Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another '55 Chevy parts car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by partsdawg, Sep 1, 2012.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I still think I'd save that car. I'm starting with worse. Some welding, metal slapping, etc.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A shame that front seat isn't stock. The originals go about a grand these days.
    There was a 55 post car like that one down the street from my house for about 30 years. It moved from driveway to yard to garage to relative's house over those years as it was ticketed as a junk vehicle. Then a couple of years ago disappeared. It was a horrible rotten car only because it had been outside all those years without being cared for at all. My son came home one day from a car hunting trip around the nearby neighborhoods and made me ride with him about a mile from home. There in a driveway sat that rotten rotten car just as it always looked BUT it have brand new 18" rims and rubberband tires on it, a new exhaust system and bedspreads over the rotten grease-stained seats. Also a fresh inspection sticker and license plates.
    He saw it again recently and NOTHING has been done to it but driving it. ???

3. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

I see what you mean, my buddy needs a front clip and hood. my other buddy just sold 2 nice fenders for 600.00 yea ,cut it up so others may live....

4. Dyce

Dyce

Dang Let me know what you want and call me!! I'm the one that came from South Dakota for the 31 A Coupe rear section.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Front seats go for a $1000 in Texas? We should work out a deal to transport them from here.I can buy them for $250.00,the ones at swaps arent selling for more than $300.00.
    I bought a set of seat frames,front and rear that sat in the roof of a garage since the 60's and have no rust whatsoever for $200.00
    I was looking at 2 of the posts above noting that one is Texas and the other California.My guess is that the rotted '55 in Texas isnt nearly as rotted as this one and the Cali fenders for $600.00 were a lot better than whats seen around here.
    Fenders that need top caps and may have some lower rust are at the swaps and bring maybe $100.00.
    I paid $500 for this one and drove 3 hours 1 way to get it.Paid $100 for the 4 door I bought last year.I did a posting on that one when I bought it.I dont plan on selling parts they go into my spare parts collection.
    There are plenty of 2 door sedans left out there.All it takes to find them is asking around.They may not be sitting outside and easy to spot as they were in the past.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think alot of people dont realize how much time and money it would take to save a car like that 55,yes most parts are available to rebuild it but it would take the person with average skills many years to get it back in shape and you could never get your money back out of it when you could buy a driver for less. I could see someone building a car like that if it had family history and were planning on keeping it for many years and keeping it in the family for future generations but to save it just to save it is just crazy,I got my dads 55 Ford convertible which sat in the garage for almost 40 years but the rust that it had from 13 years on the road kept on eating it during the years of storage making it a little more tough to repair then I thought it would be to fix. If it would have been a car he picked up used I think I would have sold it and found another but it was his first and only new car and me and my sisters were brought home when we were born in it so I spent 7 years going through the body which I still need to do a final paint. They are not as easy to fix like the shows on tv make it look.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Okay, after seeing your updated pics (crushed roof, hood and fender) and description of no floor, VIN plate and a shot frame, I'll retract my original comment about 'saving/building' it.
    Had you mentioned all of that info in your lead post, and not posted pics of the "good" quarter and fender I guess there'd be no ensuing drama thread of "what, you're parting that out!?" from everyone.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy howdy Partsdawg, you sure know how to get these guys panties tied up in a wad in a hurry. Just show a couple photos of a roached out 55 Chevy and say it's your parts car.

55 Chevy guys seem to be the biggest whiners when they come to look at a project car too. 20 years ago I had a solid Belair 2 door post that someone had played gasser with that had no front seat, no engine or trans, a gapping hole in the hood where a thunderbolt hood scoop had been and a Pontiac rear axle for sale in the local little nickle for 395 bucks. The add was clear in that it said no engine or transmission but guys showed up expecting to drive it home and several whined because it had the ruined hood or the front seat was missing. I finally traded it to Phil Lovejoy for a daily driver car and parts for my 48. The car even had a clear title and current plates at the time.

9. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I just got rid of a fairly complete 55 Chevy frontend for 75 bucks...tired of dealing with junk shit and just wanted it gone!!!

10. hookedon40

hookedon40

Looking for a set of pedals for a tri 5 car (clutch and brake)

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

owner of page 3

usually 250 on ebay

12. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

admit it ---you baited us with that first set of pictures ...

13. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

front seats here are 600 to 1000 i got a deal on mine at 400