Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Barn find.. Little Christmas present to myself.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, Dec 24, 2012.

1. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 57 Ford had the short wheelbase Customs (Custom and Custom 300) and the long wheelbase Fairlanes (Fairlane and Fairlane 500). The overall length of the Fairlanes was close to a foot longer than the Customs plus the fins were about 1-1/2" taller. The attached two tone pic shows the chrome of the various models. While the Fairlane was the cheaper alternative to the 500, it was probably still considered higher than the Custom 300.
    In any case cool car!

Attached Files:

2. redroaddog

redroaddog

not cool? way cool !!!!!!!! merry christmas:D

3. slammed

slammed

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Subscribed. I wanna see it cleaned up and running.

5. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's sweet!! Merry Christmas.

6. 34Flatty

34Flatty

that is a super cool car...don't let anyone "including yourself" tell you otherwise. Looking forward to seeing updates on this one.

7. Cool story and cool find! I still like those more doors.

8. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Exactly what i plan on doing. Its worked wonders on my OT mustang.

And I'll keep this thread updated for sure, glad to see theres some interest in it. All the thumbs up, waves, and just stares on the way back home was so cool.

Also, thanks for the links Texas57, lots of great info on there!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Save that car for sure. 57 Fords are not seen very often these days, not sure where all of them went, but 57-59's are pretty uncommon now.

Good score with a great history.

Don

10. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

My first car was a two year old '57 two door hardtop Fairlane (not 500). I haven't seen one like it since. It had the 312" motor and three on the tree. The previous owner had painted it Sierra Gold (Chev. color) and had the seats redone in TJ in white and matching bronze tuck and roll. I wore out the motor in less than 50,000 hard cruising (and racing) miles. I WISH I STILL HAD IT!!! Shit, I wish I had even a picture of it!!!!

11. fxcomet

fxcomet

Another one saved! One family owned, too! Good for you!

12. Especially knowing that Ford outsold Chevy in 1957! :)

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

So what does the rest of your data plate say? Your VIN IDs the car as a '57 Town Sedan with a 292 2-bbl built in the Dallas, Texas Ford plant. The rest of the data plate info gives you the color, trim, production date, transmission and axle ratio. If that's the factory paint job the color code would be CC for single-tone Dresden Blue.

14. Sweet 57, and four doors are killer, especially 50's cruisers.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Always loved the .57 Fords, and I have a related "shoulda bought it"story to tell yall:
    In Fall 1959 I was making "Big Money" @ the ATL Fisher Body @ Lakewood Fisher/Chev.plant, had been there almost a year. Time to buy some cool wheels! Banker and my folks very friendly, so credit no problemo!
    Local lot had Black Fairlane 500, Cruiser skirts, Connie kit, and Yankee mirrors, clean as a pin. The "Tbird Special" 312 4 bbl was harnessed by a T85 BW trans with overdrive, and told you all about it thru twin glasspacks. I wanted it bad!
    But the damn salesman pissed me off with an insult that he was too stupid to realize was an insult, during price negotiations and I walked out on him and the car.
    Had planned on coming back and trying to deal with lot owner, but in the meantime I ran up on a cheaper, but super clean '53 and bought it for enough less that I could pay cash for it.
    The '57 was bought by another Fisher employee and eventually we wound up in a carpool together and I rode to work and back in that car.
    Wished ever since that I had gone back and bought that car, and this thread has got me mentally kicking my own ass again about it!

16. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

58a c e 19n 2072b

17. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

Remember it only has to be cool to one person,You.I get so tired of others telling me whats cool,or right.You make a plan as what you want from it and then do it,and as long as it puts a smile on your face,you did it right.

18. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

Gay, can you make those into a 2 door?

19. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

I was thinking of making it a 6 door limo! ;)

20. Great find. 57 Fords have super lines. Great story, makes the car that much more valuable to you. Keep us posted with up dates.

21. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Is it a 4 dr post, if so the post seems to be chrome plated. I'll bet it cleans up and the engine will need minimal attention. I know you are excited, I would be.

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Vintage is vintage. Love your story and looking forward to a bunch more cool pics!

23. WQ59B

WQ59B

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

the chrome posts threw me off thinking it was a hardtop ,good find.more pics

25. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Sweet car congrats
    Andy

26. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Any car with a family story is cool in my book. Clean it up, fix it, drive it.

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sweet !!!!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. jaco

jaco

What do you mean not cool? That's bad ass. Love the story. Can't wait to see pics of it washed. What's the hold up. I mean I know it's Christmas but come on.

29. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Really nice car and there aint nothingwrong with a 4-door :)

30. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Neat car, great history!! The base Fairlane is about my favorite! My hardtop spent 40 years in a shed just a few miles from my place, kid went to 'Nam in '69, didn't come home. Maybe we should start a new thread on cars and their history!!