Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another 63 Impala followed me home. this one has funny looking valve covers! pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Tony

Tony

I debated posting this because it was more of a father/son thing with me and this car, but i've been told it may be kind of a cool story to share...
    So, here i go.....

For the past 15 plus years (probably more like 20 really) i have been searching for a non SS, Palomar red 63 Impala with a black interior. See, my dad ordered one brand new with the 327 300, 4 speed and 4:11 posi. Of all his car's, it's the one he talked about most. Since i was a kid, i heard those stories etc etc, and developed a love for 63's..and wanted one like my dad had..
    Anyone who is a close friend of mine know's how often i'd mention finding this car.....one even called me saying he was happy for me, and happy he won't have to hear it anymore! lol
    Anyway, I know i could have cloned my dads VERY simply, but wanted one that came out of GM with those colors. Call me stupid (go ahead you would not be the first by any means) but in my mind, it HAD to have the 948 paint-811 trim codes or it was not going to do.
    I've had a couple other 63's, both great cars but both sold off...

Fast forward to a little over a week ago. I posted some pics of my past and present Impala's on the "Show us your Impala" thread.
    As i was scrolling through i came across a Palomar red non SS hardtop needing restoration in NY with the words "could be for sale" typed under it.
    I sent an pm asking about it, and wondering if i could buy the car rolling as i have a 63 327 and 4 speed...The owner told me the car was a 409 originally, AND, was 100% complete with the born with motor still with the car!!!!!!!!!!
    This one is a glide car but i don't care at all.
    It's also got some options too..like, tilt, ps,pb, tinted windshield, rear speaker, rear ant, padded dash, dual mirrors and posi.
    My heart jumped and all hell broke loose in my mind! hahaha
    There were many pm's sent back and forth etc etc...
    As fate would have it a couple other local HAMBer's happened to be headed to his place to get a truck he sold to one of em, so they took a look at it for me...
    After a call from them, i got back in touch with the owner and set a date to see it.
    That day was this past Sat..After walking in the building and seeing it, it took me 5 minutes ( or less) to say I WANT IT and bought the car i've been searching for for what seem's like a lifetime.

It needs a LOT of work but i'm looking forward to bringing this car back to life..And he's excited to have the keys to a maroon 63 once again in the near future!
    He walked in my buddy's shop and stopped in his tracks....said, "THATS IT!" following with "wow does that bring back memories." with a big old smile on his face..
    It was a great feeling.
    I would have been happy locating ANY 63 these original colors, but finding an all original 409 with everything still intact is unreal! The carb, alt etc are all original to this car..they did a GREAT job of keeping everything together!
    And the inside of the '09 looks UNREAL! It'll be on our start stand, and woken out of it's 20 year slumber in about a week!

Before i go any further, i want to say THANK YOU to hillbilly4008 on here. It was his car, and had sentimental value as well. Thank you for working out a deal with me once again. This car was on the top of the list of cars i hoped to own someday.
    I truly never thought i'd find "the one"...let alone a 409..
    It's a true keeper in every sense of the word!!

On a side note, the weather SUCKED when we went to get this thing. We must have gotten 2 or 3 inches of snow as we were loading it up and the ride was by far NOT pleasant either way..it snowed like a bitch!!

So without any more nonsense, here are some pics..

First is my dad's car. 2 from when he brought it home in aug of 63, and one when he ran lancers on it. thats from my aunts wedding in aug of 64.
    Sorry for the poor quality of these, they are pics of pics and i took them with my phone camera. the one's of mine are also from my phone so still kinda crappy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now, his son's.........that dad will have key's for and probably have more than me when its done! :D:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this motor pic is one of hillbilly's. mine was too dark.
    [​IMG]

Well, i tried to lump a LONG story into something a bit shorter so hopefully it wasn't all over the place.

Thanks for your time.

Tony

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

damn cool story

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Big congrats for you and your dad! Hope y'all have fun together with the toy of Dad's dreams! Fuuny valve covers aren't over a 327/300 because you already knew that.

4. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Really cool find and story! you and your old man will have more fun than you can imagine getting the old girl put back to her original glory. i still get a big kick outta the look on my pops face when he gets in his OT 1958 tr3 we rebuilt for him. he gave up all his toys to raise us brats, nice to give him a little payback:)

5. Pretty cool man, pretty cool...

6. Ebert

Ebert

Way cool! Congrats!!!

7. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

8. Tony

Tony

Thanks guys.
    My mom passed this past year, so this could not have happened at a better time for both me and my dad. Even though i have other stuff my dad can drive anytime he wants, he really dosn't. This on the other hand, i know he will. I'm hoping it will be something to occupy his mind, and idle time. enough talk of that though..not really a great topic for me i'm sure you all can understand.
    I just can't wait for the day i can hand the key's over to him.

Tony

9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Is the '09 a 340 hp???

10. Enjoy it! Very cool story.

11. Tony

Tony

Yeah it's a 340hp. I actually have an original dual quad intake and carbs but i won't be putting them on this. It's too original to mess with.

Tony

12. Well those rocker covers all all jacked up. I'd get rid of that thing immediately for sure.

great score and damned good story. You done good.

13. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

solid '63, can't go wrong with an impala. :cool:

14. What a great story. I think what you are doing for your Dad is awesome. Treasure every moment, my friend. By the way, the '63 is just bitchin'! Thanks for sharing.

15. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

A great story ... thanks for sharing, Tony!

16. Tony

Tony

Thanks! It's great to see some interest back after all those years. He even called one of his closest childhood friend's up today who he still talk's to telling him about it. His buddy used to take the car from my dad when he'd go on dates and leave my dad his Triumph. hahaha

Tony

17. dirty4

dirty4

sweet find..keep us updated on the restoration. Love the old chevies!

18. F&J

F&J

Oh no, the 32 is going back to another long sleep? :)

63's are cool, glad you found the right one.

19. ya know with a hammer and dolly you can fix those dents on the valve covers of that 454.. lol.. nice score..

20. josh77

josh77

Cool find and story. Full size 60's Chevrolets RULE!

21. pdq67

pdq67

The old 409 truck engine that I bought that I bored .060" over and made into an 11.5 to 1 CR'd engine and then hopped up had a 348 trip intake along with the stock great big chrome air cleaner and chrome valve covers on it.

You talk about as Toad's girl would say, "Bitchin"!!!

To this day, "W" valve covers give ma a "woody".....................

The 409 "W" fit down in my '67SS/RS Camaro like stock and on my 350's mounts like it came from the factory with it... 2.5" dia. cast-iron exhaust manifolds to boot

pdq67

22. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

yeah.... they should be goin on the other impala with funny looking valve covers!:D

23. Tony

Tony

Truthfully, yes it is. But not nearly as long as before. lol
    Might sound nuts to most, but, this car will take precedence over anything i have or could have. It's been that long of a search and waiting.

The 32 i'm working on WON'T be sold, just put away for a short time as soon as i finish the floors, which will be this weekend.
    I've got too many projects going at one time right now, and need to get back on the 62 Impala i started back in March of last year. That car is about done, and when it is there is going to be no break.
    The 63 will be completely torn down and the restoration started right away :)
    Just need to figure out how the hell i'm going to afford all of this! I'm now broke after buying the 63!
    Sledbuilder, you reading my mind or something? that was the long term plan for those parts :D
    I'll let you know next time i'm out there.

Thanks guys,
    Tony

24. Love the story, and love the car. Good on you for finding a copy of your dad's car. I sort of did the same with my '56 210 HT I bought five years ago. When I was born, my dad had a red '56 210 HT. He sold it a few years later. While I don't truly remember the car, I've been a sucker for 56's my whole life. When I found the blue one I have now, I was cautious until I learned it was originally a red car after decoding the cowl tag. No lookin' back after that. It will be it's original matador red again someday, although my dad's had been repainted 'chinese' red. BTW, dad sold the '56 to buy a one year old turquois '64 Impala 2dr HT which he kept cleaner than us kids. Sorry for the ramble. Enjoy!

25. Tony

Tony

Thats cool! not rambling as all!

Tony

26. Thanks, if you'll humor me one more moment... here's Dad's in August '59:

[​IMG]

Here's mine in the driveway of the prior owner:

[​IMG]

27. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

good stuff tony, congrats!

28. Tony,

Congrats on picking that one up. Is it as solid as I thought it was? I wasn't able to get under it in the shop. Is it coming apart yet?

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Way to go buddy! Glad it found it's way home, haha!

30. Sauli

Sauli

Oh wow..., what a find! Good for You, Tony! Always liked the ´63 myself, but a 409 to boot! And what a fitting end (or start of a new chapter, rather!) to the coolest story!
    I think it´s safe to say this particular old car ended up where it´ll be appreciated for exactly what it is!!!:)
    Be sure to post progress pics once You get started on it, I for one would appreciate getting to see You work on it!