Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. Under seat, passenger side. Defroster is under the dash behind the glove box. Fresh air vent, bottom pull knob passenger side, bypasses the defroster core when pulled. Push it in and pull defrost knob directs fresh air through the defroster core. Twist the defroster knob to turn on the defroster blower.

Ben

2. Thanks Ben! Now I know how to control it. And, it seems to work pretty good. :)

3. Speaking of controlling stuff...I would be willing to bet there is an owners manual in the glove box if I could just get it open. Not sure if the button is stuck or what, but doesn’t seem to matter what position the key is in to “unlock” it, the button won’t depress to let me in (at least easily so far). :( I just need to try harder. I have been wondering what all treasures might be in there anyway. :rolleyes:

bchctybob, e1956v, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  4. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Im pretty sure all models got the heater under the front seat, my Super got it there.

guthriesmith likes this.
  5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The Buick wheel cover pictured is off a 52, really popular with the custom car guys.

6. Any chance that you can maybe unscrew the hinge at the bottom edge of the dash? Do you have two seperate keys for the ignition and the doors? Have you tried both keys in the glove box? Try spraying a shot of penentrant in the lock cylinder and working the key in and out repeatedely over the course of a few days.

7. SS327

SS327

If I remember right we used to have to wack ours pretty hard to open it.

8. Budget36

Budget36

This is a family forum;)

9. Woohoo! Bob got me all the way to work this morning! :cool: I never really doubted it, but it wouldn't be the first time I ended up on the side of the road trying to get to work in an old car either if I didn't make it. Thankfully, there are several guys that come in later than me that can pick me up on the way if needed. :D

And, as a reminder, this is the town that the car was ordered new in at the local dealer and lived it's whole life until I got it. The first pics in this thread were in this same town.

IMG_5707[1].JPG IMG_5712[1].JPG

10. Nice when you take an OLD car in to work. I took mine in quite a bit even on one 3 degree morning. I took great pains to make sure my heater was 100%. I pressure tested the core when I had the dash out of it. It looked brand new when I took it out.

Okie Pete, Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.
  11. Rand Man

Rand Man

Looks like fun.

Okie Pete and guthriesmith like this.
  12. So, for those of you all that either currently have or have had one of these straight 8 Buicks, shouldn't I expect it to do pretty good on the road? Seems it is pretty down on power to me losing up to 10 mph (70 down to 60) climbing some slight hills. I still haven't tried to do any tune up work on the car, but I would expect it to have more power? I know my 56 Ford has no issue at all keeping speed pretty much no matter the terrain. Anyway, just wondering before I jump in and tune it up and am then surprised that it still seems pretty sluggish.

And, a pic in the work parking lot showing how the old Buick just fits right in...

IMG_5715[1].JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  13. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Nice for the Buick too be back in her hometown.
    Talking about power, too be completely honest, it's very seldom i run it over 50 mph, I think it runs best around that speed. I prefer driving on the smaller roads and avoiding highways, and speedlimits over 50mph in sweden on smaller roads are very rare.
    Biggest issue on these cars are the Dynaflow, it aint much horsepower gettin past that trans, and it's aint much horses compared too the weight and some of the horses are probably gone by now, so that's makes it important too keep a good tuneup in the car, pointgap and timing can make wonders.

bchctybob, Okie Pete and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Thanks! I will do some tuning on the car and see what happens. I also noticed some trash in a fuel filter when I replaced it down by the fuel tank, so am thinking I need to check the new one again. I may just be restricting fuel flow. If I see trash again, I will consider pulling the tank and getting it cleaned out. Anyway, I'll get it figured out and will be sure to drive it within it's capabilities.

15. I don't recall now, but have you run a compression test on all cylinders? Have you checked the manifold vacuum at idle as well as while driving? Watching the vacuum gauge while driving can be a real education in itself.

