Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Av8 build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ok question time..... I'm thinking about doing cowl steering(actually its my first choice), but all have steering wise is a F1 box. Would it be sacrilege to modify it for cowl steering?

Thanks,
    Joe

[​IMG]

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Of course not! Do it to it man, lookin great!

3. Thanks man!!! your old roadster is a huge inspiration for me!

4. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

you may want to sell that box or save and go with a mid 50's truck box instead it has a much longer sector shaft.that's what i used in my sedan.[​IMG]

5. is that a mid fifty's ford truck box?

6. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

No! Chop-chop.

8. yeah I think I'm just gonna use the f1.... because I have it.
    I have a couple of ideas for the steering setup, so stay tuned!
    Joe

9. Hey David your build is looking good.Never see you at the cruise

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Oh, yeah.. Not sure if you saw it or if it's up here, but there's a Weesner painting of a roadster with a V-butt windshield. Made me think of your build.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. I found that drawing and whoa!!!! Its like exactly what I was thinking!!! The whole front end matches perfectly with what I had in mind.... the track nose, the louvered hood with lunch box latches, chrome cowl-steering....... oh and the paint!!!!!! ooh la la!
    All in all I think that windshield looks good, although different(in a good way).

12. Well I've been brainstorming on the steering setup, and I was gonna finally make some actual material progress....... and then I ran out of welding wire.
    So I here's a drawing of my overall idea for the inner cowl, there will be more steel structure, the drawing just got crowded. Its kinda hard to tell, but the 90˚ angled piece anchors the passenger side of the steering box....

As soon as I get more welding wire I'm gonna whip this thing out!

Joe

[​IMG]

13. weez

weez

Here's the carson top coupester thingy I did-

It has the bodyline rounded off like yours, so the hood cut can be lower down- I don't know if you're doing a track nose, but it would be hard with the hood cut line in the stock '30-'31 location.

Attached Files:

zapp69 likes this.
  14. Thanks weez!
    I was going back and forth on whether I should a track nose or a '32 shell, but I'm leaning towards the track nose. I'm also planning on having a full hood, with the seam lower down and smooth hood sides, some chromes highlights on the frontend area..... oh and some louvers!

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Speak of the devil.

16. thats one, but theres another one also, a '29...... I'll see if I can find a pic

17. here it is...

Attached Files:

18. Ok update!

I worked on the cowl structure for a while today. It wouldn't have taken so long if I hadn't run out mig wire yesterday, so I had to gas weld everything... which I actually prefer now(its cool to watch the metal kinda just melt together.....)

enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Joe

19. Holey hell that's a lot of holes!:D Its looking great man can't wait to see more!

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Keep at it! You're making me look bad! ;)

21. austinhunt

austinhunt

Texas speed if he is making you look bad, he is making me look like a toddler...

Awesome work!

22. Well since I was born on Feb 29th, you could say I am only 4 years old...... making me little more than a toddler...... haha :rolleyes:

I got to a certain point on the cowl structure, then the next thing in that area was to work out the floor and pedals.... and I want to wait until I have an engine to do that. So instead I did some more work on the chop. I did some welding and finishing... and then made a pattern off the passenger side qtr window, transferred it to ply-wood and cut it out, to match the other side to it.
    Here you go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

At least toddlers have a reason to be unproductive. They can't do much to begin with. ;)

For a 4-year old, you do good work!

24. I worked on the front of the frame a little last night. I decided to bob the frame horns, and run low headlights and a nerf bar. I won't be pinching the frame, so I think having the nerf bar down there and the headlights mounted as close to the frame horns as possible will pretty up the area.
    My welder is at a job site right now, so I have to wait 'til probably tuesday to weld this stuff.

heres the frontend before the redo

[​IMG]

a little trimming....

[​IMG]

more trimming, and heating and bending....

[​IMG]

and then a mockup for a quick look-see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when it comes time to make the nerf bar I may reposition the headlights a little lower.... not sure yet

thanks for watching!

Joe

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I think the headlight looks good where it's at now.. But mocking stuff up doesn't hurt. Can't wait to see how you'll do the nerf bar.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa! Just seeing this... Pretty cool! Keep it up!

27. So I've kinda been having to jump around doing little things, and not being able to finish them... mostly because my welder was at a friends house, and I was waiting on some parts. Well I got my welder back, and my parts arrived...

I'm gonna try to really thrash on the chop now. I've been working on the passenger door window frame, then I can make a pattern for the other side. Once I have the doors done I finish doing the a-pillars and the header panel.
    There's gonna be some more regular updates for a while...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realize the gap on the pillar is a little wonky, but its just because I had loosened the hinge a bit before the photo was taken...

28. Well I got the right side door frame done last night, except the inner stuff and rounding the top corners, which I'll do at a later date. It turned out a little rougher than I had hoped.... but I guess thats the deal with having to teach yourself something.... maybe the next thing to learn is leading haha!
    I'm gonna start on the other side later today, so I might update again tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-joe

29. Felix 40

Felix 40
    from Wisconsin

Great job!!.... just subscribed to your thread