Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another 55 Straight Axle Chevy Gasser build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

that thing is killer! If Im ever up that way with my '52 (when its finish) i'd love to check it out in person.

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Had a little more lettering done last couple days. I had a straight axle 57 Chevy back in 1971 that was named Quick Trip. Was a race car I was going to convert to the street, but wound up swapping it for a 63 Corvette. Competition Speed was a short lived speed shop in Gloucester that closed it doors in 1972 (most of my paychecks were spent there Friday night soon as I had cashed them . :rolleyes: ).
    Almost finished. One more day this coming week for a little more lettering, and it will be as good as it gets.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

that looks killer man!

4. Chopperman

Chopperman

Very cool.
    I've read your build up at least 3 times looking at how you set it up.

I stole a few of your ideas.

5. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Baron, I'll bet it will be a Quick Trip, 1320 feet at a time. I've been getting into mine a little & they do run good. Dan;)
    Oh! and the lettering looks great!!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  6. dualquadpete

dualquadpete

I'didn't read all the threads here, but did see something that I was told wouldn't work. I'm doing a 52 Canadian Pontiac [same as Chevy] sitting on a 85 Olds Cutlass Chassis. I wanted to go straight axle but was "told" if the strg. box is out front it won't work, has to be a "rear" steer box, but I'm looking at at frt' strg box!!! Now I;m confused???????

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dan. They do go good for small displacement motors( I've had bigger cu. in. small block Chevies :D ).

As a gereral rule of thumb,if the steering box is in front of the axle, the pitman points toward the rear of the car. If the box is behind the axle,the pitman arm points forward.

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is an old picture of the original Quick Trip.This was the 57 Chevy I traded my 57 Corvette for back in 1971. Was going to turn it back into a street car, but being married and a new son, traded it for a 63 Corvette that could be driven everyday.
    [​IMG]
    And finally, almost 40 years later, a dream fulfilled.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Looks great Baron...another 55 gasser up and running.

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thought this picture was kinda kool. :)
    [​IMG]

11. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Baron, we must be 2 peas in a pod, I was dicken' around the other day & changing colors on the computer too. I'll throw in a couple extra for good measure. Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that our cars are done( or close to being finished if that is possible...) I think we are bored. Time to start on the next project. Your car always looks great.
    I think I figured out where you came up with the paint scheme for you car. ;)

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Headliner is in and rest of interior is finished. Makes it a lot more civilized with this done and the back seat area finished off. Another 2 or 3 weeks and it will be time to put it away for the winter. Been a lot of fun driving it this this season.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Looks great, man I have got to get going on my 55's both are in hybernation and idle mode. :eek:. I need a few clones of myself to pick up the slack. :eek::D. CGM

16. 2Loose

2Loose

I put mine in front and it works great, and the pitman arm points to the rear, I posted some shots on my page if you want a look-see.....
    LINK to photos

Baron, have loved following your build, wish mine was coming together that fast. I seem to be hung up on welding up the firewall, keep finding more and more holes to patch up, would have been ahead to just cut it out and start with a fresh sheet of sheet metal!!!!!:mad:
    But it's almost done.
    Really good to see yours running and on the road!
    I'm aiming for January myself....
    Aloha,
    Willy

PS, That photo above is now hanging up in my shop....
    More inspiration....

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. That lettering really completes the look of your car, nice all around job on it.

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a little striping added to the dash this winter. Sure miss driving it.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. lorodz

lorodz

looks awsome...

20. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

Cool efi setup for bbc check it out. Sold

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  21. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My tow vehicle is nearing completion. I’ll trailer the 55 if I take it on any long distant events, and when I take it to the drags,hopefully this spring.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. Butch M

Butch M

Hey Baron the tow rig is cool ...and thanks for the info on the pic's in the mag....

24. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Very nice setup you have there. Think you might make HAMB drags his year? Would love to see that '55 in person.

DuckusCrapus

25. Mac_55

Mac_55

Baron that car just oozes tough............... oughta be one helluva combination with the 55 and the COE .

26. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

uonwamos, can you get any shots of your ladderbars and rear suspension for me please? Looks exactly like what I want to do. Thank you. Mark L

27. glassguy

glassguy

hey baron.. is that the same shop?? for some reason i thought there was 2 bays.. maybe its the laquer fumes!

28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same shop. I have the first two bays. That is enough for me. The days of 8 employees and all the headaches that go with it are long gone. This lets me work my 4 day work week, and the rest of the time for my projects. ;)

29. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice.

30. That's a nice combo, any shots of the tow rig by it's self ?