Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Av8 build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 19, 2012.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I bought a press shortly afterword... great timing on my part. :D

2. thanks guys, I ended up hammering at it for about an hour or so.... and then decided to drill it out. It turns out inner diameter of the perch is 3/4" and happened to have a 3/4" drill bit, so I drilled it out using a Milwaukee angle drill. It worked great!
    Then I used a borrowed spring spreader and put the spring on the axle, and bolted it all to the frame!
    I'll post pics in a bit!

Joe

3. yeah I tried cutting it with a normal hacksaw but it took a LONG time so decided to try something else.
    thanks guys!

Joe

4. Hey guys here are the pictures I promised, not much but it's what been done in the last couple of days....... oh and today I trimmed the front spring perches and primed them!
    enjoy,
    Joe

Attached Files:

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Nice work! you are doing great keep it up!

6. Well I had a lot of time to myself today, and I thought about my plan for the car a lot........ And well the reason I had kinda settled on the roadster was basically that nobody would buy it! But then I was informed by my mother that it would have to have a roll bar, and it would have to be taller than my head while sitting in the car....... and I'm not yet sure how much I'm going to stick up out of the car(I'm 6' 2" tall), and I don't want a big ugly roll bar sticking way up!!! And also the roadster is very rough, maybe even past my skills at the moment.

Roadster: lots and lots of metal work to be done, will have a chopped and raked windshield, oh yeah and a roll bar.

Coupe: need MUCH less work, heavy chop and raked back windshield and A pillars.

So what I'm asking for is YOUR thoughts and opinions, a little input would be SO helpful..........
    thanks in advance,
    Joe

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      493.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      506.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      479.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      492.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

6'2" and a heavy chop might not work so well together.
    Maybe the coupe since its easier, and not such a hard chop? Would still look great.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

You've got the luxury of choice. Go with what you want most.

What's the reason for the roll bar? Is it a requirement for it to be registered or just that your mom wants you to be safer? Roll bars have been used throughout the years and there are certainly some that fit stylistically.

Since you're 6'2", I assume you'll be lowering the seat pan or getting rid of it all together. If that's the case, it's likely that the bar could be fabricated to be at the same height as the windshield.

I'll take a look at my saved roadster photos and pull a few out for you.

9. thanks brent!
    the reason for the roll bar is just my mom wanting it to be safer. I'm probably gonna make the seat lower, I haven't had a chance to test where it should be because neither of the cars really have floors....

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm 6'2", as well. All my cars have (or need) some sort of seat mod. When we chopped my coup, I sat in it with the seat I'm planning to use and figured from there. Good thing I won't be getting any taller, there's no room for it. :D

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

As someone who has pontificated on my project for too long, and am now selling it, can I give you some advice?

build what you want, build it how you want, and don't compromise.

Hawaii ... thats a good place to drive an open car.

Age ...... you're young, thats also good for an open car.

Driving distances .... HhhMmmm you'll need to decide if you are going to drive long distances. If so can you stand a roadster.

Big chop leant back A-pillars ..... maybe photochop a few pictures of one before you strike out with the hacksaw.

Roll-bar ..... when you get older I'm sure Mum won't mind if you take it out.

Skills .... what's going to be easier - too learn new skills and repair either car, or farming out the work to others. remember if you do learn as you go, repairing the roadster will be more forgiving, as complete panels are available if you do not like how it all turns out.

time .... what is going to be quicker

cost ... how much do i have to spend on parts - a coupe costs more to finish off the interior, especially if you have to buy door locks winders window surrounds etc etc

One first then the other - will it really matter which one you build, you can revert to the other if you do not like what you've done.

if you're not confused by now ... well hell you should be.

don't let us make your decision .... make it taking all factors into consideration

12. Roadster - only cause I just brought one and we have similiar tastes.

Attached Files:

13. VonKool13

VonKool13

Uh- roadster all day! Coupes are for chickens! :D

14. Well I like roadsters a lot too, but ratty mine is a lot worse than that one! nice score! The roadster would be sweet, its gonna take just about every patch panel Brookville makes for it(it needs about $730 worth of stuff from them), then theres still gonna be a lot of pieces I'll have to try and make....

The coupe needs wheelwell, rear-quarter, and cowl patches, and I already have the wheelwells and a crappy pair of cowl patches(probably gonna new ones). it has a really nice sub-frame, and its a little more special to me, just because I got it first.

so I'm still thinking about which one, and working on getting the frame rolling for now...

Joe

15. Well I've decided to use the coupe body, and try and sell the roadster(for a sh!t-ton less than I paid for it!) and also sell some other parts. thanks for the help!
    Joe

16. Yeah I heard what your saying. Either way I don't doubt it will be bitchin!

17. Well a bit of a delay, but my thoughts are, probably a 59a, I have an original Offenhauser regular dual intake(I know someone who has an original triple, which I may try to get.....) over-bored not sure how much yet, probably repro heads unless I can find "real" ones, I also have a lead on a merc that I might get the crank out of............ oh yeah stainless valves....I don't know what else yet. The guy I found on my Island to machine/rebuild for me said he might be able to give me a deal if I help him assemble it.... so yeah sorry for the delay and rambling...

18. Oh yeah and today I got about an hour in and built a body-dolly, just throwing together scraps...... here it is
    enjoy

Attached Files:

19. Heres the body on it.......

Attached Files:

20. well last night I removed the the tank part of the cowl top, then started molding the top to the sides. I formed a little piece that rounded the body-line and smoothed the transition to the top, welded it, and then finished it.
    here are some pics...

Attached Files:

21. Beachcomber

Beachcomber
    from Phoenix,AZ

Very cool stuff man, keep it up!

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Five pages and no stars? Ive added my vote. Looks like you are going to build it just the way I like 'em. Subscribed.

David

23. Thanks!

I do have that piece, its just removed right now. I'm not sure if I'll actually use it though, or maybe just parts, because I'm gonna do a pretty heavy chop with leaned back posts...

Thanks David, means a lot coming from you!

Joe

24. I'm gonna try to get the rest of the passenger side cowl done tonight...... I hope.
    I'll see how far I get.
    Joe

25. Elrod

Elrod

26. Here's the finished passenger side cowl section. It's not perfect, but I think it's pretty good for a 16 year old...... next thing is to tackle the other side. I might get to start that tomorrow.

thanks
    Joe

Attached Files:

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Joe, I am impressed a 16 year old has skills and knowledge you are showing!.

David

28. thanks!

29. Heres what went on last night in my shop!!!
    choppity chop chop...... Its only 4 1/2" right now, I'm starting with that to get my seat in there and see where my head is.... My plan is at least an inch more in the back, and an inch and a half in the front(and leaned back with no visor)....... going for wedge/lakes chop!
    thanks,
    Joe

Attached Files:

cully33 likes this.