Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Av8 build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 19, 2012.

1. :eek: man I had NO idea!!!! I easily have at least two full sets of nice ones..... maybe I should sell them haha! anyone want to trade a set of wires for some steelies? haha

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Put up an ad and see who bites! Boxing them is a chore if you can't find boxes big enough for them.. I hit up this shop in town that likes to build those lifted diesel trucks with huge wheels and get boxes from them. Especially the ones that they shipped wheels in..

I had two American Racing box that were apparently for like 18x10 wheels or something so I was able to fit two in each with plenty of packing and ship in.

No clue on what the other year wires are worth but the '35 16"s bring some good money you can put towards the A. Even more if they're Kesley-Hayes bent spokes.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. haha right now I have one kelsey..... I have another in cali though!

4. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Great build, I think the dirt trackers look great but I think there twice as much? I don't know if there a better running tire or not?

5. thanks coopsdaddy! yeah they are kinda pricey..... although I think the ribbed fronts are about the same price as the deluxe champion fronts.

6. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

The lil's are 5.00/5.25x16s for those 16x4" skinny ass fronts and the bigs are 7.50x16s for those awesome 16x5" wide early ford truck rims that go on the rear...

Attached Files:

7. what do you guys think of wide fives? I don't have any and I guess I have to switch out my drums..... but I like them!

8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

I run wide-fives on my '29 roadster, mostly cause I got a great deal on them with drums back when I built my car. I think they are relatively unique (not saying rare, just unique!), compared to the '40 and up smoothies. They made some pretty cool caps for them back in the day as well. Lincoln Zephyr's for instance.

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Love them! I was originally going to find a set and run them but couldn't find a decent set for a decent price, so I went with the '40-'48 wheels.

10. Well I have been so busy this last month I've barely been able to work on the car! We're moving back to California in less than a month, Nevada City this time though(about 45min east of Sacrimento)......... But I have been able to get a little bit done on the coupe..... The rear quarters have been hung again, hopefully for the last time.... and I started chopping the drivers side door. The reason the roof is off is that I found out that one side had a completely different contour than the other side.... only thing I can think of is maybe it was a stamping defect? Or maybe an old repair? Anyway so now I need to make them the same or replace them..... BUMMER

kinda looks like a sport coupe huh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Who knows what type of repair was done to the car in the past. Its not like we can drive out in the boonies and find a parts car huh? I'm guessing you're taking the car back to the mainland?

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I see more incentive to go and make a hot rod version of a B400 coupe.

13. Yeah We're gonna take it back over there.... I feel like I might be able to get it together quicker over there, I'm jonesing to drive this thing!

Haha well..... for this car I might just stick with it being a regular coupe......on that note, I think I'm gonna start assembling the roof today.
    But if I did ever get my hands on a B400, there's no doubt I would hotrod it....(to some extent at least).... I think I'm gonna hold out for a 3w!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm glad you're gonna take it back the mainland, parts shouldn't be too hard to come by when you get there. I lived for while in San Ramon, just north of Pleasanton and was always amazed at the stuff that showed up at the Goodguys shows in Dublin. Keep your posts going, I'm sure there are lots of us HAMBers who want to see you succeed in bringing this old girl back to life. Eli

15. Well its been a while....... And nothing has really gotten done on the car....... But both me and my coupe officially California residents!!! The container arrived yesterday, and tomorrow we're gonna unload it!!!

Heres a quick photoshop of my coupe with the the chop finished..... And I'm hoping to actually get some work done SOON!!!

<a href="http://s1061.beta.photobucket.com/user/skatermann/media/model%20A%20coupe%20build/coupecopy2_zps6850ff2b.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Glad to hear you're gonna be getting back to work on the car. One things' for sure, you probably couldn't be in a better place to find parts for your car. A heck of a lot cheaper there than over here too! lol

17. WyKev

WyKev

Nice photochop of the chop! Come on, I know you're working on it, Where's The Pics???? :p

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Keep at it, man!

19. Thanks guys!
    I have actually been working on it a LOT.... I've pinched the frame 5'' at the front crossmember, finished splitting the front bones, switched from a dropped front axle to a '32 heavy..... Then I decided to go spring behind, and I've been working that for the last few days. For the spring I used a reversed eye that was laying around, and the rest of the leaves came from an F1 spring. I made a spacer from 1/2'' flat stock that I drilled and tapped to replace the nut on the bottom of the spring...... The frontend is finally mounted for real!
    The next thing on the chassis is a little bit of finish welding, motor mounts, and then shorten the torque tube...... Oh yeah and I found a guy locally to machine my flathead...... And found he's done a bunch of flattys for Don Orosco(who restored my favorite ever hot rod, the Pierson Bros '34 coupe!)
    Oh and I bought tires!!! 550-16s and 750-16s and my '35 ford wires are at the sandblaster's!!!!

front crossmember
    [​IMG]

'32 heavy mockup
    [​IMG]

full frontend mockup
    [​IMG]

late night brainstorm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new shop.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Some more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to get the new tires on this thing.... I'm pretty happy with the stance as it is, but with those tall rear tires and shorter fronts its only gonna get sweeter!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Dang, man! You're making me look bad. That frame looks GREAT.

22. thanks matt! I'm gonna see if I can pick up my wheels today......

23. Man that frame is cool, can't wait to see it with its new shoes on!

24. psyclesinc

psyclesinc

Wow Joe, you never stopped by to say Aloha. Nah I hope you the best in all of your endeavors and will want to see that finished coupe on the road soon. Take it easy bro..Aloha!!

25. Hey guys......

I've had a rough last few months...... My coupe sat waiting for me to have time to even look at it. When it was shipped from Hawaii, the body pretty much fell apart from having all my family's possessions stacked on top of it. I was completely overwhelmed by that pile of parts that once was a model a coupe... (remember.... I'm a self taught 17 year old who is the only car guy in the family)
    But I'm back at it, and I'm ready to drive this thing!!! The body is getting pieced back together, and I have a 99R flattie at the machine shop that I'm helping rebuild. My goal is to DRIVE IT to the round-up next year(I've never been).......

Here she is(sorry for the bad pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you haven't lost faith quite yet......

Joe

26. Joe, I was wondering if you fell off the face of the earth!

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Aloha Joe, its good to the hear that your project is still in the works. I'm sure there are quite a few of us rooting for you and looking forward to more updates. Ford No Ka Oi! Eli

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Sub'd some time ago, good to see this thread pop up again! looking good lad!