Register now to get rid of these ads!

another c4 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shocker998md, Dec 7, 2010.

1. shocker998md

shocker998md

alright ive looked all through my shop manual and I cannot find the answer to this. On my c4 I pulled the dipstick tube out so that it wasnt in the way when i dropped in the motor and tranny. When I pulled it out there looked to be red RTV smeared all around it to seal it. Should it be RTV'd? I thought theres a rubber o-ring that goes around the bottom of the tube.

I know this is a dumb question, but maybe i overlooked it in the shop manual but I didnt see a break down of a c4 where it showed the dipstick and the dipstick tube.

2. 61falcon

61falcon

should just be an o ring. it was probably leaking at one time and someone used rtv to try and seal it. take the tube to any decent parts store and get a replacement o ring. it should be a standard size.

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Yup O ring, should be able to put in a nice fresh one and good, may want to check the seat part at the trans and the tube for paint or crud, the other guy either had debris in there or tried to reuse an old ring. Most o rings should be used as single installation, they flatten out.

4. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

Mine has an o'ring but i did put a smear of sealant around the new o'ring when i fitted it hold it in place to stop it falling off when i fitted the tube.
    The old o'rings go hard and stop sealing, most likely the guy didn't have one to match and just used sealant.

5. shocker998md

shocker998md

sweet, ill pick one up tomorrow