out in front of you while your cruising along minding your own business.

30. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I hit a small deer in the upper peninsula of Michigan with the 31 coming back from the 89 Nats in St Paul. Had a semi on my tail at the same time, hit the shoulder expecting the worse. Luckily it just bounce across the bumper and dislodged the center bumper emblem, no other damage. Got to the next town and there was a 32 Vicki that had a busted up glass front fender and a headlight taken out.