Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another Barris Kustom gets restored 1940 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, May 8, 2010.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks for posting that photo of the car in all white. I had never seen it with-out the graphics. Yeah it looks much better in blue.. and I agree the first version looks much better than the one with the quad headlights.
    But the later version is much better known, and the work was done by Barris... would be very hard to remove the Barris (possibly Sam's handy work) and recreate the first version.

There is a "clone" of it as well... Here is a photo of the clone from the Barry Mazza Collection. Perhaps that one can be found.. and rebuilt into the first version, and then they can go on tour together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the update, good to finally see some photos from the restoration

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno, some people are easily lead.
    [​IMG]

Started this model a few years ago after lusting after the 40 in AG for many years.
    Doc.

4. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Always nice to see things like this appear. Cant wait to see it done.

5. Crease

Crease

Rikster, If Ed calls and says "hey, what does Crease think of my 40", please tell him the quad headlights have gotta go. They ruin the whole thing for me. Im sure he will be interested in and appreciate my opinion. :)

It's 2 fewer heeadlights away from perfection in my opinion, but everyone has different tastes.

6. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I like the early single-headlight version better--but I also think the early quad-headlight version is cool, too.

Plus, I think it's interesting how everything evolved, and I think it would be cool to have the quad-headlight version restored because--somehow--I feel like there's a lot of early-style cars out there. (Maybe it's just me.)

I'm really torn lately, on the subject of re-imagining my '49 Club Coupe as a late-'50s shoebox: I have some great ideas for it, but I just don't think I can do it right now; I like the early stuff too much.

7. autobilly

autobilly

Same here! I wondered about that coup every time I watch it cruise by in AG.

8. Me too.

9. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

the white version in AG got me into lovin 40s. Hadnt seen the front till now, I would have done it with 2 headlights, but what the hell do I know.

10. Thanks Rik for the update, I like the quads on this car, they just look right with the chop and the scallops, the blue is a good color for this one, another one saved!
    cw.

11. Rikster

Rikster

It has been over two years ago since I last heard any news about this restoration.

But last week I received some news about this car. It was going to be picked up by the owner Ed Hagerty from the guy who has done a lot of work on the restoration. The guy who did his part of the restoration had it in blue primer and added some light gray primer scallops just for fun. The car was put back together, but as the photos show its far from completely restored.
    It will be dissembled by another shop chosen by Ed and then finished the way we know it from the November 1958 Car Craft cover. So still a few month for completion... but they are getting there.
    These photos where taken the day that Ed picked it up to take it to the new shop that will finish the restoration.
    Thanks to Bill Moser for the spy photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Floater03, Too Tall and Stogy like this.
  12. That front is so tough with the shave & quads..

13. zep058

zep058

Well thats quite alot different than I was thinking. It's...it's so....blue!?

14. zep058

zep058

And not in a good way

15. Rikster

Rikster

Primer!!! as mentioned

16. zep058

zep058

Dont get me wrong, I was so excited to see an update after two years, it was just a shock is all. I'm looking forward to the next stages!

17. Thanks for the update Rik!

18. XERB

XERB

Great thread, cool 40...fan of the white/purple guise but not really a fan of the quads but do appreciate its all up to the owners individual taste and of course the historic custom value of having them...great read anyway, thanks.

19. sub006

sub006

I like fat fenders and other pre-'58s with quads, but CANTED usually looks best IMO.

20. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

21. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Anybody have current pictures of this car?

Stogy likes this.
  22. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

23. Eh-Bone

Eh-Bone

Hey Rikster,
    Do you know, or are you able to get a hold of all the window dimensions or BETTER YET some pics also of the inside of that kickass coupes roof so I could see the cut lines!
    I hit rewind every time I still see that 40’on American Graffiti to this day! I never knew or could find any info on it...THANKS for at least getting me to this point. I personally like the single headlights thou..and think that 40’ has the same sweet curves as a nicely build woman! Had a project 40’ a bunch of years back and one day I will have me a coupe again!!! Muhahaha

24. RockaRolla1998

RockaRolla1998

This car is just gorgeous, and the headlights really bring an already groovy piece of machinery to the next level.

25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool! This post slipped by me, you got my attention..

26. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Awesome to see the car getting a make over and back out in the sunlight and on the road!

27. showrod

showrod

I wound up with the kustom dashboard from the clone. Have offered it for sale in the classifieds here in the past. I remember it had an early caddy engine
    And wore Barris crests was painted red and the new owner had tweed upholstery installed. Yuck!
    image.jpg

28. fortynut

fortynut

The quad headlights really make this car stand out --- and look like cow's udders on a bullfrog. My second car was a Forty Ford that was channeled over the frame, with reversed eyes on the springs. It sat just right. Most Forty chops spoil the lines. You know Sam did this one. No matter what he touched, it was always perfect. Just like this one is. Paint it any color and put scallops, flames, or a pack of monkeys chasing an organ grinder, but ditch the goggle eyes, and I can live with it. They destroy the flow. And, no one can say the designer didn't make the lines on Forties flow from the git-go. 'Nuff said.

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Enough hatin' on the quads, already. Let's just enjoy the ride! Carry on with the restoration pics! :)

williebill and 'Mo like this.