Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Barn find.. Little Christmas present to myself.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, Dec 24, 2012.

1. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

I'm super excited to share this car with ya'll, even though ya'll probably won't think it's nearly as cool as I do, lol. I guess this will be a little build thread for this car.

It all started a little over a year ago when my grandpa had told me about this fairlane that had been in a barn for years. He didn't really remember much about it, but just knew they were wanting to sell it. I asked to go look at it, but didn't hear anything more.

So Saturday morning we're heading up to his house again for Christmas. I had the intentions of buying a car in DFW and driving it back home, but i got a call from him saying how i need to buy this car, etc etc so I said alright lets go look at it.

Long story short we end up at the barn that it's in, and this is what i see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So at this point I'm think that it's a hell of a cool 4 door, but it's been sitting in this barn since the 70's needs alot more work than I really want to do...

Then my grandpa starts telling me about the history of the car. It was originally bought by my Great Great Great(yes 3..) Aunt, and she drove it until she passed away. Then they sold it my third cousin. My grandpa and him used to go around town drinking and causing trouble in the car, then in the 70's it was put up in this barn. But he would continue to come out to the barn and just tinker with stuff and they said he even let the car just run in there, but he passed away last summer. So I made up my mind that i had to buy this car. So we struck up a deal and agreed to have the car out the next day

Getting it out of the barn was a hell of alot easier said than done. The door to get the car out was all boarded up and we had to take down one little section of fence just to get it out.

Barn door open for the first time since the 70's
    [​IMG]

First time she's seen daylight in god knows how long
    [​IMG]

one of the few times it's going to be on a trailer
    [​IMG]

So that's the story of my barn find. I know it's not some super cool car, but the story behind it is way too cool so I just had to share it. Being that this car has been in my family since it was new I'm just super excited about being able to give it a new lease on life. I'll post up some pictures of interior and engine bay here in a little. Believe the engine is a 292 backed by a Ford-o-matic. As much as i don't want to, i'm going to go wash it off here in a little so there will be some of it cleaned up :D

Also, could someone shed some light on the trim on this car? I've only seen a few pictures of this trim on fairlanes, but i can't find any info on it. Thanks.

2. jreeder41

jreeder41

3. TinShed

TinShed

Congrats neat find and story!

4. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I was going to tease you about the dust possibly being radioactive, but with the family history, it's good to see you got it. Try to get some more stories out of your Grandfather.

5. congrats, cool find.

6. I like it....and as long as you like....thats all that counts!! Congrats

Might be kinda rare with that trim package?

Having it in the same family all these years....Priceless!

Murph

Side Trim....According to my reference books. That unique trim was only offered on the mid-level Fairlanes. Your car is a Town Sedan.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  7. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

The trim pegs it as a regular Fairlane, one notch below the Fairlane 500. Yours is a Town Sedan. Is the paint original? Most of the ones I've seen were two-toned; the data plate in the driver's door jamb will have the paint codes.

Happy holidays and happy motoring!

8. teejay99

teejay99

The side trim kinda threw me ..thought for a second you had the Canadian 57 Meteor ....nice score !

T

9. nice love the 57 fords congrats

10. 2935ford

2935ford

I like those models with that side trim.....nice score!

11. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

kool old cruiser.......

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

being a 4dr hard top,it may be a little scarce.good find

13. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

gonna be a nice ride, congrats

14. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Thanks guys, yes it's all original. One thing I forgot to mention, it has power steering, which seems kinda weird seeing as ya'll are saying the trim is the lower model.

15. pastlane

pastlane

Congrat on your new ride. Merry Christmas!

16. good luck with the new ride, merry christmas.....

17. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Nice 4 door pillared sedan, The 57 Ford out sold Chev for the Production year, Chev was no longer USA 1 that year

18. Fenders

Fenders

"...so that's the story of my barn find. I know it's not some super cool car...."

You are wrong -- it is cool.
    I had a 57 fifty years ago and recognised the back of the car, but never seen that side trim before. Interesting.

19. b-bob

b-bob

I think it's a cool car, and the story is too. Looks like it may shine right up with a bit of cut-polish and a good cleaning.

I see it with whites and full caps of some kind, enjoy it.

20. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

Very cool. Your turn to add some more family history to it, then pass it on to a younger generation somewhere down the line.

I'd buff out the paint, polish the chrome, and only fix what needs to be done to make it reliable. Then I'd drive it everywhere.

Again, very cool!

(And look through all those hubcaps hanging up in that barn for a decent set.)

21. b-bob

b-bob

That trim was common on Canadian cars i believe, maybe on the Meteors.

Meteors i think were sold at Mercury dealers. They had more fancy trim.

22. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Really cool car Flip .I can't wait to see more pictures.

23. tjmercury

tjmercury

Prosperity and keeping family history alive is all that matters, cool find, enjoy it!!!

24. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

That's the plan. Get the paint and chrome shiny again, throw some wide whites on it, and get it drive-able, and go crusing with my Grandpa and brother in it!

Could someone maybe decode the vin for me? Really wondering what motor it has. Vin is C7DT140958. Thanks & merry Christmas

25. I like the 4 doors. As we get older and take friends with us it makes the back seat alot easier to get in. I just bought a 1964 Galaxie 500XL 4 Door. So have fun with it.
    Mark

26. It's not that uncommon in '50s cars to see a low end car with high end accessories. I had a '59 Olds Dynamic 88 years ago that was the lowest end 4-door but had factory air.

Someone around here has a 2-door like that that's red with white top, deck lid and side cove. Looks sharp that way.

And 4-doors are fun to just jump in, drive and enjoy, I had one for a driver for a couple years myself (Pontiac) -

27. Your car brings back alot of memories for me. Growing up my Dad bought a brand new, two tone, red/white 1957 Meteor Rideau 4 dr.
    It also had that massive rear bumper!:cool:
    Subscribed!

28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Damn cool car, great story, nice save!

29. Hell of a find..looks to be real solid. There is tons of info available for '57 fords. It is the only car I know of that has that one year and one make having not one, but two websites devoted to it. www.1957ford.com is a great source for pics of all the '57 Ford models, specs, and pre-posted info. www.57fordsforever.com (at this moment the website is down for upgrading...if it doesn't open when you click on forumn, check tommorrow)has hunderds of '57 Ford owners worldwide, and an active FRIENDLY forumn. If you have a question, you'll find the answer there. If I can be of any help contact me.
    Rich