Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another 63 Impala followed me home. this one has funny looking valve covers! pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Tony

Tony

Thanks Jim!
    It's got it's share of damage under it but nothing i haven't done before. It need's complete floors and rear body mounts. I've already got the floor from another car i'm going to use instead of going aftermarket..it'll be nice to put GM tin back in.
    Thanks again everyone..i'll post pics when i start restoring it.

Tony

2. JAWS

JAWS

Well, I'm excited just reading this thread.....great history!

3. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Great sory! Great car! Great circumstances...your Dad will appreciate the "diversion" at this time...and you, too.

4. Tony

Tony

Much appreciated guys..

Tony

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Tony, I gotta see every detail of this build. Especially the engine running on the stand( are you computer literate enough to post video? I know I'm not)

On a side note, thanks for tellin my old man your plans for the car. I know it made him happy to hear that it was headed to a good home.

Enjoy that car buddy

6. Great story. Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated...

7. Tony

Tony

Joe, i'm not that pc literate, but i'll figure it out. I've got a new oil pump and gasket set on it's way and will be taking the carb apart within the next day or so. Hopefully by next weekend i'll have it on the stand and ready to fire.
    Knowing the history of the car with your family, i will make sure to keep you up on it's progress once i get going on it. And i'm real happy to hear your dad was happy about where it went. Makes me feel good too.

Baring a life threatening ordeal, it'll be will me til i kick it :)

Tony

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow,
    Great story
    Great Son
    Great Dad
    and Great car!!
    Good for you and your Father !!
    Now enjoy...:)

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

Its great to see a dream come true. Enjoy espc. with your dad. My dad always talked about his 50 Chevy convertible. He sold it in 57 around Forsyth Mo. Baby blue,white top. whitewalls and the 6 was built by Ace machine shop in Whicata Ks. Maybe I'll find it someday.

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tony, I couldn't be happier for you & your dad. Cool story and cool car.

11. Tony

Tony

Thanks Bob, and everyone.
    This car will be one of the most important cars, and builds i will ever do. The only one that's in the same zone for me is my 57 which was my first car.
    I just got back from my buddy's shop where i have it and still can't believe it's there! hahaha :D

Tony

12. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Great car! Great story too! Way to go!

13. BigChief

BigChief

I heard from Babs about this. Nice find.

Congrats!

14. Tony

Tony

Thanks Mike..
    I sent you and him pics at the same time..thought it went through.
    Sorry 'bout that.

I gotta get together with you on the other 409 soon, and talk cam stuff.
    i'll call ya soon and we'll meet up if you have time.

Thanks again! this one is BIG for me! :)

Tony

15. I will trade you a 350 for that boat anchor! :D nice score and excellent story man!

16. cool...now get ''er done.....your dad is waiting....

17. Tony

Tony

Haha..he honestly has started to bust my balls about it..it's very different for him and i'm getting a big kick out of it.
    The '09 is all cleaned up with a new Mellings Select oil pump, and regasketed already. Just about ready for a fresh coat of paint.
    Everything on the inside looked great. It must have been rebuilt at some point, it's that clean.
    Rebuilt the distributor too and picked up all new tune up crap for it.
    I have to bead blast all the bolt on's and repaint them, along with rebuild the carb yet but i'm hoping to have it on the start stand by next weekend.
    It's all stock so it's not going to be some barn burner but thats ok. At some point i might slip a bigger stick in it just to get a little more power and a little rumble but even thats something i need to think about when the time comes.
    For now, i just want to hear it run.

Tony

18. bigmike

bigmike

congrats Tony awesome find!

19. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

So i take it that its a 340HP PG car? sweet. Way cool.

20. cheap1

cheap1

Awesome story Tony. Your story sounds eerily familiar. Although I chose "the find one and make it like Dad's" route, I know all about a connection with a car. It's nice to know there are still survivors out there waiting to be nabbed!

21. shoestring

shoestring

Awesome story! Can't wait for the update when that 409 is pulling its own wait.

22. Best of luck with the new find Tony!

23. sgnova72

sgnova72

Great story. Cool that you found the exact paint and trim with an original 409. I will be watching this thread for further updates.

24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Congrats Tony. You done good.

I will be one waiting for lots of build pics also, as I contemplate rejuvinating my '64 soon.

25. Tony

Tony

Dakota, yes it's a 340hp glide car. Not exactly the QB code dual quad 4 speed but i'm still overly happy with it! lol
    Thanks guys.
    Well, i'm hopefully about a week out of hearing it run. It's cleaned and painted, new pump and gaskets and i got the carb kit today.
    I do have to blast the intake yet and get that and the misc stuff painted and back on.
    I ordered a new water pump for it too, i didn't want to dick around with any of the cores i have laying around.
    Here's a few pics for now. The valve covers are actually the originals, but someone painted them silver at some point. There's chrome under it, and if it's not that good i have a couple original chrome covers hanging on my wall that will find there way on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats about it for now. I'll keep updates coming for those interested.

Thanks again!
    Tony

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Hey, hows that engine stand handle the weight?

27. Tony

Tony

That stands a monster so there's no strain on it at all. It even has a crank to rotate the motor instead of the normal locking pin/rotate by hand deal.
    Not sure what the weight rating on it is, but it's definitely not the average stand.

28. Tony

Tony

Aside from a couple hoses, fuel line, alt and misc stuff, it's ready to fire.
    Hopefully i'll pick up the start stand this week and have it running before the weekend providing the rest of the items i need get here.
    Unfortunately the chrome on the valve covers was not savable so i just repainted them. Eventually i'll have them rechromed.

Just thought i'd throw up a couple pics.
    Hillbilly, make sure to show your pop's. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tony

29. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Holy Crap! Is that the same air cleaner? Lookin good Tony

30. Tony

Tony

Believe it or not it is. some 0000 steel wool and a lot of elbow grease and it shined up pretty good. There's still some small spots that didn't clean up that good and the and the end of the snorkel was cut off but it'll work for now :)
    I'll see what i can do about a vid when it's running.

Thanks Joe,

Tony