Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Av8 build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Joe,

I just found your build thread! Your dad told me you knew how to work metal, and he wasn't kidding. I can't believe that's the same old coupe body that was sitting around my workshop for so long. Looks just awesome buddy! You've inspired me to get out in the garage and get to work. 5 stars and subscribed! PM me if you need anything!

2. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

wow, what a great thread! Very nice work!

3. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

Looking Good Joe!

you need to get a middle row seat out of a 90's mazda mpv, perfect width and they recline, just take all the sliding bracket crap off the bottom and bolt it to the floor. I've used them in my last couple of Model A builds and I'm the same height as you.

also if your still having trouble figuring out the header panel and your set on the split windshield idea. try finding a 37-47 ford pick-up, there's got to be more than few rotting away on farms and in ditches over there.

4. Hey!!! Thanks!!! Are you still working on that coupster you had? Still doing the pre-war route?

Thanks!

Thank you! Thats sounds like good advice on the seat thing, I'm gonna do that! And I've pretty much just made it a challenge for me to form the whole header from scratch, well because "practice makes perfect", or in my case at least better!

thanks,
    Joe

5. Oh and heres todays progress..... I pretty much woke up this morning with the goal to get the chassis rolling today..... didn't think it was gonna happen, but you never get anything done of you don't try so........ I actually ended up doing more than I planned!
    first thing was to get the tires and wheels together, and all I have right now are 19 inchers until get some 5.50 and 7.50 16's...... so following instructions from thunderbirdesq's very helpful tech thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462011 I put them together!
    then I put the brakes back on the back, assembled the front end, and threw the tires on..... its just really a mockup, but its the first time I've had the '32 frame rolling, and the first time coupe body has been on it..... so it was kinda exciting!!!

Attached Files:

6. well this morning I threw on a beat-up hood, just to see how looked.... I think it looks pretty good!
    thanks!
    Joe

Attached Files:

7. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

It looks great! The windshield reminds me a lot of the Chrisman coupe and Posies Euroliner. I really dig the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. wow thanks!!! the chrisman coupe is my all-time favorite model A!!! (see avatar)

Joe

9. The car looks great, glad to see it outside!

I was just browsing through some of my photos and came across this one...

[​IMG]

Yours looks much better in my opinion but maybe it could be a little inspiration

Edit: I'm sorry for posting such an enormous picture, I couldn't figure out how to resize it!:eek: If you right click and "view image" it shows up in a normal size so you can actually see it

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  10. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

The Chrisman coupe is waaaaayy up there for me as well. You just can't beat the stance, look, flow, and engineering of it.

If you haven't gotten the book, I would HIGHLY advise it. It is a great read with lots of pictures and history. It's not specific to that coupe, but there is still some amazing information in it. We carry it in the store, but, just to show that I am not just trying to sell you something, here is where you can buy it direct: http://thechrismanlegacy.com/

You may also want to check these threads out. Lucky Burton, formerly of the Old Crow Speed Shop and now the proprietor of Lucky's Hot Rod Shop has been working on a Chrisman look-alike coupe for a few years and has a lot of good pictures posted of it. He is a really nice guy and I am sure he'd point you in the right direction if you had any questions.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319345
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333296

-Rob

11. Thanks! To my eyes, for the hight of that chop..... the angle is tooo laid back.... but thats me! looks to be a cool car anyways!

Yeah that car is just above and beyond.... I will look into getting that book, I think I saw it in TRJ one time... looked cool!
    I think I ran across Lucky's thread a while ago, I'll check it out again!
    Thanks!
    Joe

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That side profile is killer!! The 19"s make it look really mean too.

13. thanks!

14. My focus on the car right now is getting it mounted on the frame, and some structural stuff.... Just boring time consuming stuff that will never be seen, but is very important.....
    So I'll let you guys know when there's some more "fun stuff" being done.

Joe

15. Noland

Noland

your coupe is looking very awesome. keep up the good work.

16. Hey thanks!!! Your coupe is a big inspiration... I'm working on an inner cowl structure, and its all getting drilled out, Ala "Rusty"!!!

thanks,
    Joe

17. Well heres some small stuff I got done... I rebuilt the cowl feet, they were all torched out when I bought the the car. I needed to know the front of the body was secure...
    I also started working on the driver side A post, still a TON of work to do in that area.... oh yeah and everywhere else!!!:D
    haha slowly and somewhat surely!!!

thanks for looking
    Joe

Attached Files:

18. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Yea Rusty is all drilled out, sometimes I think too much. That usually when drilling and deburring the holes I think that. haha. I like the cowl treatment, how you shortened the bodyline. Are you going to use a stock firewall?

19. Well I haven't decided on the firewall yet, probably just gonna go with a stock one.... But I was also thinking about a flat bare aluminum one, I don't know if "they" were doing that in the '51/'52 period though....
    But if I do use a stock one I was thinking about trimming the cowl/firewall overlap and just butt-weld them.

Joe

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I have often thought about this method as well. I don't plan on running a hood top but at the same time, I wouldn't want to be caught in the rain without a hood top. And that big overlap makes me think of people with fat upper lips. Haha.

I might have to do some serious thinking on how to work a hood top into the picture and be able to drive with just the hood sides whenever I want and use the top whenever I need to.

21. I think hood sides and no top can look really good on some cars.... The only thing is with flames(or another similar paint job) the layout might not make sense without the hood, because the flames start on the grill shell and then there's a gap, then they end on the cowl.... I don't know! haha sometimes I overthink small visual stuff...

Anyways
    Not really any progress, but I did spend all day helping the guy up the road work on one of his model As..... (he had a stroke 8 years ago, he can't really do much.... I enjoy helping him) And as a bonus he sometimes gives me parts for my car, mostly small kine stuff..... but today he GAVE ME A .125 over bored model A engine minus the head(!!!!), and a Murray cowl!!!!!!!!! so stoked!!!! And I bought some stuff from him, including a fairly decent '36 spare tire cover for $100!
    Eventually I'm gonna narrow the cowl and use that engine to make a pre-war banger modified! Don't worry I'm not gonna cut up the firewall, I heard they are rare...

I'll post pics of the loot tomorrow

Joe

22. Here's some photos of the stuff I got yesterday.... I didn't see any markings on the headlights, but are sealed beam so at $20 each I couldn't not get them.... the windshield frame is off a '37 dodge pickup, I will have to modify the shape a bit(and of course chop it).
    Does anyone know what year the spoon pedal is? I don't I've ever seen one like it....
    enjoy!
    Joe

Attached Files:

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Awesome. Those headlights look better than the ones I bought for $10 at a swap meet. I'll probably run those until I find a better pair like Guides or BLCs.

24. There's just something about lightening holes...... This is the start of the under-cowl bracing. I have decided on using a flat aluminum firewall, which may eventually get polished.
    thanks for your comments

Joe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. oldsboy

oldsboy

26. shane85

shane85

cool build man

27. There IS just something about lightening holes. I'm adding a few more tonight to the steering rig.

Keep on it![/QUOTE]

Yeah that piece took me like TWO HOURS to mark and then drill..... haha the things we do!

Thanks!

28. psyclesinc

psyclesinc

Very cool Mann. Keep up the good work!!

29. Thanks Shannon! sorry I couldn't make to your place yesterday... I was to busy!

There won't much progress for a bit here......

30. Noland

Noland

yea it does take alot of time, well worth it though. Looking very good