Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another '55 Chevy parts car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by partsdawg, Sep 1, 2012.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Picked this up last fall and this weekend it goes under the knife.
    Save what is useable for inventory so when I finally start building another '55 I will have parts to choose from and spares for the future.

Attached Files:

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

That's not buildable? You've got more there than I started with with my '51...

3. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Looks too good to be a parts car. Cut the 4 doors up and save the 2 doors. Maybe it is worse underneath than the pics show.

4. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

What he said!!! My '55 looked worse when I started on it. Would've loved for it to have been that nice/complete.

5. I think once you clear the ugly's away it will get sweeter.........from its appearance a new floor and braces might be in order....most left over 55's suffered the wrath of time and rusty/crusty floors, braces, etc. It is a post car .......most desirable for the gasser craze, 10 K later you will be even further along:eek:, glad to see you are going in to build the dream 55, good luck.:)

6. I've seen MUCH worse get saved. The weather is nice, and I'd do a good clean-up on the car and see what you've actually got. It may not be as bad as you think.

There's lots of guys here on the board who would be interested in that car just as it sits. I would consider that before you cut it up.

7. Deuces

Deuces

So, your gonna cut that up huh???...
    What a waste!... :(:rolleyes:

8. Keith English

Keith English

if you do finally decide to cut it up...:(, i maybe be interested in a couple of things if you dont keep them.

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

That car is 5000 away from being an okay driver and 15000 way from being a very nice - decent - good car.

Cutting that up is a waste....

11. Fenders

Fenders

I parted out a 56 Chev a couple years ago, posted pix of the car on the trifive site offering parts, and got the same shit about how it could be restored ....

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Years ago I parted out a '55 more door and still regret it. I think that 2 dr post is far too good to part out.

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

When you "finally start building another '55". Unless you have a roller more cherry than this currently stashed away, you may find years down the road you'll have regretted cutting this one up instead of building it-buildable tri fives are getting scarce and expensive! Looks pretty darn solid-and complete down to the coveted front seat.

14. dudley32

dudley32

Man...I wish I could find one that nice...

15. henry29

henry29

It's hard to believe people still cut up and part out good tri-five's.

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I haven't heard anyone throw him an offer yet though..... ;)

17. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

CUT IT UP ????? If you're gonna cut that one up you would have just crushed what was left of mine. Mine started as a firewall and roof , trunk lid and upper 1/4 halves. Keep it and build it or sell it as a roller to somebody that will SAVE IT !! If you're stripping it, I sure could use those 1/4 panel spears.....

18. Tony

Tony

Around here that's a quality builder, and i'm being serious.
    It's your car so do what ya want but sure is a shame to hack it up for parts when most would use that AS the car they'd be getting the parts for.
    Thats better than the 57 2 door post i sold a couple years back for 3000..

If it wasn't in Mn i'd be throwing an offer :)

Tony

19. slammed

slammed

Maybe some more pix, and a list of what you need for the the other car may save this one.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like it doesn't even run. I'd just crush it.

21. I thought it looked pretty good but after a second look I noticed it had a flat tire. Too bad.

22. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Hell that aint no parts car, my 55 was in scrap condition when I got it!!

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

And now for the rest of the story.Several factors come into play with this one.
    Frame broken pass. side.
    Car has no title and vin plate along with data plate gone.Minnesota does not accept titles from places like Broadway so it's a bond thing.
    No floor pan.The only thing making it look like a hump by the shifter is the pre-molded plastic mat hasnt collapsed.
    With the economy/market drop driver '55's can be found for $10K or less.Why spend hundreds of hours building one when you can be driving one for less time and money this one needs.
    Ever see '55 stuff at swapmeets? Rapidly losing value as just about everything is repo'd.Regardless of what is posted most dont pay if stuff is in the classifieds.
    Wheel bearings will set a guy back at over $80.00 per so it's a good thing to save the drums.
    Did I mention the roof,hood/trunk lid/drivers door/drivers rear 1/4 were all damaged.The roof needs replacing.More pics.
    I do have 3 more '55's.2 can be seen in the pics.Bought the red one for the perfect one piece frame.The white roofed one behind it was hit in the front in 1962 with 18,000 miles on it.Pefect from the firewall back.The one in the garage is as good as the white roof one and is complete.
    If I had a dollar for every post that has the phrase "wish it was closer" in it I could retire.
    Had my first offer from a HAMB'r. A whopping $200.00.I dont think so.
    I bought this from a crush yard.It was 1 day away from heading to China.

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

pics didnt load

Attached Files:

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to agree its a parts car and is a shame someone let it get that bad but now some parts are going to keep others alive,I hate cutting up 2 doors but it would be much easier and cheaper to find one better to start with.

26. A Rodder

A Rodder

Maybe I assumed it was better than it was judging by the first pics, good luck either way.

27. Deuces

Deuces

Unbelievable!...:rolleyes:

28. bustingear

bustingear

You call that a parts car!?!?

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I had this 55 and had to listen to everyone saying it can be saved would give it to the first one to come and get it,the catch is you would have a year to get it back in shape and if it was not done I would come and get it and then start cutting it up.

30. Tony

Tony

Those new pics do make it easier to get parting it out....and the no vin plate would seal the deal unfortunately.
    Truth be told i have a 64 Impala 2 door hard top that will be cut up..it's similar in shape, and has no vin either. Kinda hard to save it and put it back on the road without legal numbers..and simply put, not worth it.

Best of luck, it will at least help with some good parts.

Tony