Register now to get rid of these ads!

another baby hemi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt, Feb 16, 2007.

1. dirt

dirt
    from norco, CA

i have what my dad told me was a 55 dodge red ram 270. i ran the numbers on the block and the block is a 56 plymouth poly 270. it does have hemi heads on it with the red ram covers. i have heard that some of poly motors were converted to hemi's. does any have any info on the convertion? is it just a head change or is there more to it? i dont have it here right now to run the head numbers(if there are any) to see what they are off of.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I believe I read the other day that is it just a head change. Good for you!

3. George

George

You have to change the total head assembly & the pistons. The valve reliefs are in a different location on a hemi, if valve lift is low enough you might get away with out changing them, maybe....

4. dirt

dirt
    from norco, CA

thanks for the info. a couple more questions. was this a common swap? is there any reason to use the poly block vs the hemi block?

5. George

George

Yes, it's common. People change them to Hemi because they can. Any Poly built on a Hemi block can be done, later ones like the 318 can't. There is no "advantage", in some cases there are push rod clearance problems. The Poly would have been a great & respected engine if the Hemi hadn't existed, but it does, so the Poly is the neglected step child.

6. George

George

It is common. There is no advantage, & sometimes there are push rod clearance problems.

7. dirt

dirt
    from norco, CA

thanks for clearing it up for me george.

8. there is one advantage- the engine mounts-
    the 55 270 Dodges had the horseshoe mount on the front of the engine, all the '56 polys had side of block bolt bosses for side mounts.
    many feel that the side mounts are easier to adapt into other cars, and that they handle torque better.

9. dirt

dirt
    from norco, CA

that does make sense. thanks