Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another A coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I_be_moose, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Great start Tim, Thats gonna be a perfect fit.

2. LongT

LongT

With coverage like this you could put out a book. Nice work.

3. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

This is some great tech stuff. Somebody toss him a mackrel.

4. We set the body on the frame today for a trial fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a nice consistent overhang now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that we are happy with the body fit to the frame width we can move on to boxing the rails and adding the crossmembers and kicking up the rear rails in the wheel well area.

Till the next update.....

5. Looks good Tim,the lines fit better,and the frame
    doesn't look quite as heavy,visually.

6. Great Job Tim, it's looking good! I'm setting a '40 ford pickup cab on a '35 frame and some of your tips will come in handy!

7. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Looking Good!!

8. Skimmer

Skimmer

Its good to see detailed pics of any build and your build is lookin spot on ,keep up the pics etc....

9. Lookin' good Tim.

Tell us a little more about the hood sides.

Are they new or did you fill in the louvered area and add the speed bumps?

Been thinking of speed bumps for mine, one side needs them for header clearance.

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Damn, Tim...you've come a long way in a short time! Seems like just yesterday we were looking at the body in your garage...now look at ya go!!:)

EXCELLENT post by the way...kudos to ya for the progress pics and step-by-step text!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

11. The hood sides are not the ones for my coupe. I am working on my coupe at a buddy's garage. He offered inside space that is heated 24-7:eek: Payback for the top I built for his Cabriolet probably. Anyway he is building a 32 Roadster pick-up and they are the hood sides for that. The blister is added to clear a Hemi that he placed between the rails....THey were handy to use as mock-up to check for grill shell spacing and get a nice visual.

Tim

12. Thanks Greg,

I just consider this payback for all the info I have gotten here that will dractically shorten my build by not having to reinvent steps already trodden by others....

Tim

13. As we set the body on the frame where we wanted it we discovered the "C" in the rear did not end up centered in the wheel well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear of the frame also hung down below the body line. To correct this we need to move the rear kick up and the "C" forward. We took careful measurements. Made a cardboard tempelete of the frame and moved it till it was where we wanted. We then transfered these new measurements to the frame, cut trimed and welded it back together. the frame now has the rear kick above the lower body edge and the "C" is centered in the wheel well openning. NOw that we have all the modifications done to the rails we are going to move on to hacking together a jig to add the boxing plates and cross members.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Here is an update on my coupe. Progress is slow but I am making headway. When I left this thread I had the frame mocked up to get my measurements. Our next step was to put together a frame jig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then put the rails into the jib and squared them up and confirmed our measurements.

the next step was boxing and bracing. For added strength in the areas I was adding motor mounts, steering box mounts etc. I added some trusses to tie the outer rail to the boxing plates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got the boxing done I shortened and sectioned the front horns and fabed a V-Bar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next up was cutting and fitting the center cross members

[​IMG]

I made my own rear ladder bars. I wanted to have bushed adjusters.

[​IMG]

I also notched the front for spring clearance

[​IMG]

Wanting to place the motor and brake mounts correctly we shortened the chassis jig to allow enough room to put the body on and clear the ceiling. This is where we are at the moment. Body back on the frame and motor mocked in place to figure out clearance issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we set the rails in the jig we used the top of the I beam as ground reference. As the frame sits in the jig it is at ride height using that as the reference point.

[​IMG]

Front suspention is chrome hairpins with a soon to be drilled I-beam cross steering standard stuff. rear will be coil-overs. More to follow.....

Tim

15. Lucky77

Lucky77

Nice Tim, now hurry up Billetproof is a month away:D

16. Nice work man....I like the plug welded trusses behind the boxong plates. Neat-o !!

Rat

17. chachi243

chachi243

looks great...cool scratch built ladder bars!

18. Florian

Florian

your jig is a ruler! just as the coupe will be

19. YEP and I will be there in the rusty old '36 sloppin paint on something! See Ya then!

Tim

20. Thanks, over-kill but I have sen cracks in that area on other cars so figured it might help...

Tim

21. Still need to cut the lightening holes in the plates!

Tim

22. Built it with found "free" junk for the most part and by using many ideas from here and the RRT...

Tim

23. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Great story, and nice start on your A. Just one more A to keep me motivated to do mine, thanks.

24. drflex

drflex

lookin' good

25. After dealing with work and family issues I finally got back into the shop.

The rear end looked like it was mounted too far back so I put in an axle and bolted on a tire. Nope dead centered. While I had the tire mounted I put a front on the jig to check out the over-all look. I am liking it!

I then removed the body using my engine hoist and 4 straps to center the load weight. Working solo you have to be creative. Next up is finishing the steering box engine and tranny mounts. Weld in the brake booster mount etc. more to follow as progress continues.

Attached Files:

26. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

looks great so far, the hamb is pretty much the home of A coupes on deuce rails!

27. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i like how you got the body off by your self. pretty neat

28. Fabricated the trans mount. I know it seem like an easy thing to buiild but figure thee are enough new builders that going step by step might help someone.

I wanted to be able to remove the trans if needed so I went with a drop out center

[​IMG]

The first step was making the bolt plates. I cut them then bolted together to sand so they match nicely welded on one end and the mount plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I them clamped the center section in the vice to allow me to properly align the other side. I used a length of rod and measurements to try to make both sides even

[​IMG]

On to the bracing plates. I started by using a hole saw. This gave me a nice circle to fit the tube. I then cut it and decided the radius of the curve by eye. Getting a pleasing radius. Gotta look nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After welding the center drop out looks like this

[​IMG]

Next step was to determine the angle of drop from the rails and cut tubing to match I had bolted the center drop to the trans and measured the length and algle but seem to have either lost or not taken pics of that step.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After making sure the mount plate is level cut and mount the other side drop tube

[​IMG]

weld solid and then on to motor mounts

29. Cool stuff Moose.

30. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

Wow, that is really cool. Thats a very nice touch with the frame.