Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Cowl steering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BarryA, Jul 9, 2013.

1. BarryA

BarryA

I am building a one-off bodied roadster and will be running cowl steering.
    Drag link will be parallel horizontally and same length as the hairpins I am running, with either tie-rod ends or rose joints at either end.
    My question is about the pitman arm/steering box output shaft:
    Does it need to run exactly perpindicular to the draglink/chassis centre line, or can I angle it slightly (I am guessing about 8-10 degrees without having measured exactly)?
    I am looking for clearance at the cowl on the rearwards stroke. Simply running a longer output shaft would put my draglink outboard of the hairpin vertically, which is only really a visual/aesthetic consideration but I would like to keep it looking tidy.
    I know it is probably not ideal, but would it significantly compromise anything?
    Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

I would be interested in hearing about this as well as I was considering run a cowlsteer setup myself

3. BarryA

BarryA

just a nudge for the morning crowd....

4. oj

oj

I would think the sector shaft has to run true to the axle else the pitman arm arc wouldn't be concentric. The pitman would run from inside to outside as it went thru the arc. Some guys put a 'pocket' in the sheetmetal, check 'Stripers' modified; i am going to heat and do a slight offset in mine althouh i may still do a pocket.