Your engine isn't the biggest of the Straight 8's, is it? In that case keeping it in a sharp state of tune could make a big difference. Make sure the distributor's mechanical advance is working smoothly. And a failed vacuum advance could make things a bit sluggish at cruising speeds. And start out with the initial timing set to factory specs. Resist the urge to set your timing "by ear", at least initially. Feel free to make some fine-tuning adjustments after you're sure that everything is working properly with the factory settings.

If you have an automatic choke it would be worth the effort to make sure it's working as intended. Make sure the choke valve works freely thru its full range and that it's fully open when the engine is at operating temperature. I have no real idea what kind of fuel mileage you might expect from one of these beasts. But getting it all in the right state of tune is going to make things better, not worse.

16. Lots of good questions that I need to check. I haven’t done much yet other than make it run and drive. :D

Oh, and made it back home fine and took the more scenic route. :)

CA69BAE6-1E31-4E0F-9B68-11A32A4416B0.jpeg

17. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

My '53 Special has the 263, which is close enough to your 248. I usually don't drive faster than 60-65 with it on the freeway, but it will do 80+ if I want it to without much strain. I'd be looking at the basics.

guthriesmith and Okie Pete like this.
  18. SS327

SS327

Stepping on the long skinny pedal was like stepping on a giant pile of dog poop, just kind of mushy. I always blamed it on the Dynaflow. If it was a 3 speed car it would be a different animal.
    You really doubted the Buick? Your going to have to get over that. It’s not a Ford product you know.

19. SS327

SS327

A lot of guys and some girls have wacked theirs also on the forums. It’s how you get things done sometimes.

Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.

20. RIGHT ON!! LOL

Ben

SS327 and guthriesmith like this.
  21. Took another video on the trip home yesterday. I have about a 30 minute drive home if I take the interstate. But, some days it is much more relaxing to spend a few more minutes and take the old two lane highway on the way home. I typically ride a Harley back and forth to work and this is always the road I take on it. Anyway, if you make it to the end of the video, you will also notice the location just north of the town I live in where street racing has happened since the 60's up until today... :rolleyes: I didn't stop to run the Buick through. I'll wait until I get it tuned up better. :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    charleyw, jaracer, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  22. The funny part about this comment is that I have been a GM guy my whole life. My dad worked for GM for 28 years before retirement, by brother currently works for them and has for over 20 years, and I worked for them for a while. They literally fed me as a kid I suppose. Anyway, my 56 Ford was pretty much the first old Ford I owned that I actually drove much. And, strangely enough it has been pretty dang reliable too. :rolleyes: So, I trusted the Buick more than I might have led on... :D

23. SS327

SS327

Ok, then I guess your all right. My dads cousin worked at the Oklahoma City plant building Buicks. I worked at a Buick dealership wrenching but through our zone rep tested some new features and helped write service bulletins and recall repairs. A long time ago.

Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  24. No kidding...small world. When I worked for GM back in the mid-90's, it was building Buick's and Oldsmobile's at the Oklahoma City plant. My brother is in Detroit, and my dad worked in a few plants including a foundry in Danville, IL, and assembly plants in Arlington, TX, Oklahoma City, and Detroit.

25. SS327

SS327

My dads cousin if he saw that a car was coming to our dealership he would leave me a note in the back bumper letting me know how the family was doing and such. His name was David Soltis.

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Thanķs for that trip home, such nice road, perfect "cruising home Buick road"

guthriesmith likes this.
  27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

When they rebuilt I-30 through Arlington, they added this concrete mural at the westbound exit to Center St. :cool:

I thought you might appreciate it...

upload_2022-10-21_10-52-47.png

28. That’s cool! I guess I haven’t seen that yet! Thanks!

29. I had a big run of Fords, Galaxies, Falcons, Fairlanes, Mustangs. And a Mercury Cougar. The '59 was my 1st Ford since 1979, 35 years with no Ford in the stable.

SS327, Okie Pete and guthriesmith like this.
  30. You and Bob are having too much fun!!

Ben

Okie Pete, Acres and guthriesmith like this.